Feefee

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all, I’m in my 60s, haven’t actually been properly diagnosed with Type 2 but Dr told me my BG stats were too high, gave me a monitor and told me to try to get levels down with diet etc. I have one big problem, I’m coping with a huge change in diet except I love sugar in my coffee. I started using Sweetex but stopped after seeing a FB blog where the ‘expert’ made a remark that all sweetners are basically not good for you, I decided to go cold turkey. Trouble is coffee ended up being my one pleasure and now it’s not the same. I have tried Stevia and don’t like the taste at all
Any gems of wisdom what I could use that’s natural and won’t cause a spike?

Hi all, I’m in my 60s, haven’t actually been properly diagnosed with Type 2 but Dr told me my BG stats were too high, gave me a monitor and told me to try to get levels down with diet etc. I have one big problem, I’m coping with a huge change in diet except I love sugar in my coffee. I started using Sweetex but stopped after seeing a FB blog where the ‘expert’ made a remark that all sweetners are basically not good for you, I decided to go cold turkey. Trouble is coffee ended up being my one pleasure and now it’s not the same. I have tried Stevia and don’t like the taste at all
Any gems of wisdom what I could use that’s natural and won’t cause a spike?
Welcome to the forum. Before going hammer and tongues at making vast changes then you need to find out the exact situation regarding your diagnosis as what was said to you was not terribly helpful. You should have had an HbA1C test done form a blood sample from your arm and sent to the lab. The result of that will indicate where you are below 42mmol/mol is normal, 42-47 is prediabetes and over that diabetes. Where you are will determine how much work and changes you need to make.
Certainly added sugar is something that really you need to cut out but you could try your coffee with cream rather than milk or try other sweeteners, my other half finds Canderel the most acceptable but people do vary in how they tolerate sweeteners.
There are may approaches to reduce your blood glucose but many do find a low carbohydrate regime successful so you may find that this link explains things your GP may not have. https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
I suspect the information on this forum will be more reliable than what you will find on FB or google or in the Daily Mail

Welcome to the forum @Feefee

There’s a lot of stuff on the internet about sweeteners, and not all of it is very reliable I’m afraid. Some of it is intended to scare and confuse people with emotive statements and pseudo-science.

If there are genuine and immediate health concerns about food additives, they are withdrawn from sale.

I’m not sure I’d want to consume sweeteners in vast quantities, but I am happy that in small amounts they are perfectly fine as part of a balanced diet.

Some people decide to avoid them all together, just in case - and that’s a personal decision that I completely respect, even though it’s not something I’ve decided to do myself.

Before I was diagnosed I also had my coffee with one sugar in it, and found it undrinkable without. I ditched the sugar while in hospital (i wasn’t given a choice really!). My tastebuds adapted very quickly. Pretty soon I was enjoying coffee as much as I ever did (especially ‘good’ coffee) which if anything I could now taste better without the sugar covering up the flavour.

Now I can’t beat coffee with sugar in it.

In your shoes I think I’d either find a sweetener that I got on OK with taste/aftertaste-wise, or I’d push-on through the tastebud adjustment phase, and ditch the sugar for good?

Good luck with which ever you decide to do 🙂

Hello @Feefee and welcome to the forum.
I shouldn't worry too much about what you read on the internet unless it makes sense.
Long ago I used to have my coffee with three spoons of sugar - now I have none but I do have cream. In hot weather I put a tiny pinch of salt in it, and sometimes I add cinnamon.
At some point in between I did use sweeteners, and tried various ones until I found one which tasted OK.
The one I settled on might have been Sweetex, actually. I am still here - don't be afraid to experiment. These days my main problem with sweeteners is their overuse - far too much sweetness is the normal thing it seems.

Thank you for your reply. I’m living in Poland and my Polish is very limited. So there is a language barrier, my GP speaks some English and I’m getting by but yes I need a proper diagnosis. Thank you for the low carb link. I have never had much imagination when it comes to cooking so hopefully the link will inspire me.

Maybe try evaporated milk in your coffee - just done a bit of research and there's only 2g of carbs in a 15ml portion so should have very small affect on your BG levels - it is much sweeter than milk

Another vote for real double cream here. I just used to tip brown sugar into my coffee on the basis that it couldn't be too sweet for me and I always said I would rather not drink it as drink it without sugar..... But my morning coffee with real double cream has become my daily luxury and comfort. The cream is lower carb than milk (or evap which I find spikes my levels, but maybe that was because I was using a lot more than 15mls) and the fat provides me with slow release energy and stops me from feeling hungry, and it tastes so luxurious!

