New to diabeties

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milky71

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Found out this week that I'm type 1. Im still trying to get my head around it. Got Libre 2 which I've been using it. Does anyone levels go up when you have a shower is that normal. I was 8.6 then after shower it was 12.2. Any advice thanks.

Welcome @Milky71 🙂 Hot water can sometimes cause blood sugar rises on the Libre. Check with a fingerprick if you’re uncertain. It could also be that you’d eaten recently or your basal isn’t quite right, but a rise after a shower is common. It should drop soon.

What insulins are you on?

I've not started yet but tomorrow is my 1st, but I am nervous Abasaglar (insulin glargine)

Starting insulin is always a bit nervewracking @Milky71 but hopefully you’ll find the worry beforehand is worse than the actual event 🙂 The insulin pen needles are really short and ultra-thin so much better than a regular injection at your GPs.

Abasaglar is a basal/background/slow insulin whose job is to keep your blood sugar steady in the absence of food. Hopefully you’ll soon get a bolus/meal/fast insulin to help you cover your food. Once you get your insulin up and running, you should feel a lot better and more yourself. Do make sure you have hypo treatments with you at all times including when out of the house. These are things like Dextro glucose tablets, jelly babies, etc.

Ask anything you want here. Nothing is too trivial or ‘silly’.

Just in case you haven't been advised, you're required to notify DVLA if you drive. That will likely result in your current licence being revoked & replaced with a three-year one. If you have minibus entitlement, you'll lose that.

Found out this week that I'm type 1. Im still trying to get my head around it. Got Libre 2 which I've been using it. Does anyone levels go up when you have a shower is that normal. I was 8.6 then after shower it was 12.2. Any advice thanks.
My blood sugars go up in the bath too, the come down quickly afterwards. Best not have a bath when you think your sugars are going low as this could mask a hypo.

I've not started yet but tomorrow is my 1st, but I am nervous Abasaglar (insulin glargine)
I'm on abasaglar. Its a good, basic insulin. It lasts 24 hrs for me. Have they said what bolus (mealtime) insulin they are thinking of?

I'm on abasaglar. Its a good, basic insulin. It lasts 24 hrs for me. Have they said what bolus (mealtime) insulin they are thinking of?
Yes, bolus (mealtime) is 8.units . It's been suggested to me use between 7pm and 8pm each evening by my diabetes Nurse

Yes, bolus (mealtime) is 8.units . It's been suggested to me use between 7pm and 8pm each evening by my diabetes Nurse
Surely the one you will take once a day will be your basal insulin not bolus which would be taken only with meals.

So do you have the bolus insulin already? When will you be starting that? What one is it?
Bolus insulin is injected a set amount of time before you eat - eg right before you eat, 5 mins before, 10 mins before. You don’t take it at a set time. The time you take it is dictated by your meal times.

8 units is a not insignificant amount. Have you been told how many grams of carbs to eat for the 8 units.

Or do you mean the Abasaglar - ie your basal (background/slow) insulin?

So do you have the bolus insulin already? When will you be starting that? What one is it?
Bolus insulin is injected a set amount of time before you eat - eg right before you eat, 5 mins before, 10 mins before. You don’t take it at a set time. The time you take it is dictated by your meal times.

8 units is a not insignificant amount. Have you been told how many grams of carbs to eat for the 8 units.

UNFORTUNATELY I don't know enough about diabetes but I have to learn and I have learning difficulties affecting my situation so it's all new to me.. Thank you Inka for your help etc
It's like a new language for me to learn

UNFORTUNATELY I don't know what it all means but I have to learn everything about it and I have learning difficulties but thank you for your help Inka

I think it's a 24 hours one and you'll know what it means. setting number 8 after test squirts twice, so it's a daily thing

Ok, so it sounds like your basal (background/slow) insulin then. Yes, you do the test squirts to make sure the insulin pen is working ok, then you dial up your dose which you’ve said is 8 units, and then inject it 🙂

The pens make it easy. Just go slowly and carefully and check each stage. It’s good to check and double check your dose is right before you inject it. I still do that 30 years after diagnosis. Better to check and make double sure it’s right.

Ask anything you want here, and if you don’t understand or don’t know what words mean, just ask 🙂 It’s hard for everyone at the beginning, with new words to learn and new things to do. Everybody here is really helpful and nobody minds lots of questions or explaining again🙂

UNFORTUNATELY I don't know enough about diabetes but I have to learn and I have learning difficulties affecting my situation so it's all new to me.. Thank you Inka for your help etc
It's like a new language for me to learn

Welcome to the forum @Milky71

Sorry to hear about your type 1 diabetes :(

Diabetes can feel like a lot to get used to in the beginning, but it will get easier.

Have your Drs been helping you with explaining things clearly?

Yeah they've explained it but it's a lot to take in and remember Mark.. One day at a Time, I realised yesterday it's got to be done, anticipation nerves

New question for type 1, 1st 24hr injection, should I eat evening meal before procedure or after, or does that make no difference?

New question for type 1, 1st 24hr injection, should I eat evening meal before procedure or after, or does that make no difference?
Makes no difference. It's a long acting insulin so isn't related to short term things like food. The precise time you inject also doesn't matter, so try and use roughly the same time each day but don't worry too much when we change to summer time and that kind of thing.

Makes no difference. It's a long acting insulin so isn't related to short term things like food. The precise time you inject also doesn't matter, so try and use roughly the same time each day but don't worry too much when we change to summer time and that kind of thing.
Thanks for the advice

Sorry Mike I think I got your name mixed up with Mark or something like I said thank you for your help Mike

Don’t worry at all! 🙂

I have asked the Supporter Care team if they know of any information which is easier to read and uses simpler language, and they have suggested these

Easy read resources for people with a learning disability and their supporters​

Health checks and the learning disability register​

General diabetes information*​

Footcare, dental care, blood tests and retinal screening*​

Further resources for diet and exercise​

There’s a mix of T2 and T1 things, but hopefully there will be some useful stuff in there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back