New user - Animas vibe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenny,
there's no reminder on the animas pumps unless they have added it the vibe. 🙂
That is one of my many dislikes of the animas pump.

Each pump seems to have its own individual quirks as far as I can see. I was advised to change (Teflon) sets and reservoirs every 3 days max, and have used the 'low reservoir' alarm to provide a reminder. I just fill the reservoir with approx 3.5days worth of insulin and have the 'low reservoir' alarm set at 24 hours so I get an alert about half a day before I need to change.

Each pump seems to have its own individual quirks as far as I can see. I was advised to change (Teflon) sets and reservoirs every 3 days max, and have used the 'low reservoir' alarm to provide a reminder. I just fill the reservoir with approx 3.5days worth of insulin and have the 'low reservoir' alarm set at 24 hours so I get an alert about half a day before I need to change.

As far as I am concerned that's just spending PCT money when not needed. I try to keep the cartridge use down to when empty as in every 6 days. In fact my PCT insists that is the life of a cartridge. So funded on that bases.
Same as cartridge low alarm the animas has a low of 10 units that's half a day for me. So I would rather have it a lot lower the need to change time just in case I forget.
Animas also has an alarm and turn off if no keys pressed after a set time. Great only thing is if that alarm goes off, the bleeping pump then screams abuse at you some hours later telling you it isn't primed 😡 Drove me around the bend that one did so wont use the alarm any more.
Did I ever mention I am not that impressed with the animas pump?

I did question that Sue, but my DSN advised to change everything after 3 days so that's what I do. I asked because I know some people/pumps (Roche I think) have different arrangements with sets/tubing separately and reservoir changing on a different cycle again.

Medtronic allow you to set 'low reservoir' to whatever hours/units you want (not sure on min number) but actually I quite like to have a little 'slack' as it's not always easy to change there and then so I quite like a bit of notice. Having said that the Medtronic low reservoir reminder is fairly easy going and infrequent once it has gone off.

I was told that Medtronic advise the reservoirs are used for 3 days so that's all the DSN would advise me to do (though of course there's nothing to stop me using each reservoir for 6 days and then reusing it until it fails which would cut down use even more albeit at increased risk of DKA).

Different people get told/funded for different things it seems - more postcode lottery!

Last edited:
I was told that Medtronic advise the reservoirs are used for 3 days so that's all the DSN would advise me to do (though of course there's nothing to stop me using each reservoir for 6 days and then reusing it until it fails which would cut down use even more albeit at increased risk of DKA).
Medtronic and any pump company can tell you that due to more reservoirs/cartridges being used = more profit for them.
Insulin manufactures state quite clearly how long insulin is fine for in pump reservoirs. (Which is different to what Medtronic say) :D

When I self funded I used my reservoir for a month just to save where I could. I understand this is not recomended due to the risk of the lubricant dispersing and jaming the plunger.

Correct with Roche, reservoir lasts as long as approx 300ml lasts you (10 days at least for me) cannulas 2 or 3 days depending on you and which cannula, tubing every 6 days, when you do that partic cannula change.

The good thing about this is, it makes me keep a pump diary (supplied by Roche, 31 days worth in each) which has a box for equipment changes, so I stick C in it, or T or R in whatever combination you happen to do. Oh or PB/MB - pump/meter batteries. I'd never know if I was on me arse or me elbow if I didn't do that ! Best designed diary I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back