New and terrified

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon.Star8

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi,

Ive never joined a forum or anything like that before but seeing as i am now t2 diabetic and dont know anyone else who is, the support from a forum i think will really help.

I was diagnosed two days ago via a phone from drs and then sent some links- im a worrier at the best of times and this has opened a whole new level of worry for me.

I have been given 500g metformin to take on a evening and then build up to 4 a day over a period of weeks- is this a common drug to be given, anyone else on it?

I am overweight but have recently been loosing weight and will continue to ramp up efforts currently walking or gym 3 times a week- with effort and intermittent fasting, can i continue with that?
The Nurse i spoke to today says its about swapping out things etc so i've been having eggs and spinach for breakfast with cherry tomato's and lemon water. I already have the brown rice and brown pasta in but i've read some people say any carbs aren't good but my nurse said just a balance diet and exercise and take the tablets to get the sugars down quick.
i am on day 2 of diagnosis and i feel like i walk into my kitchen and i'm struck with a feeling of being lost! can i have dilute juice? can i have a slice of brown toast? what do i eat or drink now that i have been given this diagnosis.

My aim is to put it into remission as soon as i possibly can in the healthiest way.

Apologies for the rambling but i'm completely in shock as i didn't have any obvious symptoms - anyone else feel like they are now at war with themselves and all food is the enemy.

Welcome @Moon.Star8 🙂 Don’t panic - you’re not alone. You’ll get loads of support and suggestions here.

Metformin is a very common drug for Type 2 🙂 Do you know what your HbA1C result was? That will be the test that diagnosed you with diabetes. Knowing that will show you how far in to the diabetic zone you are.

Most Type 2s need to watch the carbs they eat. Some can tolerate more than others. A really good tool is a home blood glucose meter because you’ll be able to monitor how certain foods affect you. That will make your diet choices easier.

Hi, sounds like you are where many have been before, including me. So, hang on, you will survive. In fact, if you can get your diabetes into remission, you will thrive. Even if you don't, but improve things over all, you are likely to feel a lot better.

Can you give some details about how you came to be diagnosed and, if you know it, your HbA1c blood result.

Your battle will be to reduce your carbohydrate intake (not just 'sugar') but to ensure you have enough protein and fats (fats are not the enemy some used to think). However, by reducing your calorie intake overall and increasing exercise (if you can) then youmay find things come under better control.

As for foods you have to discover what your own body copes with and does not cope with. The only way I know to do that is to do finger prick blood tests before and 2 hrs after eating something.

It may help you to keep a food diary and use an online app to calculate how many carbohydrates you are consuming in each meal/day. My own goal is to consume less than 130g of carbohydrate a day and no more than 25g per meal. But that is me. Some go lower some higher.

Meds? It sounds as though they have not given you the chance to change things by diet and exercise. If you are not too far into the diabetic range then it might be good to discuss with the doctor or diabetic nurse that possibility. I was way into the diabetic range and decided to try diet and exercise which did work out well. Metformin does react badly for some people and very badly in some cases but there is a slow release version of it which some find helpful. I personally do not take it.

You have started on a life long journey but it is actually a good journey as long as you can work out what to eat.

Good luck and let us know how you get on and what strategy you decide to take up.

Hi, thank you ! my result was 106 so very very much diabetic according to my nurse - they took a second test today to make sure and also the other tests i need like kidney,liver etc and they have referred me for the feet and eye check. They have also advised me not to have home BG tester yet because they think it will make me panic more - im not sure what to do re that.

I was having what i thought were hormonal issues since sept and had a lot of stress and never had a blood test before but had been referred to gynecology and no blood test was offered so i pushed for one as i thought hormones were off or something that that and then all of a sudden i am diabetic.

