Newbie advice

Dm156

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
So, diagnosed last Thursday but not seeing a DN for a few weeks. No advice at all from GP. A mate who is a nurse advised me to get a monitor and check before and after eating so that I can build up a picture for the DN.
This morning when I tested, it was 8. I had some cereal and then checked a couple of hours later and it was over 15. I feel dizzy and have the sweats too. I take it thsts an indicator that cereal is a no no.

Docb

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
That cereal looks like it might not be a good idea. What was it, and how much did you have? Time to start experimenting with other things I think.

Ralph-YK

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
This morning when I tested, it was 8. I had some cereal and then checked a couple of hours later and it was over 15.
I take it thsts an indicator that cereal is a no no.
That's a rise of 7. Preferably the rise should be 3 or less. I got a rise of 5.7, and dumped cereal.
I think a food diary, along with a record of your levels, will help. You'll be able to look for patterns.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I word no, but sometimes reducing the amount of what you had might make a difference.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome to the forum @Dm156

Yes it looks like the cereal didn’t suit your BGs too well.

This blog post might give you some helpful pointers for checking your current meal plan and making some tweaks based on BG readings before and after meals

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I would probably see the same thing.
My sensitivity to carbs is rather legendry - I don't eat grains, potatoes, legumes (I react as though their carb count is double that listed)
My breakfast every other day is eggs, cheese and a tomato or mushrooms. I eat left over dinner on the other days.
Usually I stick to foods which are 10 percent carbs or less.