New to diabetes

Woodywoodpecker

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hi my name is Donna, was diagnosed with type 1 in April looking for help and support

Welcome to the forum @Woodywoodpecker (Donna)
Ask what you want and I'm sure someone will come along with some help and advice

Alan 😉

Welcome to the forum @Woodywoodpecker - I'm relatively new to diagnosis (2yrs in) and I know how daunting it can be - feel free to ask any questions (however trivial they may seem!) - There are lots of wonderful people on here who genuinely want to help by sharing their experiences - you are in the right place here for any support you need

Hi and welcome from me too. I was a late starter with Type 1 5.5years ago at the age of 55. I have learned most of what I know from the good people here on the forum, so you have come to thr right place for information and support.
Managing Type 1 is very challenging at any age, as there is such a lot to get your head around, but gradually it starts to become your new way of life and you start to do the basics on autopilot but nothing stays the same with diabetes for long and you have to learn or develop little strategies to deal with different situations.

Which insulins are you using and are you carb counting yet or just injecting fixed doses for meals?

Do you have Libre or Dexcom sensors and how are you managing with them?

Have you been offered an intensive education course like DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) or whatever your local equivalent is?

Do ask any questions you have or share any concerns here. I am sure many people will relate to the issues that are troubling you and will have tips for things that helped them to deal with it.
Most of all, be kind to yourself. Managing diabetes with insulin is really complicated and no two people are quite alike so to manage it well, you gradually have to become the expert in your own individual diabetes, mostly through trial and improvement.

Welcome to the forum @Woodywoodpecker - I'm relatively new to diagnosis (2yrs in) and I know how daunting it can be - feel free to ask any questions (however trivial they may seem!) - There are lots of wonderful people on here who genuinely want to help by sharing their experiences - you are in the right place here for any support you need
Thank you, am only 6 months in. Doing not bad struggling a bit with getting tea time insulin dose right, seem to go low
Hello there @Woodywoodpecker and may I be the first to welcome you to the forum.

It’s common to need less insulin for your evening meal even if you eat the same amount of carbs as you had for breakfast @Woodywoodpecker What insulins do you take?

What’s your evening meal insulin to carb ratio?

Thank you, am only 6 months in. Doing not bad struggling a bit with getting tea time insulin dose right, seem to go low
Sorry for all the questions! Are you carb-counting, or taking fixed standardised doses for meals? I always take less with an evening meal than breakfast and lunch, for example (smaller ratio)

Hi and welcome from me too. I was a late starter with Type 1 5.5years ago at the age of 55. I have learned most of what I know from the good people here on the forum, so you have come to thr right place for information and support.
Managing Type 1 is very challenging at any age, as there is such a lot to get your head around, but gradually it starts to become your new way of life and you start to do the basics on autopilot but nothing stays the same with diabetes for long and you have to learn or develop little strategies to deal with different situations.

Which insulins are you using and are you carb counting yet or just injecting fixed doses for meals?

Do you have Libre or Dexcom sensors and how are you managing with them?

Have you been offered an intensive education course like DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) or whatever your local equivalent is?

Do ask any questions you have or share any concerns here. I am sure many people will relate to the issues that are troubling you and will have tips for things that helped them to deal with it.
Most of all, be kind to yourself. Managing diabetes with insulin is really complicated and no two people are quite alike so to manage it well, you gradually have to become the expert in your own individual diabetes, mostly through trial and improvement.
I’m 58 was diagnosed on my birthday. I’m on nova rapid and levimeryes counting carbs 1 unit per 10 carbs, all not bad apart from tea always go low. I’ve got libre must admit but obsessed looking at it. Had 6 week course at my local hospital, I am very hard on myself want it to be perfect

Sorry for all the questions! Are you carb-counting, or taking fixed standardised doses for meals? I always take less with an evening meal than breakfast and lunch, for example (smaller ratio)
Yes carb counting, my breakfast and lunch good just tea a can’t get right. Am bit new to the changing off ratio, but sure a will get there

Thank you

I’m 58 was diagnosed on my birthday. I’m on nova rapid and levimeryes counting carbs 1 unit per 10 carbs, all not bad apart from tea always go low. I’ve got libre must admit but obsessed looking at it. Had 6 week course at my local hospital, I am very hard on myself want it to be perfect

@Woodywoodpecker When are you going low after tea - ie how long after your meal? Perhaps you need to change your teatime ratio, eg to 1:12g, 1:15g or whatever you think right (those are just examples). Many people have different ratios for breakfast, lunch and tea. 1:10g is just a starting point.

Do you have a half unit pen (Novopen Echo)? - I personally am on 1:10 but of an evening do a bit less - so 1 to every 15-20g carbs - having a half unit pen allows you to do this and take 1/2 units - definitely worth asking for one if you haven't got one - I was on Novorapid and didn't find it to be that rapid! It lasted a lot longer in my system than what I'm on now (Fiasp) so more lows whilst it was still working around 4hrs afterwards (Fiasp only lasts about 3hrs for me) - not that I'm suggesting a medication change (I'm certainly not qualified to do that!) but maybe worth speaking to your healthcare team about

@Woodywoodpecker When are you going low after tea - ie how long after your meal? Perhaps you need to change your teatime ratio, eg to 1:12g, 1:15g or whatever you think right (those are just examples). Many people have different ratios for breakfast, lunch and tea. 1:10g is just a starting point.
About 90 minutes

Back