New and terrified

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really fancied it abs Cheetos puff crisps for days I was really wanting crisps (chips and crisps were my fave treat foods)
I'm not trying to lead you astray with cheesy snacks, but have you tried Cheesies? They're lovely, and just made of crunchy cheese bits, so no carbs. I can recommend only buying a single bag (from Sainsbury's or Holland and Barrett), as I could eat loads of them :(.

I'm not trying to lead you astray with cheesy snacks, but have you tried Cheesies? They're lovely, and just made of crunchy cheese bits, so no carbs. I can recommend only buying a single bag (from Sainsbury's or Holland and Barrett), as I could eat loads of them :(.
Ah I don’t like them @Windy I had them in the beginning when I first was diagnosed and honestly I think I sickened myself and the smell of them puts me off now ha - I’ve got like 8 bags of the beggars lol

That is good progress.

Sad about the receptionist. They do have a tough job dealing with very unhappy, frightened people a lot of the time but that IS the job so they really should be better. However, I suspect that they are human and might have been upset over something that might have happened and you may have just happened to be in their line of sight at the wrong time.

Just put it behind you if you can.

Best wishes for your continued success

Last edited:
Ah I don’t like them @Windy I had them in the beginning when I first was diagnosed and honestly I think I sickened myself and the smell of them puts me off now ha - I’ve got like 8 bags of the beggars lol
I bought some recently and although I quite like them I don't like them enough to make them worth the money.

Results are back!!

107 jan 22
53- April 22

Rude receptionist at the doctors but there we go!
That's excellent news (apart from the receptionist :(). Well done for all your hard work, I hope that your GP/nurse is suitably dazzled by your good work when they see you next.
Sarah

Results are back!!

107 jan 22
53- April 22

Rude receptionist at the doctors but there we go!
Well done! The hard work is paying off.

Well done. Told u that u could do it. Are u on any medication ? If you don’t mind me asking do you take a fasting blood sugar reading. I am due an hba1c but I’ve noticed my fasting sugars are on the rise.
I am on 2 slow release metformin but refuse the 4 they have told me I should be taking - my nurse said you should take 4 even now your at 53 - I am desperate to be off medication and have requested another blood test for July and will challenge again.

Yes I take fasting before a meal and 2 hours after a meal and sometimes random during the day too and just before bed at night!

I am on 2 slow release metformin but refuse the 4 they have told me I should be taking - my nurse said you should take 4 even now your at 53 - I am desperate to be off medication and have requested another blood test for July and will challenge again.

Yes I take fasting before a meal and 2 hours after a meal and sometimes random during the day too and just before bed at night!
I was on 2 500mg metformin from October when my HbA1c was 80, and had a medication review with my GP in March, and he agreed to drop down to one 500mg pill. You may have to wait for the medication review until the GP gives you the nod I'm afraid.
The review was triggered because the prescription was for 6 issues, and I had to book an appointment with him to get it renewed.

I started at 108mmols and was prescribed 2000mg Metformin. When i dropped to Hba1c 40 3 months later it was reduced to 1000mg then again to 500mg 3 months further on with Hba1c 37. I don't take meds now at 36mmols. Controlled by exercise and carb watching now and testing to keep myself in check.Perhaps because you are still within Diabetic range they are still prescribing the full meds. Different Gps/Nurses have different ideas. I will say i wasn't tolerating Metformin well so perhaps thats also a factor in cutting it.

I started at 108mmols and was prescribed 2000mg Metformin. When i dropped to Hba1c 40 3 months later it was reduced to 1000mg then again to 500mg 3 months further on with Hba1c 37. I don't take meds now at 36mmols. Controlled by exercise and carb watching now and testing to keep myself in check.Perhaps because you are still within Diabetic range they are still prescribing the full meds. Different Gps/Nurses have different ideas. I will say i wasn't tolerating Metformin well so perhaps thats also a factor in cutting it.
Oh yeah for sure I wouldn’t expect to come off at this point but I need them to know I don’t want to be on it - it was her oh just take the pills that bothered me so much other thing the big D I don’t have anything else no blood pressure etc my aim is to be pre diabetic or normal if I can by july- similar to you I want to control it via diet etc. i also don’t tolerate it well and even the slow release makes me feel queasy but at least I’m not off to the loo 8times a day like the standard

@Windy did you have to book a medication review? Metformin is the only thing I’m on and the nurse didn’t even say she would see me again - is that normal / I requested another Hba1c for july

@Windy did you have to book a medication review? Metformin is the only thing I’m on and the nurse didn’t even say she would see me again - is that normal / I requested another Hba1c for july
Hi, I booked the medication review with the receptionist at the GPs. I only knew to book it as my prescription was running out - it had printed on the bottom of it - "you have 0 issues left, please contact the surgery for a medication review".
Had a phone appointment with the GP and he discussed putting me on statins and agreed to letting me continue with weight loss and lifestyle changes before we look at statins next time and also halved my metformin when I asked.

