New diagosis of type 2 any help appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilLady

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hello everyone,

I am a 34 year old female diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 weeks ago.
I have a few questions and are hoping some of you lovely people can help.

Il start by saying that I was initially shocked and extremely upset about my diagnosis, but to any new members I can already say I have processed the news and feel 100% more positive and you will too. Two weeks ago I couldn't have done this, couldn't write or speak without becoming an emotional wreck, but I am now ready to learn more and speak to others in my position.

My diagnosis was a long time coming, I had felt generally unwell for months, with fatigue, re-current thrush, tingling in my hands and feet, pins and needles and extreme thrist.
I ignored my symptoms until one day I had an horrific migraine and was fed up of feeling rough, so my GP booked me in for some bloods which coincided with a 3 month pill check, I was weighed and measured and discovered id lost 1st 7lb (without life style changes.) Working from home I hadn't noticed, living in baggy clothes and elasticated waist bands.

I received a call the next morning and the nurse confirmed my bloods revealed I was diabetic. I went in the same day to meet her she took one look at me and said, you will type 1, being overweight I was puzzled.
The NHS definition can be misleading, she replied your age and your size, you're only small, I am almost 5'3 and 12 stone 10b so not exactly small, but not a typical type 2 candidate, although I was 13 stone 8lb at that point.
Anyway the nurse checked my urine sample which seemed to confirm type 2 (no ketones) present.

Since my diagnosis I have made a lot of changes, I exercise at least 30 minutes every day and I am eating very low carb.
I take metformin twice a day.

Here come the questions
I have purchased some urine glucose strips from amazon which indicate no excessive amounts of glucose in my urine, in fact they come back negative, they change colour if (they do work, tested with sugary water.)
So I know my bloods are under whatever the pic means attached.
Is it possible to see dramatic changes (3 weeks into treatment?)
Is a urine ketone strip a trusted way for my nurse to confirm type 1 or 2 or should I ask for further tests?
I had a hypo episode today and it got me reading about late type 1 onset.
Also despite feeling much better physically, making all the right changes and having this negative BG result I am still experiencing pins and needles, nerve tingling which have now also have in my arms and legs.
I have my bloods again tomorrow and check up with results on hand 13th July.
Hoping for good news.

Thanks for reading x

Attachments

• 16256979082355825005821995974695.jpg
    16256979082355825005821995974695.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 5
Hi and welcome
A urine ketone strip will only confirm glucose in your urine - it is NOT a test for Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. An HbA1c test, which is a blood test, will look at your average blood glucose over a 3 month period. Less than 42 is normal range, 42-47 is pre diabetic and 48+ is diabetic. I am guessing that your original blood test gave a result quite a lot over 48, and that would be why you were told you are diabetic, and put on Metformin. You should ask what your initial result was. In 3 weeks a repeat HbA1c would hopefully see some improvement but probably not dramatic. There are other tests which would indicate Type 1, but being Type 2, I am not familiar with them. As your nurse originally mentioned Type I, perhaps you should ask about these other tests when you go today. Good luck today

Hello @LilLady . Welcome to the forum and to the club no one wants to join.
If this is if any help at all. I have had diabetes for over 20 years and many in here have had it for very much longer.

Firstly urine test strips will only show if glucose is in your urine if it is 10 or more as this us around the level your kidneys will start to remove some excess urine, it why we pee fir England before diagnosis lol.

The best method for home testing is a glucose meter .
We recommend these two meters as they use testing strips that cost around £8 for a pot of 50, where other brands use strips that cost £15 to £30 fir 50 and when you are doing in depth testing which you need to do initially cost if the strips are important .

We use the mmol/l measurement in the uk and you are entitled to claim VAT relief .

Their is the Tee two meter , sorry I don’t have a link .

You will need to buy more pots of test strips , I suggest 2 to start with and a box of lancets as they only provide 10 in starter packs.

When I started to read your post and about your unplanned weight loss I did wonder about T1 or rather the slower onset version of it LADA ( latent auto immune diabetes in adults) also known as 1.5 . Dont worry ok as no type of diabetes is worse than another, just how it’s treated is different ok.
So it’s good to hear your nurse is aware you may have T1.

with Diabetes they are very few things you can’t do and mostly the few things you can’t do are due to the treatment your on. Don’t worry Metformin isn’t on that list.
How are you getting in with Metformin, any tummy upsets ?