They say they want me to have the tablets to bring in down quickly and then we can look at what they might be like once it comes down and when i have another test in around 2/3 months

Thanks again for your reply

Hi @Moon.Star8 I'm a T2 on metformin. I've also "stared into the diabetes abyss" and been a bit overwhelmed.
@Gwynn 's HbA1c was higher than yours, and mine was 80, so don't fret, it's a starting point, and you can address it with diet and weight loss.
The metformin may have unwanted side effects, it made me feel a bit sick at first, and gave me a weird metallic/sweet taste in my mouth. Some people get upset tummies too, so if you get this, contact your surgery and ask to be put on slow release metformin.
I ignored the nurse's advice about the BG monitor and bought one. I've found it massively useful and empowering - you can find out exactly what your meal or a particular food does to your BG levels, and then decide if you do want to eat it again, or in smaller quantities or whatever. Gwynn covers this in his post.
But don't let the anxiety and worry get to you, you can make changes and tackle this.
Best wishes, Sarah

Ok, well at least you know where you are with your 106. People here have had higher than that and still made huge improvements so don’t be disheartened. The best place to start is to look at what you ate before diagnosis and see where you can make changes. These changes are usually cutting out junk, adding more green veg, and reducing carbs.

If you’d like to post an average day’s food for you, you’ll get more tailored suggestions 🙂

They often say that about blood test meters (some think it is down to cost saving). Maybe if you are prone to stress and worry then not knowing might make you feel a bit calmer. Personally I prefer to understand my enemy as much as possible and 'driving blind' is just not an option. Many self fund the meters and test strips and I have yet to come across one person who says that it was not useful/essential (except some doctors and diabetic nurses).

Not using one is like guessing at the carbohydrate content of a meal whilst not knowing what the meal is. I couldn't do it.

It will be interesting to see what you decide to do. Ahh yes, it is you who decide, not the medical profession! Ok you might have to self fund if they disagree or argue the case well.

Additionally, what I discovered was that the more I understood and took control (and could show it graphically to the diabetic nurses) the more the medical profession respected the direction I had chosen to take.

So, if you can, take control bit by bit until you become that master of your own destiny.

I feel a fanfare coming on.... 🙂

I think i'd better have a lie down now...

Thank you @Windy for info regarding the tablets. I rang drs to double check i couldnt do with with just diet alone and they said no not really not at the number i am currently at.

It also helps to know that others have been higher than me and stops me stressing a bit @Inka and that - 100% get the diabetes abyss comment and @Gwynn im going to look at getting a machine i think because how i feel right now is how will i know what make its go up and then how can i counteract to bring it down again if that makes sense. ive also downloaded my fitness pal to check the carbs etc im eating and being able to scan the packets of foods i think will help too. -

@Inka looking back in the last 3 months ive had christmas, a big birthday and my wedding and honeymoon so my diet has not been great and so some of the things ive eaten and drank over that period of time i wouldnt have I jan anyways eg ( drinking baileys).
At the moment i worry about what to eat for dinner - example i may have had a white bread bun sandwich with ham and lettuce in and a packet of snack a jack rice crisps. my way of thinking now would to have rivita and sliced chicken breast with avacado or sliced cucumber etc

Last edited:
They often say that about blood test meters (some think it is down to cost saving). Maybe if you are prone to stress and worry then not knowing might make you feel a bit calmer. Personally I prefer to understand my enemy as much as possible and 'driving blind' is just not an option. Many self fund the meters and test strips and I have yet to come across one person who says that it was not useful/essential (except some doctors and diabetic nurses).

Not using one is like guessing at the carbohydrate content of a meal whilst not knowing what the meal is. I couldn't do it.

It will be interesting to see what you decide to do. Ahh yes, it is you who decide, not the medical profession! Ok you might have to self fund if they disagree or argue the case well.
I feel like it’s the unknown that is stressing me out more as you say guessing if lettuce is ok if that slice of toast pushed me right up the scale.

Well, the first thing to say is that after the initial shock and you've had a chance to calm down just a little bit you've done the right thing by joining this forum

And secondly, try not to worry too much!
Yes, it's easy to say, but we've all been there and survived - in fact more than survived, many people say they feel better with diabetes than before as they have changed the way they live & eat

Don't be put off by the horror stories you might have heard 0ooh, me Aunty had her foot off, or sensational reports in the press - that's what they want, and bad news travels faster than good

You can live well with diabetes, though you will need to make some changes, mainly to do with reducing the amount of carbohydrates and sugar you eat, and losing weight
Remember that carbohydrates are made up from sugars, starch, and other carbohydrates so you will have to reduce your intake of spuds, rice, pasta etc as well as obviously sweet things like cakes, biscuits & sweets
The finer points of doing this is covered in this forum, this website, and countless books
Many people take a diagnosis as the motivation to do some exercise, cut out stodge, processed food, a lot of fatty food, and increase their intake of fresh veg, and do all the rest of the healthy stuff you hear about

