NHS Discrimination of type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Neal. I don’t think you are being over-sensitive. However, as someone who is heavily involved with paediatric diabetes, I can promise you that technology is also very hard to access for this group as well, be they T1 or T2. I was at a hospital in a different area on Friday and was told that there are 7 criteria that need to be met for a child to be given a libre! The cynic in me knows that the criteria are designed to limit prescription to an absolute minimum.
I agree, but surely it is a false economy compared to the cost of testing strips, over use of bolus and the incredible NHS costs of dealing with a hypo.. or limb loss with hyper. If the technology delivers what it promises (and so far the indications are all positive) it should be a no-brainer.

I’ve always banged on about national health. It’s not national it’s local because every area has different protocol.
Anyway as the prime minister. Wether you like her or not she is the leader of this country.
I for one agree she should have the libre for free and any other diabetic aid going. She’s running our country so whatever she has get over it.
By the way type 3c we arn’t discriminated against, because they ain’t heard of it.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I doubt Mrs May gets her Libre free - she has avoided saying either way, because it’s a political nightmare whichever.

I am quite sure Mrs. May just pays for it herself. I had not heard of this until it was mentioned
On pmqs. I went onto the internet and googled it thinking it would help me, but it see,s to be for people on insulin. I am not on anything other than Metformin.

I am quite sure Mrs. May just pays for it herself. I had not heard of this until it was mentioned
On pmqs. I went onto the internet and googled it thinking it would help me, but it see,s to be for people on insulin. I am not on anything other than Metformin.
You would be unlikely to get it on prescription, though some on here self fund it. I have been in two minds to give it try myself. I am currently on the waiting list for when Abbott start to accept new clients again.

If it would be an advantage I would self fund because I can afford to. As far as Neal’s comments are concerned, I agree. One of the things that make me angry is the opinions widely expressed by medical and non medical people alike, is that those who have typ2 have it because of their lifestyle.

Of all my relatives who had typ2, not a single one had a bad lifestyle and all of them were thin or skinny and normal body weight for their age and height. None of them including me ate rubbish - I get so angry.

I agree, but surely it is a false economy compared to the cost of testing strips, over use of bolus and the incredible NHS costs of dealing with a hypo.. or limb loss with hyper. If the technology delivers what it promises (and so far the indications are all positive) it should be a no-brainer.

You know that, I know that and I can promise you that consultants and DSNs know that, too. The problem is that the CCGs and accountants don’t seem to know that.

Hi. I'm going to get straight to the point to try to separate out some of the issues. What is your BMI or weight? If it is high then insulin may not be helping much as it may be adding to blood that is already overloaded with insulin thru insulin resistance. The amount of insulin you are injecting is a pointer to having some excess weight but it varies a lot and I may be wrong. Are you having a low carb diet; this is essential? If you are slim then that may point to T1 (LADA) an there are two tests that can help. I think you need to separate out these points first before pushing to hard for CGM etc. If you are having hypos and big BS swings then make sure you have balanced the Basal and are carb-counting the Bolus i.e. adjusting it to the carb in your meal.

This is a subject that interests me also. I'm T2 on Humalog plus Toujeo soon to add Dulaglutide. My requests for CGM have either been ignored or refused. Now, I am not a legal type but one wonders whether there may not be a case for claiming that I am, we are, being discriminated against using the Human Rights Act to support the claim. Why should one be discriminated against? Both T1 and T2 on insulin are bound by law to test glucose levels before and during driving. I'm discriminated against by being forced to use an absolutely barbaric method to obtain blood glucose results. Well, this is my line of thought and I would like to throw this open to all. Your comments would be most welcome. Thanks.

oth T1 and T2 on insulin are bound by law to test glucose levels before and during driving. I'm discriminated against by being forced to use an absolutely barbaric method to obtain blood glucose results.

That's not a winning argument, since DVLA requires blood tests (which CGM and FGM are not). (Continuous monitoring is surely an advantage if you're a driver, but you still need to perform blood tests.)

I think it’s a tad over dramatic to describe finger prick testing as absolutely barbaric. I use the Libre continually, but I always use finger prick testing recovering from a hypo, because the Libre runs behind by about 15 minutes. The Libre tests interstitial fluid.

If you think that’s barbaric, you’ve obviously never had a rigid colonoscopy.

Nobody is discriminating - T2s are equally able to purchase Libres as T1s, personally having tried one for 6 weeks since it never bore the slightest resemblance to what my BG meter said even allowing for the time lag difference, I still can only rely on BG meter testing which I'd hardly consider to be barbaric! I've frequently bled more than that hand sewing anyway and my husband always has when attempting to replace light bulbs brake pads etc on various vehicles. I'm always a bit careful with various kitchen knives too LOL - I do love a Sabatier.

I have Wusthof, chopping is watched with baited breath by the family, I’m not erm known for my dexterity. OTOH touch my filleting knife and you dice with death. MINE. :D

Our LA doesn’t give T2 any monitoring equipment at all. Consultant told me that, and he was very apologetic, also very relieved when I whipped mine out and said it was fine, I was already testing cos you guys told me to. Stabbing doesn’t bother me though.

That's not a winning argument, since DVLA requires blood tests (which CGM and FGM are not). (Continuous monitoring is surely an advantage if you're a driver, but you still need to perform blood tests.)
As of two days ago, the guidelines now allow for CGM testing for driving.
https://assets.publishing.service.g...e-to-insulin-treated-diabetes-and-driving.pdf

However, this isn’t much use to me when I’m not using a Libre sensor. I don’t get mine funded, (I don’t meet the criteria because I control my diabetes too well...wait for it.....using a self funded Libre). Comfort and convenience are not grounds for being prescribed a CGM at present, I’m afraid. The new guidelines for the Libre will probably result in about 20% of Type 1s getting it prescribed, so that still leaves 80% of us Type 1s along with 100% of Type 2s not getting it on the NHS.

This is a subject that interests me also. I'm T2 on Humalog plus Toujeo soon to add Dulaglutide. My requests for CGM have either been ignored or refused. Now, I am not a legal type but one wonders whether there may not be a case for claiming that I am, we are, being discriminated against using the Human Rights Act to support the claim. Why should one be discriminated against? Both T1 and T2 on insulin are bound by law to test glucose levels before and during driving. I'm discriminated against by being forced to use an absolutely barbaric method to obtain blood glucose results. Well, this is my line of thought and I would like to throw this open to all. Your comments would be most welcome. Thanks.

On what basis do you feel you are being discriminated against? Pricking fingers is a standard method of checking BG used all over the world. Using a CGM doesn’t totally take away the need to test via finger pricks.

Aye, Bronco Billy, this is a discussion about a non problem. I ignored the Libre last night correcting a hypo, used blood testing. It didn’t hurt.

It’s such a tiny price to pay for having diabetes, it’s just part of life.

LlanbedrBoy clearly has problems with finger pricking, so I wouldn’t like to dismiss his concerns out of hand. I’m genuinely interested to know more about his issues and if we can help him solve them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back