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice about coffee up here already, so I won't add to it. Personally, I got used to coffee without sugar quickly, but I didn't drink much of it to start with anyway, so that's just not helpful. I'd just say that perhaps that there are a lot of other changes that you can make first and there's also wisdom in changing things gradually so that you can stick with the changes longer. I'm working hard on food for the family (even though I'm actually on shakes and soups at the moment, so can't eat any of it), and there's so much information, sometimes contradictory, about diet, that I'm struggling to find a happy medium which does not involve cooking 5 different meals for the five of us. But I've learned to be patient and just try things out and learn a bit every day. If you are willing to pay a small amount, the learning zone has lots of recipes (or so I heard, I'm not paying yet, but will do, once my 12 weeks with shakes and soups are done with).
Good luck in Poland. I hope you are enjoying it! And good luck with the new diet. You've got this!

Hi @Feefee and welcome to the forum, you will find lots of useful information here, but to address the sugar in coffee situation, have you tried oat milk (no added sugar) in coffee.

Give it a try and see what you think

Alan😉

I can see that if you are in Poland some of the things people suggest may not be available to you there and it may be the coffee you have there is much more bitter or strong than we are used to here so I can see why you feel you need sugar.

@Feefee welcome to the forum. Im a similar age to you diagnosed in July. Here it is usual to have two blood tests to confirm diabetes. I was 69 in late june and as i had requested the test because of symptoms it was obvious I was diabetic which was confirmed 4 weeks later at 64. Noone suggested diet alone although I dropped 5 points with dietary changes. Since 15 August I have taken pills. I found changing to low carb food particularly eggs, fish and veg kept me full and I lost 10kg. I have reintroduced some meat but been careful with processed food. I gave up sugar in drinks when I was 13 and cereal a few years later. I managed to get fat by eating too much and not moving enough. I do like some sweet things but I am missing potatoes especially mash and jacket potatoes. I had a cottage pie last week in two portions with loads of veg and my blood sugar was fine. You should cut out sugar in coffee but if it is important to the taste initially go to half a teaspoon. The less sugar you consume the more you become attuned to how sweet things are hence I gave up sugar in drinks and later on cereal. I'm assuming as you are fond of sugar in your coffee you probably need to lose some weight. I remember my brother gave up sugar in his tea but still took it in coffee for many years. My brother in law originally took 6 sugars in his coffee which he weaned himself off. With him it was a way as a student of annoying his parents who were both dentists.
My advice is be mindful of what you eat. I had and still sometimes do eat thoughtlessly. I don't buy biscuits because once they are open I eat too many. I can enjoy one at my sisters because they are her biscuits and she won't offer a second.
I remember as a child I would always have seconds if I'd enjoyed it. My sister would always decline and my brother based his decision solely on whether he had had enough to eat. His " ive had enough thank you" made me feel greedy.
In the end you need to find a way to feed your face and your soul without feeling punished.

Good luck

Hi, lots of good advice from others, But, I would definitely not seek important medical info/advice from Facebook! Seek out proper informed websites like this one or NHS, etc.

@Feefee welcome to the forum. Im a similar age to you diagnosed in July. Here it is usual to have two blood tests to confirm diabetes. I was 69 in late june and as i had requested the test because of symptoms it was obvious I was diabetic which was confirmed 4 weeks later at 64. Noone suggested diet alone although I dropped 5 points with dietary changes. Since 15 August I have taken pills. I found changing to low carb food particularly eggs, fish and veg kept me full and I lost 10kg. I have reintroduced some meat but been careful with processed food. I gave up sugar in drinks when I was 13 and cereal a few years later. I managed to get fat by eating too much and not moving enough. I do like some sweet things but I am missing potatoes especially mash and jacket potatoes. I had a cottage pie last week in two portions with loads of veg and my blood sugar was fine. You should cut out sugar in coffee but if it is important to the taste initially go to half a teaspoon. The less sugar you consume the more you become attuned to how sweet things are hence I gave up sugar in drinks and later on cereal. I'm assuming as you are fond of sugar in your coffee you probably need to lose some weight. I remember my brother gave up sugar in his tea but still took it in coffee for many years. My brother in law originally took 6 sugars in his coffee which he weaned himself off. With him it was a way as a student of annoying his parents who were both dentists.
My advice is be mindful of what you eat. I had and still sometimes do eat thoughtlessly. I don't buy biscuits because once they are open I eat too many. I can enjoy one at my sisters because they are her biscuits and she won't offer a second.
I remember as a child I would always have seconds if I'd enjoyed it. My sister would always decline and my brother based his decision solely on whether he had had enough to eat. His " ive had enough thank you" made me feel greedy.
In the end you need to find a way to feed your face and your soul without feeling punished.

