New Type 1 after Acute Necrotic Pancreatitis

Hello @JBB70 & welcome to the T3C club. Just reading your post and being reminded of the tubes and pipes out of just about every orifice (plus a couple of man-made ones too) brought back a lot of memories.

I always think of @everydayupsanddowns when I think I'm having a bad day, because it is like that, every day is an up or down for a while! But it does get better as they wean you off the various connections to machines! It will take a while to get used to the 'new life' and as it has been said before on this forum, it is a new life, not a sentence!

If they offer you the nutrient shakes take them up on that because that will slowly get your tummy working again and does not cause too much aggravation with the pipes (the shakes have a bit more fat content so you do need the pancreatin supplements for that). My experience was loosing too much weight too quickly which made the gall bladder removal difficult, but they got there in the end. Getting to grips with what food your own body can cope with is a longer term thing.

I lasted a few years after all my hospitalisation before diabetes set in so for a few years it was just trying to balance my creon intake with my diet. Just when I thought I had it nailed I was called into the diabetic clinic overnight because my ketones were 'off the charts.'

As for questions, I think the others have covered things, but my advice is to try and 'slow down' the appointments. It is all a big rush and I know the DSN will probably have more people to see, but if you can slow things down to make it more relaxed you may be able to think of things as you talk things through. My initial interactions in hospital were all far too rushed when I look back on things & I wish I had taken time to think during those meetings.

I do hope you get to see a DSN who is sympathetic to the PTSD side of things; yes it does feel like that and I'm sure we shut down to try and get through the early days, but it doesn't help in the long term. Being home also helps with the PTSD side!

Anyways, wishing you a well-balanced recovery. Please do continue to ask for help here; it is a wonderful forum even if some of us don't get on here every day 😛

Back