Ask all the questions you need to , we’ll do our best to help.

I would agree with all of the above. If you had a hypo. It would point to T1 but on the other hand yo need to be taking medicine that reduces blood sugar such as insulin and normally T2’s would start on metformin which doesn’t give hypos. As a long term T1 I remember back in the days before gluco-meters we used test strips to test our levels but they were very hit and miss at the best of times.
If your nurse suspects then you should be able to get a glucose meter and test strips prescribed, just call her and ask for one, she probably has some in her desk drawer to give to patients.
There are som tests to establish which type you are. Measuring concentrations of insulin or C-peptide(a fragment of proinsulin that serves as a marker for insulin secretion) rarely is necessary to diagnose type 2 diabetes mellitus or differentiate type 2 diabetes from type 1 diabetes mellitus. Insulin levels generally are high early in the course of type 2 diabetes mellitus and gradually wane over time. And I would suspect she would be arranging them for you, again ask her.
Best of luck on your new journey

Those adjustment to your diet should have started to make a difference to your blood glucose levels in bringing them down. So your symptoms of a hypo could be that your body is adjusting to the lower levels and is not uncommon if your levels had been really high.
Monitoring is going to be the key to managing your condition regardless of what Type you end up being.

What symptoms did you have with the hypo.

Their is what we call a false hypo, it’s where you get the symptoms because your body has been used to having higher blood glucose levels and now they have started flopping , it doesn’t like it , but you will only know if it’s a false or real one by using a glucose meter at the time.
On a glucose meter a real hypo is 4.0 mmol/l or lower

You can go straight to the Spirit Healthcare site for a meter and supplies - you register, confirm diabetic by an email interaction and then you can order free of VAT directly with the company - though I am told that some people have phoned them and blagged a free meter when they put in an order for several pots of strips and a box of lancets.

You may experience side effects with your vision if you cut carbs too quickly.
It’s arguably better to cut by 1/3rd and hold that for a couple of weeks before cutting by 1/3rd and holding that for a couple of weeks etc.

Hi and welcome
A urine ketone strip will only confirm glucose in your urine - it is NOT a test for Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes. An HbA1c test, which is a blood test, will look at your average blood glucose over a 3 month period. Less than 42 is normal range, 42-47 is pre diabetic and 48+ is diabetic. I am guessing that your original blood test gave a result quite a lot over 48, and that would be why you were told you are diabetic, and put on Metformin. You should ask what your initial result was. In 3 weeks a repeat HbA1c would hopefully see some improvement but probably not dramatic. There are other tests which would indicate Type 1, but being Type 2, I am not familiar with them. As your nurse originally mentioned Type I, perhaps you should ask about these other tests when you go today. Good luck today
Thank you.
The urine strip the nurse used was different to what I have at home. She looked at glucose and ketones and confirmed there was no ketones in my urine, so said I was type 2.
But if it was late onset type 1 I don't suppose ketones would be present.
My blood glucose level was 119.
Today at my appt they haven't looked at my glucose levels, they're checking my cholesterol, so I was a bit miffed about that, they will repeat in September to check my blood sugars. I am going to buy a monitor myself for peace of mind, I think it's important to know where I am.
A bit nervous about the cholesterol results, but my blood pressure is normal so that's a good sign I hope.

If this is if any help at all. I have had diabetes for over 20 years and many in here have had it for very much longer.

Firstly urine test strips will only show if glucose is in your urine if it is 10 or more as this us around the level your kidneys will start to remove some excess urine, it why we pee fir England before diagnosis lol.

We recommend these two meters as they use testing strips that cost around £8 for a pot of 50, where other brands use strips that cost £15 to £30 fir 50 and when you are doing in depth testing which you need to do initially cost if the strips are important .

We use the mmol/l measurement in the uk and you are entitled to claim VAT relief .

You will need to buy more pots of test strips , I suggest 2 to start with and a box of lancets as they only provide 10 in starter packs.

