New Books

Yes I love the feel, smell and look of books and swore I'd never get a kindle, but I bought one to go on holiday and haven't looked back since. The best thing is you can read it while you're eating. With a book you have to prop it open but I can have a proper knife and fork tea with my kindle!
Vonny looking at your sig you have lost a lot of weight how did you do it?

I'm gripped at the minute with Lionel Shriver's 'So Much For That' and as usual it bugs the heck out of me that she has a guy's name. I wonder why?

I am have been an ebooker for quite a few years. It is much more convenient for me, especially when I travel, I can carry multiple books with me with ease. And when I want something new, I get it instantly.
However, when it comes to the smell, it is the smell of old books that gets me. I guess it's musty but I still enjoy opening an big heavy old tome and breathing in the aroma.

Vonny looking at your sig you have lost a lot of weight how did you do it?
Cutting carbs and walking @gail2. I aim for around 20k steps in the summer but in winter I'm happy with 12k per day. I so eat occasional carbs now, but with chilli, curry etc I have brocolli and green beans in place of rice. I'm so used to it now that I couldn't eat it any other way! 😉

Cutting carbs and walking @gail2. I aim for around 20k steps in the summer but in winter I'm happy with 12k per day. I so eat occasional carbs now, but with chilli, curry etc I have brocolli and green beans in place of rice. I'm so used to it now that I couldn't eat it any other way! 😉
Im cutting carbs{carbs/cals my godsend} Have lost two stone so far[now know its due to my diet not cancer as feared}. Cant do the walking as im disabled and unable to walk more than 6 steps without the aid of my frame. Am going to start swimming again. M##### the houses activity bloke is going to take me once a week.

...and for different people.

I can only think of a couple of pros for 'real' books. But perhaps if you list your pros and cons I might be convinced of others.
Again this is completely personal and yes Kindle books can and do fill a need but.....
When you buy a physical book (PB) you don't also need an additional £150 Kindle gadget to read it.
PB's don't break if you drop them.
A PB doesn't need to be charged.
A PB will last 100's of years whereas Amazon brick 'old' kindles forcing you to upgrade.
PB's don't give you eye-strain when using the Kindle app.
You can lend/borrow a PB to/from a friend saving money
You can help your fav charity by giving/buying books to/from them.
Again no issue with Kindle books per se (Amazon tells me I have 2432) but to me anyway they are part of the mix with PB's

A PB will last 100's of years whereas Amazon brick 'old' kindles forcing you to upgrade.
I appreciate there is a personal preference but don't underestimate Kindles.
I was not convinced until I was given one and now, I would not be without it.
- My Kindle has been dropped many times and survived. I have even stood on it. It is definitely more robust than a phone.
- My Kindle needs charging once every month and I use it for hours every day
- My Kindle is about 10 years old and I have never been forced to upgrade
- My Kindle does not give me eyestrain because it is back lit and I can change the font size, unlike books.
- My Kindle is lighter than a book so is less strain on my broken arm

I do agree that the reliance on Amazon to acquire books on Kindle is a negative so I cannot lend it or give it to a charity and end up filling Amazon's coffers.
I spend all my TopCashBack rewards on books so they do not cost me anything.

Last edited:
Again this is completely personal and yes Kindle books can and do fill a need but.....
When you buy a physical book (PB) you don't also need an additional £150 Kindle gadget to read it.
You can lend/borrow a PB to/from a friend saving money
You can help your fav charity by giving/buying books to/from them.
Again no issue with Kindle books per se (Amazon tells me I have 2432) but to me anyway they are part of the mix with PB's
- I try to buy as much of my technology second-hand as possible (Don't think I've had a 'new' phone since 2006). My Kindle is one of the first 'paperwhite' editions, which I bought second-hand for about 50 euros. Much cheaper than tons of bookshelves.

- Ebook readers do need to be charges, but it takes a minute dribble of electricity, doesn't take long, and one charge lasts an age.

- I'm not entirely sure books lasting hundred's of years is ideal.

- I've not experienced eye-strain from e-readers, especially given the ability to zoom in on and embolden text. Magnifying readers give me headaches.

- Sharing and donating is definitely a huge advantage of physical books.

At this point I'm interested in solutions that are as environmentally-friendly as they can be. Not sure how how physical books stack up against Kindle hardware, but I get the feeling that audiobooks may be the better option.

Might have to check out a Kindle. Wonder if they do the sorts of books I like. If they've got Monica Dickens, Janet Sandison, Donald E Westlake etc I'm in. 🙂

Might have to check out a Kindle. Wonder if they do the sorts of books I like. If they've got Monica Dickens, Janet Sandison, Donald E Westlake etc I'm in. 🙂
I've just checked kindle store and they have Monica Dickens and Donald E Westlake but no Janet Sandison. I've got kindle unlimited which allows me access to lots of free (and sometimes not very good!) books, but I still have to pay for some of the things I want. @Ditto, if you google kindle store you can have a browse and decide if there are enough of the books you like to splash out on the hardware x

i agree kindles are good but you cant beat a PB for sheer physical feeling

I do agree that the reliance on Amazon to acquire books on Kindle is a negative so I cannot lend it or give it to a charity and end up filling Amazon's coffers.
You don't have to rely on amazon to get your ebooks, when I used my Kindle there were loads of places online to get out of print/copyright books, a lot of the old classics too. Guttenberg press rings a bell, think they have a website, but as I say, there were a few, probably lots more now too.
Kindles can save/read pdf's plus few other formats, not just the amazon format, eg: txt, mobi, azw, etc
One of the few things better than a book, a free book!

Back