Newly diagnosed in the forces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back at work today, everyone has been great which has been a massive help. I have a meeting with the mil Dr tomorrow morning too.

Got the results back for the gadd anti body tests. Apparently a normal expected reading is no more than 5....I was slightly over this at 1081, and told it's Type 1. For the time being can continue medication as normal, but may be a different conversation with the mil Dr, or maybe not.

I am not sure what to think. For some reason now it has hit home and more real, not that it wasn't before but I suppose before it was Type 1 or Type 2.

The fact it wasn't lifestyle or anything my fault makes it better in one respect, as there was nothing I could have done to prevent this.

Still, a positive is I am eating better than ever, this is not the worst thing ever, will soon see the impact or not on my job, soon find out either way.

I was right to bet money on Type 1 then @AndyLum Its a pain but there are worst things to have. The most important thing is you have the correct diagnosis now, and very quickly.

I’m glad work went well. Off to read the first page of this thread to re-check what your meds are now.

Thanks for the update. Pleased to hear you have clarity of diagnosis. I don't think you being Type 1 will come as much of a surprise here.
You will need to start on insulin at some point in the near future and it is usually considered best if it is sooner. This will make a significant difference to your diabetes management as learning how to use insulin is quite complicated at first, so I would hope that you would be signed off for a few weeks at least to get to grips with it. After that it will depend upon your role within the armed forces I imagine. Good luck with the mil Dr

I was right to bet money on Type 1 then @AndyLum Its a pain but there are worst things to have. The most important thing is you have the correct diagnosis now, and very quickly.

I’m glad work went well. Off to read the first page of this thread to re-check what your meds are now.
Absolutely on the money.

I am on 500mg of Metformin twice a day and as of last week 40mg once a day of Gliclazide. The Gliclazide has definitely brought my levels down and been down more consistently.

I was just about to ask about the Gliclazide @AndyLum If you’re offered a choice, go for insulin over that. Early introduction of insulin helps preserve the remaining islet cells longer whereas Gliclazide can squeeze the life out of them. Even if you only take tiny doses of insulin, that’s fine and normal. Although you might be thinking “Er, no…I prefer tablets over injections” I would offer the same advice to anyone who is Type 1. Injections are nothing and very easy now with the tiny needles and pens.

The problem is that the Gliclazide will be flogging your failing beta cells which produce insulin when they are already under attack by your immune system. The Glic is designed to stimulate the beta cells to produce more insulin with patients who are Type 2 and are insulin resistant. In your case, sadly they are flogging a dying horse, so it may be that your levels improve for a short while and then rise dramatically as those remaining beta cells get killed off.

Many of the Gliclazide patient info leaflets mention it’s not for Type 1 too. Hopefully now you’re confirmed Type 1 that will be stopped. Your remaining beta cells are precious as they make it easier to keep highs down.

In case you are wondering if you can continue in your job in the military, there are currently 162 registered T1s in the Army, including service in the Tank Regiment. You can depend on the military looking after you. RAF are the same, with serving personnel. This didn't use to be the case, but there are complicated reasons why this now the case, and which I can't discuss, because I'm still bound by the Official Secrets Act, but until early this century you would be medically discharged. (the MoD were dinosaurs in man management in those days. Still are, but less blatantly)

That said, a T1 diagnosis would stop you joining military service.

In case you are wondering if you can continue in your job in the military, there are currently 162 registered T1s in the Army, including service in the Tank Regiment. You can depend on the military looking after you. RAF are the same, with serving personnel. This didn't use to be the case, but there are complicated reasons why this now the case, and which I can't discuss, because I'm still bound by the Official Secrets Act, but until early this century you would be medically discharged. (the MoD were dinosaurs in man management in those days. Still are, but less blatantly)

That said, a T1 diagnosis would stop you joining military service.
@mikeyB, thank you for your reply. It's good to know it's not necessarily a show stopper, especially since I am in a job I actually like as well and have done almost 12 years.

I was expecting a different reaction from work but so far it's been the opposite of expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back