New to Pump - Basal Testing Omnipod Dash

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was fortunate enough to get a fab pump trainer who got my basal rates almost spot on.
Same here. I was up n running immediately, then I did a full set of basal tests about a month after my pump start, just to be sure my settings were fine.
Sorry to hear you're having problems @Lizzy78. It sounds like you need to basal test, as others have advised.
As for timing, @Pattidevans says 2 hours, I say 1 hour - we're all different! 🙂 Good luck getting your basal sorted - then you can start to enjoy other Omnipod features.

Same here. I was up n running immediately, then I did a full set of basal tests about a month after my pump start, just to be sure my settings were fine.
Sorry to hear you're having problems @Lizzy78. It sounds like you need to basal test, as others have advised.
As for timing, @Pattidevans says 2 hours, I say 1 hour - we're all different! 🙂 Good luck getting your basal sorted - then you can start to enjoy other Omnipod features.
Thank you. Need to get this basal sorted before I try anything else. I honestly don't know how they got them so out. I have doubled their estimate for my daytime in the space of 5 days and it's not quite there yet. But nowhere near as wild as it was, down to single figures now

Glad to hear you're getting there! 🙂 Not the best start - have you mentioned this to your DSN?

Glad to hear you're getting there! 🙂 Not the best start - have you mentioned this to your DSN?
I queried at the course last week why my daytime ratio was lower than my evening one, when I was on 22 levemir during the day and 10 at night. They started me off on daytime ratio of 0.55 u per hour, I'm currently at 1.3 now and Will probably increase by a little bit more. Its actually nearly treble their estimate. So I was hyper all day and then dropping at night. Exhausting. I've just took the bull by the horns and increased it myself..I know to increase gradually, and will do now that I am closer to my target.

Deffo sounds like they got them the wrong way round.
Do you mind me asking how you find the Dash?
I really like it. It's my first pump - I started at the beginning of July last year. The switch has been very straightforward. The only major difference is that I have to prepare for any activity now (set a TBR in advance), even housework or supermarket shopping, otherwise I'll get some scary lows later on. That's taken some getting used to.
But all in all, I'm a very happy pumper. 😎

Deffo sounds like they got them the wrong way round.

I really like it. It's my first pump - I started at the beginning of July last year. The switch has been very straightforward. The only major difference is that I have to prepare for any activity now (set a TBR in advance), even housework or supermarket shopping, otherwise I'll get some scary lows later on. That's taken some getting used to.
But all in all, I'm a very happy pumper. 😎
How far in advance do you set your TBR?

s for timing, @Pattidevans says 2 hours, I say 1 hour - we're all different!
Two hours is the norm for a steady basal but if you need a steep increase at any point then an hour before at an increased rate is fine.
@Lizzy78 please remember Rome was not built in a day.
It can take months to sort out a basal.
Sort your night basal first then the day will be easier to sort. Not 100% on this but think a 0.05u/hour will drop or raise your levels by 3mmols.

What have you got your duration of insulin set at?

Two hours is the norm for a steady basal but if you need a steep increase at any point then an hour before at an increased rate is fine.
@Lizzy78 please remember Rome was not built in a day.
It can take months to sort out a basal.
Sort your night basal first then the day will be easier to sort. Not 100% on this but think a 0.05u/hour will drop or raise your levels by 3mmols.

What have you got your duration of insulin set at?
Hi. Been working on the night basal. Going as low carb as I can at the moment to get a better indication, as the more carbs I'm eating at the moment the bigger the spike, with a 15 minute pre bolus. I have 5 different ratios over 24 hours. I know I need to slow it down as keeping making adjustments after each day's readings

Hi. Been working on the night basal. Going as low carb as I can at the moment to get a better indication, as the more carbs I'm eating at the moment the bigger the spike, with a 15 minute pre bolus. I have 5 different ratios over 24 hours. I know I need to slow it down as keeping making adjustments after each day's readings
Eating low carb which means more fat and protein is not a good idea because it in most cases increases your need for extra insulin.
Just eat as you would normally eat.
You need to do a basal test which involves no food for the period of the test. so as you would normally not be eating over night that should be fairly easy to do over a few days to make sure it's right. Then move on to the morning test which does mean no breakfast, Once that is right move on to the lunch/afternoon basal. Then sort your evening.
There's a pinned post regarding basal testing.

Once you have sorted your basal move on to sorting your carb ratio. Do not try doing both at once.

Eating low carb which means more fat and protein is not a good idea because it in most cases increases your need for extra insulin.
Just eat as you would normally eat.
You need to do a basal test which involves no food for the period of the test. so as you would normally not be eating over night that should be fairly easy to do over a few days to make sure it's right. Then move on to the morning test which does mean no breakfast, Once that is right move on to the lunch/afternoon basal. Then sort your evening.
There's a pinned post regarding basal testing.

Once you have sorted your basal move on to sorting your carb ratio. Do not try doing both at once.
Thanks. Didn't know that about low carb. I'll have a look at the post and try take it a section at a time.

I've found TBRs very useful indeed when experimenting with changing basal rates! Try the alterations on TBR for a day or two, to see what happen and make any necessary adjustments or abandon the changes. And Oh yes, does suit me to do that - because I am lazy and it's far quicker to set a TBR than plod through 'settings' until I get to the right one!

I haven't used TBR yet, I just change my background setting, as it is only a few buttons.
I am interested though.
I am loving the dash, but still learning. I need to do a basal test, too much on exercise / in the office etc, the next few days and then off to a festival Thurs- Mon. Just gonna ride out the next few days and then reset next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back