Newly diagnosed with Libre2 questions…

Status
Not open for further replies.
John, sometimes the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle comprehensively beats sophisticated and/or expensive overthought ideas.

Just accept that, despite the best possible D management, going hypo can unexpectedly occur ..... and ALWAYS carry a quick response snack. It can be some dextrose or a mini container of 4 jelly babies, a few fruit pastilles or my current solution the mini-packs of haribo sweets. I am never without something anywhere in the house or anywhere "out" - after a couple of stupid times getting caught out. These days, thanks to alerts from my CGM, I very rarely even go near hypo (never mind actually going hypo). But I still have a mini response pack somewhere close. I had a near hit last week in Aldi, sucked my haribos and problem averted; plenty of choices also from the store shelves - but the answer was in my own pocket!
+1
I carry a funsize pack of skittles in my pocket if I can't carry food in something else, ~17g of fast acting carbs, tastes decent and they conform to my pocket! They do eventually get warm and turn into a congealed mass after being used for a number of days (though I don't carry them all the time only when I think I might need them - i.e. stuck somewhere I can't easily find other food/escape (school plays and the like come to mind)). They are cheap enough to throw away and get a new packet once this happens and even in this state can be eaten if required (in fact rather than throwing them away my children quite like them like this, win-win 😉)

Really there are endless possibilities, different brands of sweets, some in wrappers some not - each with their own degrees of personal convenience for time of year, car, 'potter' cycling or walking and so on. Also, since it is increasingly rare that I'm hypo, just heading low - I'm increasingly needing moderately high GI carbs, rather than fast acting. Such as a biscuit or even one finger of kitkat and I've noticed that I'm sort of "daring myself to push the boundaries", then ready to have a gulp of orange juice or lucozade when I get that wrong. But I'm not encouraging this too early on in one's learning about D!

Christmas time is great, so many alternatives; and this last New Year and after Easter I picked up several "bargains", which weren't really bargains, since in line with the mantra preached by Martin Lewis of Money Saving fame, I inappropriately bought things I really didn't need at all. My grand children are happy to raid my surpluses - except chocolate marzipan which none of them seem to like. Are they really my grandchildren? It was always a favourite in my childhood.

But my ultimate best bargain was mini Haribo packets found in Asda the day after Halloween; 3 bags of 40 mini-packs for 99p and which I'm still working my way through nearly 2 years on! I inherited my Mother's war time frugality AND benefitted from Trick or Treat.

I’ve had the libre for the two seasons I have played (so far) and never lost one due to contact or even training. Even in a load of mud and then getting cleaned up afterwards. And there has been some mud. See me on the left. IMG_1217.jpeg
Arms have never been tackle height based on the rugby rules (laws) and RFU have lowered tackling height this season, based on this arms shouldn’t be wrapping arms, only waist or lower. I’m not worried at all about loosing my libre, I always have a spare. When I am tackling it’s my inner arm not outside that makes contact so again I’ve not had any issues. I’ve not played a match yet with my Onnipod and I am worried about knocking it off mid match, but again I am just going to make sure my stuff is with the first aid kit and it won’t be the first time insulin has been used on the side of the pitch.

I don’t think this helps you. What might is the dexcom which can we worn legs, back, torso etc. I would say if you seriously want to get back into it speak to your team, our tech and medication should fit into our lives if it can and this would be a better solution.

I don’t wear ID, maybe I should, I had the paid subscription med ID when I was diagnosed but my parents stopped paying when I was 18 and I’ve never needed it. Same with wallet ID. I have the emergency info in my medical ID on my phone. The emergency services do check this so I always think that will be enough. I’m nearly 18 years diagnosed and I’ve only needed help with lows when I was pregnant, I will get something for when I am driving.

For matches I have a carton of fruit juice and sweets if low, again never had a low yet during a game

Thanks @PhoebeC good to hear 🙂

Good luck with the Omnipod and I'll have a look at where other sensors can be placed/moving my Libre around to somewhere less likely to be in the way for me 🙂

I’ve had the libre for the two seasons I have played (so far) and never lost one due to contact or even training. Even in a load of mud and then getting cleaned up afterwards. And there has been some mud. See me on the left. View attachment 27122
Arms have never been tackle height based on the rugby rules (laws) and RFU have lowered tackling height this season, based on this arms shouldn’t be wrapping arms, only waist or lower. I’m not worried at all about loosing my libre, I always have a spare. When I am tackling it’s my inner arm not outside that makes contact so again I’ve not had any issues. I’ve not played a match yet with my Onnipod and I am worried about knocking it off mid match, but again I am just going to make sure my stuff is with the first aid kit and it won’t be the first time insulin has been used on the side of the pitch.

I don’t think this helps you. What might is the dexcom which can we worn legs, back, torso etc. I would say if you seriously want to get back into it speak to your team, our tech and medication should fit into our lives if it can and this would be a better solution.

I don’t wear ID, maybe I should, I had the paid subscription med ID when I was diagnosed but my parents stopped paying when I was 18 and I’ve never needed it. Same with wallet ID. I have the emergency info in my medical ID on my phone. The emergency services do check this so I always think that will be enough. I’m nearly 18 years diagnosed and I’ve only needed help with lows when I was pregnant, I will get something for when I am driving.

For matches I have a carton of fruit juice and sweets if low, again never had a low yet during a game
That’s amazing Phoebe! I assume you were good at rugby before to Libre2 and this isn’t a superpower?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back