Newcastle Diet Break Advice Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
The key whilst you’re away is compromise.

Take shakes etc with you and limit your choices at breakfast to perhaps one single egg, no juice, no toast, maybe a few mushrooms or just a coffee with cream rather than milk if you’re uncomfortable taking a shake to the table.

When you go out for dinner just pick a simple salad. No dressing. Maybe a drizzle of olive oil.

I found the Newcastle diet worked first time around but I found it almost impossible to keep all the weight off longer term. My blood sugar levels have stayed ok however. I am still about 20kgs down on my start weight which puts me about 15kg above my supposed ideal weight. But 20kg is still 20kg!

When I was on it 100% I did indeed take a shake with me wherever I went to eat out. I mixed it at home, stored it in an insulated travel cup, explained at the restaurant that I was on a medically prescribed diet and never had any issues.

The key whilst you’re away is compromise.

Take shakes etc with you and limit your choices at breakfast to perhaps one single egg, no juice, no toast, maybe a few mushrooms or just a coffee with cream rather than milk if you’re uncomfortable taking a shake to the table.

When you go out for dinner just pick a simple salad. No dressing. Maybe a drizzle of olive oil.

I found the Newcastle diet worked first time around but I found it almost impossible to keep all the weight off longer term. My blood sugar levels have stayed ok however. I am still about 20kgs down on my start weight which puts me about 15kg above my supposed ideal weight. But 20kg is still 20kg!

When I was on it 100% I did indeed take a shake with me wherever I went to eat out. I mixed it at home, stored it in an insulated travel cup, explained at the restaurant that I was on a medically prescribed diet and never had any issues.
This is brilliant advice 🙂 I agree on taking the shakes with you as well, do you have a portable blender you can take too.

This may not be the case with your diet but on my VLCD if you ate they advised green veg and chicken as a meal but advised to have the shakes for 2 of the meals to ensure adequate nutrition and vitamins,

I went away for a 3 week holiday when I was on mine, and took my bars and shakes (it was a caravan park in Devon though so not quite the same as we cater for ourselves), I would nibble a bar with a black coffee whilst the others tucked into breakfast, I didnt eat a thing apart from my shakes or bars but if I had done I could have and if I made sensible choices I am sure it wouldnt have caused any issues, but again mine was weight related and not to do with having diabetes, as I didnt have it then, or if I did, I didnt know I did.

If you have any thermos flasks don’t forget you can mix up your shake and decant it into the flask. Pack the flask with ice and it’ll stay cold for hours.

If you have any thermos flasks don’t forget you can mix up your shake and decant it into the flask. Pack the flask with ice and it’ll stay cold for hours.
I always assumed that once mixed it has to be consumed quickly, I dont know why I thought that, in my head I thought the vitamins would evaporate if made in advance but probably just in my head.

Sorry for the slow response. I'm giving a Newcastle style diet another crack at the moment, but was aware when I started there would be a few events that would require a break. To handle this, I'm:

- keeping some solid food in my diet every day, so my system isn't totally shocked by a meal.
- strictly defining a break. For example, I'm not going to go to family Christmas and sit there drinking a shake. But the 'break' is just the main meal: no snacks through the day etc. And I've thought ahead to what the meal will involve and how I can keep it reasonable (more carrots, less roast potatoes, for instance)

If you go out for a couple of moderate meals and stick to shakes the rest of the time, I doubt that would throw you off course for long.

I always assumed that once mixed it has to be consumed quickly, I dont know why I thought that, in my head I thought the vitamins would evaporate if made in advance but probably just in my head.
I think if it’s kept cold it would be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back