When I saw the nurse for my 3 month diabetes review in February, she said she'd see me in June, so perhaps you could ask in a few months? There's stuff here on the NHS website about reviews which says you should have your HbA1c checked every three months, but I don't know how much that's happening due to the pressures the NHS is under, but it's worth asking them.
Best wishes, Sarah

Just wanted to update this incase anyone still read it ha!

I had my follow up blood again yesterday which I requested following my first diabetic bloods which came back at 53 in April 2022 after being diagnosed in Jan 2022 at 107!

Today my bloods came back at 48 and I’ve been asked if I want to become part of my go surgery’s remission programme? Does anyone know what this is?

Also more than anything this is for anyone who is starting out on this journey that was where I started or lower and thinks they can’t do it! My DN told me I had to take 4 pills and I only took 2 all the way through ( not advocating this but simply saying you have a choice)

I eat low carb higher fat and work out 3 x a week or get at least 10k steps in. I’ve also had holidays birthdays and takeaways here and there! Just being careful and swapping and counting every carb!

But it is possible and I’m not done yet but this is a start

Last edited:
Today my bloods came back at 48 and I’ve been asked if I want to become part of my go surgery’s remission programme? Does anyone know what this is?
Hi Moon.Star8, nice to see you back on the forum again. Well done with your reduced HbA1c, I'm really proud of you!
The remission programme is this - it's a low calorie diet for a couple of months that's meant to get you to lose the small amount of fat in the pancreas and in the liver that's causing T2 diabetes. Your HbA1c is only just into the diabetes range, so whatever you're doing now is good, but it's worth talking to the nurse/GP about the programme to see if you want to do it. If it had been offered to me when I was first diagnosed, I'd have definitely done it, without hesitation.
Best wishes and congratulations on your good work so far, Sarah

Hi @Windy

Thanks for that link! Yeah I’ve said I want to know more about it an have an appt on 29th July to go in and find out more about it 🙂 so I am looking forward to finding out more about that as I know i am just on the cusp

They often say that about blood test meters (some think it is down to cost saving). Maybe if you are prone to stress and worry then not knowing might make you feel a bit calmer. Personally I prefer to understand my enemy as much as possible and 'driving blind' is just not an option. Many self fund the meters and test strips and I have yet to come across one person who says that it was not useful/essential (except some doctors and diabetic nurses).

Not using one is like guessing at the carbohydrate content of a meal whilst not knowing what the meal is. I couldn't do it.

It will be interesting to see what you decide to do. Ahh yes, it is you who decide, not the medical profession! Ok you might have to self fund if they disagree or argue the case well.
Hi Gwynn, How did you manage to get your Habc1 down from 140 to 46? I found out today mine is 120 and am keen to reduce asap my DB nurse is putting me on metformin 1 a day first week then 2 a day from week 2. Trying to work out a management plan in order to reverse my T2. Thank you Mo

Hi Gwynn, How did you manage to get your Habc1 down from 140 to 46? I found out today mine is 120 and am keen to reduce asap my DB nurse is putting me on metformin 1 a day first week then 2 a day from week 2. Trying to work out a management plan in order to reverse my T2. Thank you Mo
Hi

If it helps at all - I work out 3 times a week but in the very beginning I just walked and walked. I also count carbs and cut out anything sweet and heavy carb.

It seems tough now but you can do it

My results were
Jan 22-108
April 22- 53
July-48

Last edited:
Hiya, I'm currently newly diagnosed and can totally empathise with you. The worry, the not knowing what to eat etc. I managed to get a glucose monitor from my GP, which has helped me greatly in knowing what foods are triggering high sugars and not. I think the key is to keep up the exercise, eat little and often and make sure you're eating foods you like that are healthy and don't bump up your blood sugar. But if your sugars get high, try not to panic. Though I'm there too and high sugars are a stress. Sending a big hug xx PS I know lots of friends and family T2 and most are on Metformin.

Hi Mo, I'm not Gwynn, clearly, but if you want to get his attention, if you put an @ in front of his user name, ie @Justmoz , it'll send him a notification.
I think I'm in diabetes remission now, at least the nurse at my review said so. I lost lots of weight to get there. I read a book by Professor Roy Taylor called Your simple guide to reversing type 2 diabetes (the proceeds go to Diabetes UK), and read up what was on his webpages at Newcastle University and watched a five minute summary on youtube about it too. I didn't follow the shakes and soup diet as it wasn't offered in my area, I did my own version of 800cals/day instead.
Your HbA1c is quite high, so I'd suggest you'd be better to put the brakes on slowly with your diet, as there's a risk that you can damage your nerves and eyes if you drop your blood glucose too quickly, slow and steady is much better as it lets your body adjust to the lower levels of blood glucose and it's not such a shock.
The main thing with Prof Taylor's research is that your liver and pancreas get too much fat in them, and that causes T2 diabetes. The way to fix this is to lose weight. In his research, people who lost 15kg and kept the weight off within 6 years of being diagnosed got remission. So I decided I'd lose 15kg. I've kept going with my diet and am aiming for right in the middle of a healthy BMI for my height, but I'm 30kg down from where I started.
Best wishes in whatever you decide to do to help manage your diabetes, Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back