New older member

Thanks Lucyr, the instructions in the booklet are so small its difficult to read!
The instruction book will usually also be on line and you can increase the size on your screen if it is still too small.
A bit like the nutritional information on the back of packets which is so small, it is easier to look on the shop websites to look before you go shopping.

My HbA1c hovers around 50 mmol/mol and I am happy with that and the DSN at the surgery is happy with that. Indeed the DSN does not want to see it lower because of the implications of low blood glucose in those whose physical stability is being affected by ageing. I can keep it there by a bit of this and that...watching my weight, watching carb intake and some medication. Nothing too drastic or taxing. Don't get any short term problems and the long term will take care of itself.
Interesting take on things. I've never thought about it that way, despite being a fellow wrinkly. I'm almost fanatical about keeping my levels in normal range.

Incidentally I call my wrinkles 'laughter lines' but my wife insists that nothing could be that funny.

Thank you all so much and if I can help in any way with any Arsenal related questions, I am very happy to do so
Here's one (admittedly a bit tongue-in-cheek) - how can Kier Starmer support Arsenal, whose kit displays a Visit Rwanda ad, while at the same time claiming that Rwanda isn't a safe country?

I received a reading of 42 just over a week ago, so I'm new to this as well. Gone from being in denial, to being too scared to eat anything other than veg and protein, but I've levelled out now.

I received details from my surgery of the NHS Healthier You programme - you can either attend in person sessions with others or do it online - it might not be in your area but worth asking about and might help.

Until I know more I've decided to make minor adjustments without being extreme. So last night no potatoes, but I had a lot more veg. I'm alternating breakfast between greek yogurt and berries and a lower carb cereal to what I was having. Made a large crust less quiche the other day as that's something that's ok in the fridge for 2-3 days and I can have for lunch with salad or veggies. I tend to go out a lot socially for coffee (and cake) and meals out, so am going to get some lower carb cereal bars - Nature Valley and Graze, so I have an ok(ish) treat with my coffee instead. Eating out,I'll ask to swap potatoes/rice/chips for extra salad or peas. Pasta dishes will be less pasta and more veg included. Also, am going to try some new recipes. Not sure if it's enough, but I think this will slowly help me adapt and if I need to do more, it won't be so bad.

I received a reading of 42 just over a week ago, so I'm new to this as well. Gone from being in denial, to being too scared to eat anything other than veg and protein, but I've levelled out now.

I received details from my surgery of the NHS Healthier You programme - you can either attend in person sessions with others or do it online - it might not be in your area but worth asking about and might help.

Until I know more I've decided to make minor adjustments without being extreme. So last night no potatoes, but I had a lot more veg. I'm alternating breakfast between greek yogurt and berries and a lower carb cereal to what I was having. Made a large crust less quiche the other day as that's something that's ok in the fridge for 2-3 days and I can have for lunch with salad or veggies. I tend to go out a lot socially for coffee (and cake) and meals out, so am going to get some lower carb cereal bars - Nature Valley and Graze, so I have an ok(ish) treat with my coffee instead. Eating out,I'll ask to swap potatoes/rice/chips for extra salad or peas. Pasta dishes will be less pasta and more veg included. Also, am going to try some new recipes. Not sure if it's enough, but I think this will slowly help me adapt and if I need to do more, it won't be so bad.
When you are just on that first rung of a prediabetes ladder it is just a bit of a warning that your body is struggling with carbohydrates and rather than go hammer and tongues in cutting everything out just making some sensible decisions about what to reduce the quantity of or frequency of. The big hitters are the obvious cakes, biscuits, sugary drinks including fruit juice and some high carb fruits like bananas, mangoes, pineapple and grapes so cutting those out except as treats is likely to be sufficient. However if you never really had those then looking at the other high carb things like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta. breakfast cereals and reducing your portion size might be needed. It looks as if you have made the right moves in that respect.
If you like baking then the website sugarfreelondoner has recipes for low carb cakes and biscuits which could be your contribution to your social occasions.
Eating out can be tricky a everything seems to come with chips, even a sandwich when you say NO chips. For lunch I often choose a starter and add a salad, as main meals are often huge.

Such good information from everyone, thank you all once again

Hi @sallyj and welcome to the forum from me too!

I'll second, third and quadruple the notion to be kind to yourself! There's no expectation at all for you to know everything, there is a lot of information out there, and new things are being shared regularly, so just take it a day at a time and don't over do it. The support that you'll get from your medical practice sadly differs by area and is not always consistent, but if you'll have any questions at all - share them in the forum. You can also give our helpline a call (0345 123 2399 / helpline@diabetes.org.uk), they're a really helpful and informed bunch, always eager to help as well!

Here's one (admittedly a bit tongue-in-cheek) - how can Kier Starmer support Arsenal, whose kit displays a Visit Rwanda ad, while at the same time claiming that Rwanda isn't a safe country?
Who knows Martin!

Back