New Books

gail2

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
Have got a lot of books from Amazon ,some old some new. Theres something about a new book the shear shiney new look of it, the smell of it. Am i the only one who feels like this I wonder

No you are not. One of the pleasures of reading is the aura of a book, new or second hand. I also find old books exciting with their old type and printing methods. Sometimes though that is a real problem if they have been exposed to damp as the mouldy smell and deterioration of the paper/ink can make it impossible to endure. Often I have had to return or throwaway books as unreadable, even books from the 1970's. Poorly stored or cared for books (e.g. in a garage) are prime suspects for this.

Last edited:
I don't do paper books anymore,I am Kindle reader.
You are missing so much the shear enjoyment/excitement of a new book and come to it a old book brings. I know Kindles are good, but for me they are not an equal way of enjoyment. However each to his own.

Saw an article this morning that old books might be bad for us. Damn and blast. I'll risk it, I'm not getting rid of mine. I just won't lick them or inhale. :D

You are missing so much the shear enjoyment/excitement of a new book and come to it a old book brings. I know Kindles are good, but for me they are not an equal way of enjoyment. However each to his own.
Sorry I disagree I am not missing out!

I could not settle in to read on a screen. It wouldn't do it for me. Each to his own, for sure. 🙂

I buy ebooks and hardback/ paperback books. I find reading novels on my kindle easier on my eyes as I can adjust the font and brightness to suit. Prefer real paper for illustrations and photos. I hope both will always be available.

Saw an article this morning that old books might be bad for us. Damn and blast. I'll risk it, I'm not getting rid of mine. I just won't lick them or inhale. :D
Probably mould spores. Always a potential problem.

I buy ebooks and hardback/ paperback books. I find reading novels on my kindle easier on my eyes as I can adjust the font and brightness to suit. Prefer real paper for illustrations and photos. I hope both will always be available.
I find hardbacks solve the same problem. By trail/error I've established a minimum type size that works for me, so when buying I'll ask for a pic of a whole page of text. Not always supplied !

I've been wanting to read a bit more Dickens (so far Ive only read Bleak House, Oliver Twist and, a bit of Great Expectations (should have read it all as I did it for O level))but whenever I find an old copy of Dickens in a charity shop or even new they are the Penguin Classics or some other publisher with tiny print. I'm not sure my aging eyes are up to it and it has led me to start to think about a KIndle and reading them electronically. Jury still out at the moment but I still love the feel of a physical book in my hand.

I found that but the answer for me was to find a set of the Fabbri 2004 reprints of the 1873 Chapman & Hall version. Largish type and most 2 volume novels are not crammed into one book. e.g. this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/226285226846? This set seems better looking than the description says.

You'll find quite a lot of these on Ebay. £80 or less is a decent price for all but one of the volumes (usually £100 or so complete). Unlike Heron book reprints, they don't seem to split.

whoops have ordered £200 worth of books off Amazon Thats all my loose change money gone (see old post). They are all coming tomorrow. Every thing from Diary Of A Country Parson to carbs/cals Cant wait

... Diary Of A Country Parson ...
Had a paperback for years, still not got around to reading it!

Re the iffy vintage books, as well as mould it was the dyes, full of lead and stuff. Good grief.

I luvs large print books, so much easier to read, you can whizz through them in next to no time. I won't bother with Dickens though, I could never see the attraction. I like Monica Dickens, similar vein, social stuff, but modern-ish.

I much prefer books on my kindle , less to pack when I go on holiday, lightweight to hold in one hand when reading in bed , and if it falls out of your hand if you drop off to sleep reading it, it comes back on on the correct page, no hunting through the book to find where you were.

Yes I love the feel, smell and look of books and swore I'd never get a kindle, but I bought one to go on holiday and haven't looked back since. The best thing is you can read it while you're eating. With a book you have to prop it open but I can have a proper knife and fork tea with my kindle!

Yes, love a new book! 🙂
I got myself a kindle ages ago, but its just not the same as a "real" book. Can't remember the last time I looked at my Kindle, but pretty much read a book of one sort or another usually every day, even if only for five minutes.
However, I do sometimes read on my phone, using Kindle app, if I'm kept waiting somewhere for any reason, just to pass the time.

Back