Newly diagnosed with Libre2 questions…

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnC2001

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 3c
Hello everyone

I’m just about to swap my soon to expire Libre2 sensor for the first time and I’d appreciate peoples views/experience on a few things…

1 - How and where am I mean to dispose of the applicator and used sensor. In my sharps bin?

2 - I bought some cheap sensor protector strips on Amazon which seem to work. However they don’t have a hole in the middle so match the corresponding hole in the sensor. Abbot website says don’t cover hole! Do people make holes in the protectors or leave them covered?

3 - Is there much difference in look or performance of the more expensive protective sensor covers?

With advance thnaks

John

1 - How and where am I mean to dispose of the applicator and used sensor. In my sharps bin?
Different people have different advice.
As the sharp is hidden within the applicator, I was told to dispose of mine in my general waste.
The sensor has no sharp items so there is no reason to put them in a sharps bin. Again, these can go in the general waste. If you are concerned by having "internal fluids" in them, put them where you put any plasters/bandaids.
2 - I bought some cheap sensor protector strips on Amazon which seem to work. However they don’t have a hole in the middle so match the corresponding hole in the sensor. Abbot website says don’t cover hole! Do people make holes in the protectors or leave them covered?
Many of us find there is no reason for any covers.
If they were needed, Abbott would provide them.
I find if my arm is clean and dry without any greasiness (no moisturisers, etc) they stick fine. Some people wipe their skin with alcohol (you can buy wipes or just a bottle of surgical spirit) to clean and "de-grease" your arm.
The other thing to consider is placement - place it on a flat part of your arm that does not bend.

3 - Is there much difference in look or performance of the more expensive protective sensor covers?
As above, try without unless you are exceptionally sweaty or intending to spend long periods with your arm submerged in water.

Thanks for this. I’ve always been quite active and fear camping, swimming etc will challenge the adhesive plus I have a big and joyously boisterous Goldendoodle so I’m using the protective patches to guard against her licks and “loving- bumps”!

Thanks for this. I’ve always been quite active and fear camping, swimming etc will challenge the adhesive plus I have a big and joyously boisterous Goldendoodle so I’m using the protective patches to guard against her licks and “loving- bumps”!
@rebrascora uses an elastic band with a 3D printed cover to protect her sensor.
But as a climber, hiker, cyclist, ... I have not found I need any covered as long as I position my sensor appropriately.
Usually, I put it high up on the back of my arm - almost inline with my arm pit. I find this is out of the way for any bumps.

Thanks again. I hadn’t thought about the location. I’ll use that advice!

I use a piece of micropore tape across the sensor and around most of my bicep (take care when fitting as otherwise it'll be too tight), if I don't do this I find the edges of the sensor peel off too much and eventually there'll be be a gap through to the middle of the sensor before the fortnight is up.

I never realised the hole was supposed to be uncovered, do we know why? I've certainly not had any problems over the past years even with changes in pressure (flying)

If I were swimming I would probably look at other patch type options, but this works well enough for now.

I also put a tubigrip over the whole lot while I sleep to avoid pulling it off.

Ooops. Forgot to ask about your joyously boisterous Goldendoodle.
Sounds wonderful. I would welcome her "love bumps" ... and maybe a photo if it doesn't derail the thread.

I put mine in the sharps bin but have stuck them in the rubbish bin before, they aren’t the same as sharps as others have said more like plasters.

I only use the protective covers if I am playing matches (rugby) or if I am on holiday (or here if it’s warm enough) in and out of water. They are waterproof really quite well but I have found that wet/dry/wet/dry plus sunscreen, aftersun etc can have an impact on the stickiness.

My only reason for rugby matches is again weather (including snow) plus horrible muddy or sandy / bitty pitches and that is is full contact.

I would personally see how you get on without. And then if you need them for certain reasons get them for that.

I’ve not yet used all those I bought last summer, that’s a whole season of matches plus 2 (3 weeks in total) holidays aboard.

These are the only ones I used https://www.amazon.co.uk/20Packs-Fr...9C1S4LL5&psc=1&ref_=pd_basp_bia_rpt_ba_s_2_sc

I only use the protective covers if I am playing matches (rugby) or if I am on holiday (or here if it’s warm enough) in and out of water. They are waterproof really quite well but I have found that wet/dry/wet/dry plus sunscreen, aftersun etc can have an impact on the stickiness.

My only reason for rugby matches is again weather (including snow) plus horrible muddy or sandy / bitty pitches and that is is full contact.
How do you find the libres survive (both staying stuck on and changing calibration due to movement)? Do you put the sensor somewhere specific to allow you to tackle and survive missed tackles more easily?

I would quite like to go back to doing some martial arts, but I'm reluctant as I found in the early days with a libre doing things like messing around on trampolines and bouncy castles one summer tended to mess up readings and make the whole thing fall off much sooner than normal. Site selection will also be interesting for me as there are lots of techniques that start with shoulder grabs or end with upper arm holds for control.

And this makes me think… so people wear “diabetes type 1” bracelets, etc… Maybe I should wear one?

And this makes me think… so people wear “diabetes type 1” bracelets, etc… Maybe I should wear one?
Might as well, I certainly do (necklace thing), might end up with someone calling an ambulance rather than dumping you in a corner thinking you're drunk

Thanks Simon. I’ve just seen I wrote “so” when I meant to ask “do” people wear diabetes id?

Thanks Simon. I’ve just seen I wrote “so” when I meant to ask “do” people wear diabetes id?
I think the answer is probably still the same! 🙂

There are also cards you can put in your wallet (which I also have), one might as well make it as easy as possible for someone who finds you unable to communicate, for whatever reason, to know that you're Type 1.

This really hasn’t figured in my thinking. My partner and I are taking the campervan out for the weekend tomorrow so it will likely seem more relevant when I’m lost in the woods with the dog!

John, sometimes the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle comprehensively beats sophisticated and/or expensive overthought ideas.

Just accept that, despite the best possible D management, going hypo can unexpectedly occur ..... and ALWAYS carry a quick response snack. It can be some dextrose or a mini container of 4 jelly babies, a few fruit pastilles or my current solution the mini-packs of haribo sweets. I am never without something anywhere in the house or anywhere "out" - after a couple of stupid times getting caught out. These days, thanks to alerts from my CGM, I very rarely even go near hypo (never mind actually going hypo). But I still have a mini response pack somewhere close. I had a near hit last week in Aldi, sucked my haribos and problem averted; plenty of choices also from the store shelves - but the answer was in my own pocket!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back