New guidelines for the NHS to help those who experience severe hypos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
New guidelines for the NHS are allowing people with type 1 diabetes who experience severe hypos a greater level of access to sensor-augmented pumps.

news_sleeping.jpg

Better nights of sleep for those with type 1 diabetes and severe hypo problems – after new guidelines improve access to technology

The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) has published final diagnostics guidance recommending the MiniMed Paradigm Veo System (Medtronic) for managing blood glucose levels in some people with type 1 diabetes.

The MiniMed Paradigm Veo system consists of a glucose sensor placed under the skin that continuously measures glucose levels, an insulin pump which delivers insulin continuously, and a transmitter which sends glucose level readings wirelessly from the sensor to the pump.

https://jdrf.org.uk/news/new-guidelines-for-the-nhs-to-help-those-who-experience-severe-hypos/

The Veo has been upgraded to the 640 now and also the Vibe is mentioned in the original report. So own up to hypos like that and bang goes your driving licence.

I was at the meeting in Manchester with Nice earlier this year. A 640 is on my shopping list. It is one of the first pump to stop insulin 😎

how does the cost of a pump and separate cgm compare to an all in one?

I'm due a new pump in May (I can hardly believe I've been pumping for nearly 4 years!) and it might add fuel to my cgm cause if the all in one is a bit cheaper than 2 stand alone gizmos.

I don't know how the prices compare but the funding approved by my CCG was for Medtronic cgm as it has the function to suspend insulin to the pump. I didn't have a choice of either Dexcom or Medtronic and swapped to a Medtronic pump from Roche when I started using cgm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back