Good luck
Hi, thank you for your response. You sound a lot like me! Especially when it comes to biscuits. I’ve never been a veggie person but I’m learning to like them and as you said if I have proportionally more veg to meat/carbs I don’t see a huge spike. Also what I’m doing now is having a tip of brown sugar for my first coffee with breakfast then if I have coffee during the day I go without. I’ve cut down a lot on coffee which isn’t a bad thing for my health and for my purse! I have collected so many bad habits stemming from childhood, now I am paying the price but I am determined to try not to take drugs and so far I’m winning. Next thing is doing more exercise, another thing I’ve never really embraced

Hi, lots of good advice from others, But, I would definitely not seek important medical info/advice from Facebook! Seek out proper informed websites like this one or NHS, etc.
Yes, I’m finding the more I look the more conflicting the information is. Even recommended blood glucose levels differ. I think hearing people’s own experiences here will be more helpful and as well as you said places like NHS website and here now I’ve found this place

Yes, I’m finding the more I look the more conflicting the information is. Even recommended blood glucose levels differ. I think hearing people’s own experiences here will be more helpful and as well as you said places like NHS website and here now I’ve found this place
Yes, @Feefee, information from the Internet is confusing and as you say conflicting.

Part of that is simply (?) because when diabetes is the topic different countries have different criteria for diagnosis and also treatment. As well as different units of measurement. If I'm doing an open search I often put "UK" somewhere in the search question; since I don't have access to private medical care I need answers that are going to (ultimately) be provided by our NHS. There are International Conferences, which can create recommendations that are universally agreed; but even those don't necessarily get adopted by the NHS quicklybor even at all. Affordability will play a part in that.

A further confusion factor can be the media jumping onto a piece of research news and announcing that research as if its a "done deal" and will be available to the general public tomorrow (literally tomorrow) ignoring the lengthy processes that sit in between a scientific breakthrough and delivery to prospective patients.

Within UK, the NHS can in itself be very slow moving. One huge example is the adoption by UK of "fat in your food is bad for you" - blindly adopted over 25 years ago and thus most of us have become indoctrinated to this philosophy. Still blindly enshrined in much NHS advice for dietary matters and pushed at us by Health Care Practicioners (HCPs) because it's what they were taught and what the NHS still tells them. But it's just not that simple. Some fats can be bad and some can be good - and certainly our bodies need some fats in our diet to keep us alive. For the NHS to alter one of its core philosophies will take decades probably to review, agree adjustment or root and branch alteration, then implementing training and documentation. Meanwhile it's what we've been told while growing up or through much of our adult life and has become a mindset that will be hard to change.

Diabetes is often described as a slow moving foe and bad outcomes from being diabetic can take years to appear. Yet research has never been more prominent. The NHS awareness of just how widespread D is within the population and the cost of treating and managing Diabetes is huge. This is leading to a better understanding in certain areas of the NHS, with a fuller appreciation in relatively small pockets of the NHS that T2 is not just complex, but there seem to be significant differences or sub-types of T2 that need possibly quite different treatment paths. This sort of thinking in itself leads to confusing and thus conflicting views.

Most of that is not yet enshrined in NHS policy. This Forum discusses much of the newly emerging thoughts and ideas. This Forum is sponsored by Diabetes UK - in that DUK provides the tech backbone for the existence of this Forum. DUK works closely with the NHS and sometimes has to hold back on something that contradicts existing UK / NHS policy- whereas the Forum members will happily (generally politely) say what they think or know. So room for more confusion and conflicting advice.

But this is the real world that we live in. Historically individuals could write a letter to their preferred news outlet airing a point of view; they might even get something published by a newspaper or a pamphlet or even a book. The Internet has immeasurably changed the pace at which new ideas are circulated - some good, some not so good and worse. Hence confusing and conflicting: globally, nationally and locally. We have had, since 2022, a reorganised Integrated Care System. This was intended to achieve savings for the NHS and provide common processes within larger geographic regions. So far there is extremely little sign of that actually happening.

