New and unsure

Hi Mark, it is a common side effect with metformin but usually goes away fairly soon as your body gets used to it. Are you on prolonged release metformin? If not ask about changing to it. The side effects are less severe. It may also reoccurre if you increase the dose. Hopefully the DN will be able to help.
To be honest I am not sure. I was given them Saturday by the gp and not really any further information so in the dark a bit

I did several posts about my problems with metformin. I started with one tablet and passed some soft stools upped the next week to two and eventually went to the chemist when no show for eight days but I felt fine. I went to 3 and started getting more movement then 4 last Thursday and started having tummy upsets. I have a stomach ache but not cramps today. I saw the HCP today and I am starting an SGLT he said it had more advantages than metformin and I have taken up the offer of reducing metformin to two tablets a day. He told me many people cannot tolerate the drug or have problems at higher doses. I am on the slow release which is supposed to be kinder. I'd contact the surgery particularly if you are trying to hold down a job.

To be honest I am not sure. I was given them Saturday by the gp and not really any further information so in the dark a bit
It should say MR or SR if they are the slow release version. You should build up the dose over a period of weeks so just 1 to start with. It can help if you take midmeal so you have food in your stomach. If they are not the slow release then do ask for those. Metformin helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the glucose released by the liver but only works with dietary changes as well.9

Back