New Diagnosis and Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

emz89

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed type 2 about 7 weeks ago. With the first HBCA1 of 73 and subsequently 76.

I started on metformin twice daily. The surgery didn't give me a blood glucose monitor. However, I have bought one and they now do prescribe me the strips and lancets.

I've tried to go low carb but do find it difficult but do what I can. I had a repeat HBAC1 Friday and it has gone down to 55

My blurry vision has subsided. Also never realised just how fatigued I was. No longer ready for bed at 5pm

That is very good progress and good they are prescribing the strips and lancets, you can reuse the lancets so if they have given you a box of 100 it will likely last several years.
Why are you finding low carb difficult? Most people find it hard to get out of the mindset of having to have potatoes, rice, pasta, bread with everything but having enough other low carb foods you will soon not miss those foods. There are some acceptable substitutes as well.

You're off to a great start @emz89 - well done! I hope you find a balance that suits you, carb-wise. 🙂

I'd be interested in this.
Cauliflower rice, butternut squash, edamame or black bean pasta.
The website sugarfreelondoner has lots of recipes for both sweet (uses ground almonds instead of wheat flour) as well as savoury dishes.
High protein yoghurts or Kvarg deserts or sugarfree jelly with added berries are good deserts. I make fruit crumble with the topping made with a ground almonds, low sugar granola, seeds, and butter.
This link also has some menu ideas https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Internet search for low carb or Keto recipes are useful for ideas.

That is very good progress and good they are prescribing the strips and lancets, you can reuse the lancets so if they have given you a box of 100 it will likely last several years.
But bear in mind that they are only sterile on first use........

Cauliflower rice, butternut squash, edamame or black bean pasta.
The website sugarfreelondoner has lots of recipes for both sweet (uses ground almonds instead of wheat flour) as well as savoury dishes.
High protein yoghurts or Kvarg deserts or sugarfree jelly with added berries are good deserts. I make fruit crumble with the topping made with a ground almonds, low sugar granola, seeds, and butter.
This link also has some menu ideas https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Internet search for low carb or Keto recipes are useful for ideas.
I’ll definitely be looking into that for substitutes

Why are you finding low carb difficult? Most people find it hard to get out of the mindset of having to have potatoes, rice, pasta, bread with everything but having enough other low carb foods you will soon not miss those foods. There are some acceptable substitutes as well.
I have the accu check fast check pen thing so little barrels with 6 needles in.

I enjoy carbs if I am honest. I have reduced them alot though

I also have the 2 hour course tomorrow evening

I have the accu check fast check pen thing so little barrels with 6 needles in.

I enjoy carbs if I am honest. I have reduced them alot though

I also have the 2 hour course tomorrow evening
You might enjoy carbs but if you have Type 2 diabetes then sadly your body doesn't, eyes, nerves, limbs can all suffer unpleasant consequences of unmanaged high blood glucose.

I was diagnosed type 2 about 7 weeks ago. With the first HBCA1 of 73 and subsequently 76.

I started on metformin twice daily. The surgery didn't give me a blood glucose monitor. However, I have bought one and they now do prescribe me the strips and lancets.

I've tried to go low carb but do find it difficult but do what I can. I had a repeat HBAC1 Friday and it has gone down to 55

My blurry vision has subsided. Also never realised just how fatigued I was. No longer ready for bed at 5pm

Well done, good achievement in such a short space of time.

Cauliflower rice, butternut squash, edamame or black bean
I've been looking at a number of carb replacements and nothing really hits the mark for me. I've not tried cauliflower rice but noticed it in the supermarket and its like 4 times the price of pasta/rice. A large grapefruit sized fresh cauli is £1.10 so not particularly cheap. Might give it a go at the weekend. Same really goes for the pasta's made with various beans ie £15/kg rather than £1.5/kg.

Going to try 2 weeks of low carb from 1st July followed by 2 weeks of moderate carbs the weeks after and see what my BG looks like. HBA1C is due next month the first after diagnosis!

I’m looking for low carb alternatives. There’s been some good bits of info on the pasta and rice also swapping out potatoes. I love veg anyways so piling up on that instead of carb heavy foods wouldn’t bother me too much

I've been looking at a number of carb replacements and nothing really hits the mark for me. I've not tried cauliflower rice but noticed it in the supermarket and its like 4 times the price of pasta/rice. A large grapefruit sized fresh cauli is £1.10 so not particularly cheap. Might give it a go at the weekend. Same really goes for the pasta's made with various beans ie £15/kg rather than £1.5/kg.

Going to try 2 weeks of low carb from 1st July followed by 2 weeks of moderate carbs the weeks after and see what my BG looks like. HBA1C is due next month the first after diagnosis!
I would never dream of buying cauliflower rice, a grater is all you need. Try a greengrocer or market for cheaper than the supermarket.
The pasta may be more expensive but I only use 25g per portion.

That’s definitely being given a go this weekend. I was thinking I’d prefer it fried with spices. It’s a cracking idea cheers

Cauliflower mash also works well as a potato mash replacement. No peeling and quicker and easier to cook and mash. You have to drain it really well and then I add a large dollop of cream cheese and a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and perhaps some mature cheddar grated over the top and goes really well with high meat content sausages or gammon. Or you can use it to top a cottage/shepherd's/fish pie. I was really impressed as to how well that worked as a sub for tatties.

Brilliant ideas the cauliflower mash will definitely be used. Probably more in winter to be honest but I’ll be trying both out see how I get on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back