"Confusing and Conflicting" to me as a Patient and to local HCPs. My "tuppence worth" take is paused .... (for now). Sorry. Welcome by the way @Feefee to this really helpful forum.

Yes, @Feefee, information from the Internet is confusing and as you say conflicting.

Part of that is simply (?) because when diabetes is the topic different countries have different criteria for diagnosis and also treatment. As well as different units of measurement. If I'm doing an open search I often put "UK" somewhere in the search question; since I don't have access to private medical care I need answers that are going to (ultimately) be provided by our NHS. There are International Conferences, which can create recommendations that are universally agreed; but even those don't necessarily get adopted by the NHS quicklybor even at all. Affordability will play a part in that.

A further confusion factor can be the media jumping onto a piece of research news and announcing that research as if its a "done deal" and will be available to the general public tomorrow (literally tomorrow) ignoring the lengthy processes that sit in between a scientific breakthrough and delivery to prospective patients.

Within UK, the NHS can in itself be very slow moving. One huge example is the adoption by UK of "fat in your food is bad for you" - blindly adopted over 25 years ago and thus most of us have become indoctrinated to this philosophy. Still blindly enshrined in much NHS advice for dietary matters and pushed at us by Health Care Practicioners (HCPs) because it's what they were taught and what the NHS still tells them. But it's just not that simple. Some fats can be bad and some can be good - and certainly our bodies need some fats in our diet to keep us alive. For the NHS to alter one of its core philosophies will take decades probably to review, agree adjustment or root and branch alteration, then implementing training and documentation. Meanwhile it's what we've been told while growing up or through much of our adult life and has become a mindset that will be hard to change.

Diabetes is often described as a slow moving foe and bad outcomes from being diabetic can take years to appear. Yet research has never been more prominent. The NHS awareness of just how widespread D is within the population and the cost of treating and managing Diabetes is huge. This is leading to a better understanding in certain areas of the NHS, with a fuller appreciation in relatively small pockets of the NHS that T2 is not just complex, but there seem to be significant differences or sub-types of T2 that need possibly quite different treatment paths. This sort of thinking in itself leads to confusing and thus conflicting views.

Most of that is not yet enshrined in NHS policy. This Forum discusses much of the newly emerging thoughts and ideas. This Forum is sponsored by Diabetes UK - in that DUK provides the tech backbone for the existence of this Forum. DUK works closely with the NHS and sometimes has to hold back on something that contradicts existing UK / NHS policy- whereas the Forum members will happily (generally politely) say what they think or know. So room for more confusion and conflicting advice.

But this is the real world that we live in. Historically individuals could write a letter to their preferred news outlet airing a point of view; they might even get something published by a newspaper or a pamphlet or even a book. The Internet has immeasurably changed the pace at which new ideas are circulated - some good, some not so good and worse. Hence confusing and conflicting: globally, nationally and locally. We have had, since 2022, a reorganised Integrated Care System. This was intended to achieve savings for the NHS and provide common processes within larger geographic regions. So far there is extremely little sign of that actually happening.

"Confusing and Conflicting" to me as a Patient and to local HCPs. My "tuppence worth" take is paused .... (for now). Sorry. Welcome by the way @Feefee to this really helpful forum.
Not only that many answers to questions posed on the internet are generated by artificial intelligence and can be complete nonsense.

Another vote for real double cream here. I just used to tip brown sugar into my coffee on the basis that it couldn't be too sweet for me and I always said I would rather not drink it as drink it without sugar..... But my morning coffee with real double cream has become my daily luxury and comfort. The cream is lower carb than milk (or evap which I find spikes my levels, but maybe that was because I was using a lot more than 15mls) and the fat provides me with slow release energy and stops me from feeling hungry, and it tastes so luxurious!
Hello, are we talking pouring double cream because I tried a dollop of thick double cream and it split. I have an all singing all dancing coffee machine which does a wicked flat white but that’s nearly 60% milk so I tried cafe creme and the cream split! I’m still debating whether to go back to sweeteners to get my fix. I

Hello, are we talking pouring double cream because I tried a dollop of thick double cream and it split. I have an all singing all dancing coffee machine which does a wicked flat white but that’s nearly 60% milk so I tried cafe creme and the cream split! I’m still debating whether to go back to sweeteners to get my fix. I
We have a Dolce Gusto machine and Flat white, cafe au lait are less than 5g carbs per cup.

Back