When I started to read your post and about your unplanned weight loss I did wonder about T1 or rather the slower onset version of it LADA ( latent auto immune diabetes in adults) also known as 1.5 . Dont worry ok as no type of diabetes is worse than another, just how it’s treated is different ok.

with Diabetes they are very few things you can’t do and mostly the few things you can’t do are due to the treatment your on. Don’t worry Metformin isn’t on that list.

Thank you for a your advice. I will purchase a monitor so I can keep an eye on things myself.

I've felt fine on Metformin, odd cramp the first few days in, a bit of churning sometimes, but that's it. So all good there.
I would agree with all of the above. If you had a hypo. It would point to T1 but on the other hand yo need to be taking medicine that reduces blood sugar such as insulin and normally T2’s would start on metformin which doesn’t give hypos. As a long term T1 I remember back in the days before gluco-meters we used test strips to test our levels but they were very hit and miss at the best of times.
If your nurse suspects then you should be able to get a glucose meter and test strips prescribed, just call her and ask for one, she probably has some in her desk drawer to give to patients.
There are som tests to establish which type you are. Measuring concentrations of insulin or C-peptide(a fragment of proinsulin that serves as a marker for insulin secretion) rarely is necessary to diagnose type 2 diabetes mellitus or differentiate type 2 diabetes from type 1 diabetes mellitus. Insulin levels generally are high early in the course of type 2 diabetes mellitus and gradually wane over time. And I would suspect she would be arranging them for you, again ask her.
Best of luck on your new journey
Thank you, when I see my nurse I will discuss late type 1 and request the tests.

What symptoms did you have with the hypo.

Their is what we call a false hypo, it’s where you get the symptoms because your body has been used to having higher blood glucose levels and now they have started flopping , it doesn’t like it , but you will only know if it’s a false or real one by using a glucose meter at the time.
On a glucose meter a real hypo is 4.0 mmol/l or lower
Well I can't be sure it was a hypo but I suspect it. I felt really tired so went for a nap.
When I got up I had this crazy craving for something sweet, I've not craved sweet things at all since my diagnosis, I see it as poison now and have no desire to eat bad things, although I don't have much of a sweet tooth anyway.
I was shaky all over when I woke up,
I was craving something sweet in the way you might crave a cigarette, my hands were shaky, I could feel my heart pounding.
I had a little bowl of cheerios and felt ok again soon after.

You may experience side effects with your vision if you cut carbs too quickly.
It’s arguably better to cut by 1/3rd and hold that for a couple of weeks before cutting by 1/3rd and holding that for a couple of weeks etc.
I have had a dramatic change in diet, I never exceed 30 net carb in any one meal I aim for under 20. So il keep that in my mind. My body is probably in shock.

I have had a dramatic change in diet, I never exceed 30 net carb in any one meal I aim for under 20. So il keep that in my mind. My body is probably in shock.
What was it like before you slashed the carb intake?

Gosh, terrible.
Id skip breakfast and lunch working from home not wanting to cook for one, I'd replace it with a couple of bags of crisps and a couple of biscuits. Then I'd eat dinner with my family early evening, always carb heavy, pasta, bread, potatoes to name a few.
Too many takeaways, too much convenience food.

Welcome to the forum, @LilLady . I’m wondering if your hypo symptoms were what’s known as a 'false hypo' which is quite a common thing to get if your Blood Glucose levels have fallen quite rapidly from being consistently at a higher level. You aren’t truly hypo, in that your blood glucose is in the normal range, but it’s lower than your body has become accustomed to. It sounds likely that your levels have fallen, because of the dietary changes you’ve made, and your body should adjust and accept the 'new normal'

If the nurse tested for ketones, it would be to check you weren’t in danger of developing diabetic ketoacidosis, which is the result of untreated Type 1 diabetes. Ketones are produced when the body isn’t producing enough insulin to process the carbs in your diet, so turns to burning fat and eventually muscle instead. Type 2s can be producing plenty of insulin, but the body can’t use it effectively. It s a bit of a 'rule of thumb' method of deciding between Type 1 or 2, but she at least ruled out that you weren’t developing a sudden onset sort of Type 1 which needs urgent treatment with insulin. It’s good that she’s keeping an open mind about diagnosis, sometimes it takes a while to become apparent. (I was misdiagnosed as Type 2, and as my GP didn’t think you could develop Type 1 at my advanced age, it took ages to get the correct diagnosis, but at least she was aware that I didn’t fit the usual pattern of Type 2, and referred me to a consultant).

