New to diabeties

Status
Not open for further replies.
New question.. Do smoker's cope with managing their diabetes and continuing with smoking various cigarettes or rollies with type 1 or 2 for instance?

New question.. Do smoker's cope with managing their diabetes and continuing with smoking various cigarettes or rollies with type 1 or 2 for instance?
Probably. Smoking is strongly discouraged, obviously, as it is for everyone. Smoking and diabetes have some overlapping risks (both increase cardiovascular risks), making smoking particularly dangerous for people with diabetes.

Yes, but smoking puts them at greater risk of diabetic complications and particularly cardiovascular problems like heart attacks and strokes and peripheral arterial disease I believe.

I am new, but I am a smoker and I struggle to pack in smoking but I have tried various vaping devices and my question is, if I vape instead of smoking with type 1 diabetes would it be better or just as bad as smoking

I am new, but I am a smoker and I struggle to pack in smoking but I have tried various vaping devices and my question is, if I vape instead of smoking with type 1 diabetes would it be better or just as bad as smoking

I'm afraid I can't help you with that question as I don't know enough about the difference between smoking and vaping. I wonder if it might be something that @Eddy Edson would know something about?

Last edited:
if I vape instead of smoking with type 1 diabetes would it be better or just as bad as smoking
Better, I think, but I'm not sure it's known how much better. (But I've never smoked so I've not looked that hard at the research. A number of members vape so may know better than me.)

I'm afraid I can't help you with that question as I don't know enough about the difference between smoking and vaping. I wonder if it might be something that @Eddy Edson would know something about?
An issue is the lack of long-term studies for vaping. It's *probably* generally better than smoking, depending on what's in the particular vape juice, because of fewer toxic combustion products. But on the other hand, nicotine by itself is still bad for the vascular system, so vaping is certainly worse than nothing, if not as bad as smoking.

Vaping worked really well for me as a stepping stone to quitting smoking, but it seems it's not a generally reliable cessation tool. Apparently it's more common for people to take up vaping in addition to smoking, so the worst of both of worlds. For this reason I think most public health authorities (except maybe in the UK) downplay vaping as a cessation tool unless patches, gum, conselling etc have been tried and failed.

On the other hand I know individual doctors who claim close to 100% success in getting people to quit using vaping as a stepping stone, matching my experience.

So ... not crystal clear, but probably better than smoking particularly if you can use it as a temporary tool for quitting.

Last edited:
A let’s welcome to the forum @Milky71

I am glad that you are keeping the questions coming, and as others have said, if you don’t understand any of our answers just say. No one will mind. There is a lot to get your head round but it will get easier.

An issue is the lack of long-term studies for vaping. It's *probably* generally better than smoking, depending on what's in the particular vape juice, because of fewer toxic combustion products. But on the other hand, nicotine by itself is still bad for the vascular system, so vaping is certainly worse than nothing, if not as bad as smoking.

Vaping worked really well for me as a stepping stone to quitting smoking, but it seems it's not a generally reliable cessation tool. Apparently it's more common for people to take up vaping in addition to smoking, so the worst of both of worlds. For this reason I think most public health authorities (except maybe in the UK) downplay vaping as a cessation tool unless patches, gum, conselling etc have been tried and failed.

On the other hand I know individual doctors who claim close to 100% success in getting people to quit using vaping as a stepping stone, matching my experience.

So ... not crystal clear, but probably better than smoking particularly if you can use it as a temporary tool for quitting.
@Milky71
I wanted to follow up on @Eddy Edson 's post.

I also used vaping to give up smoking, but before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I agree that it is probably worth thinking about vaping as not as bad as smoking but not as good as NOT smoking. For diabetics, as @Eddy Edson says, nicotine is really bad as it will constrict blood flow.

If you use vaping to give up smoking, then I would suggest three things.

1) Make sure you start with a strong enough vape juice (18mg probably) so that it can keep those nicotine pangs at bay and you won’t duel fuel - use cigs and vaping. But you have to make the switch and stop buying tobacco.

2) Do not use disposables. Use pods or, preferably, a system where you can use your own juice. You will need to reduce the strength of your e-liquids, and disposables won’t help you here.

3) Actively start to reduce the level of nicotine by buying lower-strength e-liquid.

I stopped in about a year, going from over 20mg (this was pre-the TPD laws) to 0mg.

The moderators would not thank us for putting up links, but if you did want help, feel free to DM me.

@Milky71
I wanted to follow up on @Eddy Edson 's post.

I also used vaping to give up smoking, but before I was diagnosed with diabetes. I agree that it is probably worth thinking about vaping as not as bad as smoking but not as good as NOT smoking. For diabetics, as @Eddy Edson says, nicotine is really bad as it will constrict blood flow.

If you use vaping to give up smoking, then I would suggest three things.

1) Make sure you start with a strong enough vape juice (18mg probably) so that it can keep those nicotine pangs at bay and you won’t duel fuel - use cigs and vaping. But you have to make the switch and stop buying tobacco.

2) Do not use disposables. Use pods or, preferably, a system where you can use your own juice. You will need to reduce the strength of your e-liquids, and disposables won’t help you here.

3) Actively start to reduce the level of nicotine by buying lower-strength e-liquid.

I stopped in about a year, going from over 20mg (this was pre-the TPD laws) to 0mg.

The moderators would not thank us for putting up links, but if you did want help, feel free to DM me.
Thanks this is quite helpful, something to consider so far as you can imagine (not really easy) I have smoked cannabis to help with stresses of my own personal life and circumstances for over 30 years now and I have considered giving up the cigarettes to make joints and try to get the hang of having just 1 to 4 joints per day, instead of 10 or more a day with tabacco, obviously gonna need others with similar experiences or something?

Thanks this is quite helpful, something to consider so far as you can imagine (not really easy) I have smoked cannabis to help with stresses of my own personal life and circumstances for over 30 years now and I have considered giving up the cigarettes to make joints and try to get the hang of having just 1 to 4 joints per day, instead of 10 or more a day with tabacco, obviously gonna need others with similar experiences or something?
Have you tried CBD juice to replace the joints? It won't have quite the same effect but it will help you to relax. There are other ways as well, such as cookies, muffins, etc. However, I get the ritual of rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back