New to diabetes

It's clearly wrong that there's nothing for half units so I'm not sure why they'd say that. You do need to get a reusable pen, so it's slightly more involved than the disposable pens. The half unit pens are sometimes regarded as "for children", I think, so maybe that's part of it. Most likely they just didn't have one to give you and disposable pens are easier.
Will ask at hospital back next month

I am another great half pen advocate and one who has used (reusable) NovoRapid pens for 20 years which dispense half units.
The same pens can be used for Levemir.

While they have been updated in the last 20 years, they definitely still exist.

@Woodywoodpecker if you are not using reusable pens today, I highly recommend them - they are more robust, have a reminder of your last dose on them, dispense half units, the cartridges take up less space in your fridge and they are better for the environment. Plus you have more flexibility if the current FlexPen shortages extends to NovoRapid.
If/when you request the NovoPen Echo, make sure you get a spare - they can fail so you need a back up.

I am another great half pen advocate and one who has used (reusable) NovoRapid pens for 20 years which dispense half units.
The same pens can be used for Levemir.

While they have been updated in the last 20 years, they definitely still exist.

@Woodywoodpecker if you are not using reusable pens today, I highly recommend them - they are more robust, have a reminder of your last dose on them, dispense half units, the cartridges take up less space in your fridge and they are better for the environment. Plus you have more flexibility if the current FlexPen shortages extends to NovoRapid.
If/when you request the NovoPen Echo, make sure you get a spare - they can fail so you need a back up.
Never herd about them till came on this site, will certainly look into it thank tou

Never herd about them till came on this site, will certainly look into it thank tou
The current version is the Novopen Echo Plus. If you also use Libre with a smartphone, the same LibreLink app can also scan the pens to record insulin doses. (Other smartphone apps can also scan the pens.) Even if you don't have a smartphone, the end of the pen can show the last dose and time since it was given (though the display is pretty small).

Can be really helpful if (and when) you ever find yourself wondering if you've given yourself the dose you think you gave yourself.

Yes use libre and have a smart phone, just the other morning wasn’t sure if I had taken right dose

just the other morning wasn’t sure if I had taken right dose
Happens to all of us, eventually. Humans aren't designed for being reliably accurate doing these kinds of repetitive tasks.

I don't often feel the need to check my pens to see what and when I last injected, but it's reassuring knowing I can check. (I'd resist changing to insulins where the pens didn't support that.)

Welcome to the forum @Woodywoodpecker

Hope you are able to get hold of a 0.5u pen without too much faff it can be a real help to fine-tune doses once your ratios are tidied up.

We had a thread a while ago where folks offered any hints and tips they have learned over the years that they wish they could tell newly-diagnosed them.

There may be some thoughts in there that are interesting?

Welcome to the forum @Woodywoodpecker

Hope you are able to get hold of a 0.5u pen without too much faff it can be a real help to fine-tune doses once your ratios are tidied up.

We had a thread a while ago where folks offered any hints and tips they have learned over the years that they wish they could tell newly-diagnosed them.

There may be some thoughts in there that are interesting?

Thank you will have a look

Back