Just to say I was also initially assumed to be Type 2 and I didn't have any appreciable level of ketones in my urine when I originally presented or any time thereafter, so it isn't a hard and fast rule. I went the low carb route hoping to reverse the Type 2 but my HbA1c increased instead of decreasing. I was given Metformin and then Gliclazide as well. Neither showed any real effect although I did see a drop in BG as a result of a progressively stricter low carb diet. They checked my HbA1c again after 6 weeks and I was started on insulin at that point but didn't get the Type 1 testing until a couple of months later when it was authorized by the consultant.
My nurse did give me a pot of Ketostix and a BG meter though and I was told to use the Ketostix to check my urine if my BG levels exceeded 15. You can buy Ketostix over the counter for about £5 and it might be worth getting some just in case things suddenly go haywire as they can with Type 1. The low carb diet should help enormously though in the short term at least if it is Type 1 and the long term if it is Type 2.

Your "hypo" episode sounds like a hyper (high BG) which does make you feel unusually sleepy followed by probably a false hypo as your pancreas eventually managed to produce some insulin to deal with it. Those highs and sudden drops are horrid! Thinking back, they were worse than most of the real hypos I experience now.

I am reading this and speaking to my Gp this week been waiting weeks for a phone call but I believe that is what is happening to me. I am all over the place and well the low carb does not seem to help that much . I am better than it was but the hot flushes are not menopause related. More to do with exercise and food and the dawn phenomenon which I am not really sure of but my sugar is mega high then comes down afore but not enough then I eat breakfast and it can come down 4 to 5. So when I eat I thought it would go up but no it goes down . Yes I drink and its after a shower but its after the shower I feel I am nearly ready to go back to bed. I regain strength but am wabbit as I call it a lot of the time. I may have lada but who knows I am hoping this Gp will take this seriously and give me a clue.

Welcome to the forum @LilLady

Hope you get some clarity over your diabetes type soon. The unintentional weight loss does raise questions, but if that were due to the onset of T1 you would usually expect ketones to be detectable.

Diagnosis and classification is a much trickier business than one might imagine, partly because diabetes is so fickle and varies so much from person to person even within ‘types’. The cPeptide and GAD antibody checks can provide helpful clues, but they aren’t routinely recommended because you can be properly T1 and negative for antibodies (eg if all your beta cells have already gone). They are most likely to be helpful close to diagnosis.

If you are LADA, and still have some beta cells firing away, I guess it’s possible that your low carb diet and the reduced insulin requirements involved might mean your body can cope - at least for a while, until more beta cells are lost to autoimmune attack?

Just to say I was also initially assumed to be Type 2 and I didn't have any appreciable level of ketones in my urine when I originally presented or any time thereafter, so it isn't a hard and fast rule. I went the low carb route hoping to reverse the Type 2 but my HbA1c increased instead of decreasing. I was given Metformin and then Gliclazide as well. Neither showed any real effect although I did see a drop in BG as a result of a progressively stricter low carb diet. They checked my HbA1c again after 6 weeks and I was started on insulin at that point but didn't get the Type 1 testing until a couple of months later when it was authorized by the consultant.
My nurse did give me a pot of Ketostix and a BG meter though and I was told to use the Ketostix to check my urine if my BG levels exceeded 15. You can buy Ketostix over the counter for about £5 and it might be worth getting some just in case things suddenly go haywire as they can with Type 1. The low carb diet should help enormously though in the short term at least if it is Type 1 and the long term if it is Type 2.

Your "hypo" episode sounds like a hyper (high BG) which does make you feel unusually sleepy followed by probably a false hypo as your pancreas eventually managed to produce some insulin to deal with it. Those highs and sudden drops are horrid! Thinking back, they were worse than most of the real hypos I experience now.
Thanks for your reply.
I completely agree that that the hypo was a high, rather than low.
I've bought a BG monitor and have had good readings but yesterday I felt crap and low and behold I had a reading of 9.7, I slept for 12 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back