IMHO remission is a long term objective, start by getting things like blood sugar levels, blood pressure, and weight if necessary under control first, then take it from there

Have a look at -

Previous Threads on this Forum, especially Newbies, Food& Carbs, and Weight Loss; there is a lot of experience here.
Living With Diabetes on the Home Page, for advice on food & diet
Learning Zone, the red box at the top of this page

Ask any, and as many questions as you like; don't feel embarrassed, nothing is too silly, and we've all been there

Finally, ignore your nurse's advice and get your own blood glucose meter, it is essential to see how you're coping
Try to get one off your doctor, or failing that buy your own, there are recommendations & links in previous Threads

Oh, another Finally - symptoms of Diabetes include weakness, tiredness and often worry anxiety & depression; in short, just feeling rotten
You may well find that as you make changes and start to control your blood sugar levels this will have a combined or a rolling effect - you feel better, so you can do more, so you improve, so you feel better....and so on

Last edited:
If you're looking to reduce carbs the "Carbs & Cals" book (or App if you prefer) is really helpful. Totally sympathise with where you are. It gets easier 🙂 lots of friendly, helpful people on here.

Me too. I can't cope with the unknown.

Glad to hear you are getting a glucose meter. I got the Spirit Tee 2 myself.

They did shove me on metformin for a few weeks at the start till I worked out what was what and I decided to take myself off them (and the insulin) with their agreement (not approval). It was the best thing I did as everything started to settle down from that point onward. Mind you my diet was radically improved by then too. Taking personal control is so empowering.

Sounds like you are off to a very good start.

Take readings every day and plot out a graph to show them your progress. That will give you power to influence decisions about your treatment.

I take readings of body temperature, pulse, oxygen saturation, blood pressure, weight, blood glucose several times a day. Some interssting graphs too. But even just a graph of blood glucose will interest them and inform you.

Thank you @Windy for info regarding the tablets. I rang drs to double check i couldnt do with with just diet alone and they said no not really not at the number i am currently at.
You'll be called in for a three month review of your diabetes at Easter-ish and can ask for your medication to be looked at then, based on your new blood tests. If you've got your HbA1c down, they may be willing to reduce the dose. Mine didn't offer me diet alone, and I didn't know to ask. I've got my 3 month review soon (waiting for the GP receptionist to call me back), and I'll see if my HbA1c is better and if I can reduce the metformin.
At the moment i worry about what to eat for dinner - example i may have had a white bread bun sandwich with ham and lettuce in and a packet of snack a jack rice crisps. my way of thinking now would to have rivita and sliced chicken breast with avacado or sliced cucumber etc
I'd go for the ryvita and chicken. You've got carbs in the bun and the snack a jacks are also carbs. Only one lot of carbs in the ryvita, none in the chicken and a tiny bit in the avocado and cucumber. You've got Myfitnesspal to guide you. You don't have to eat no carbs, just if you've got the choice, if you choose less carb rich meals, that'll calm your blood glucose down.

It does all get easier, the first week is the worst, as it's all new and unknown.

@Moon.Star8 with your Hba1c being quite high it is probably sensible that you are continuing to eat high carb foods until you reduce down a bit, but in the long run bread, rice and pasta might have to go, it all depends on what you can cope with and keep to normal numbers.
Gradual reduction in carbs will make it easier to adapt for a long term solution, and should guard against the shock of lower glucose levels.

There is a thread in the Food forum, What did you eat Yesterday which might give you some ideas of what people have for meals. The things people with Type 1 may be quite different from those with Type 2 and they may have varying amounts of carbohydrates per day depending on whether they are diet managed only or are on various oral meds or insulin so be aware of that. What people have they will have determined by testing with a home monitor to see what they can tolerate.
That is why people highly recommend having a monitor as it enables better food choices.

To add to what @Drummer says, if you keep a food diary with everything you eat and drink estimating the carbs for each meal and therefore the day then look to reducing them by say a third for a couple of weeks, then another third until you get to where you want or need to be, than will help to avoid issues with your eyes and nerves.

@Drummer when you say hi carb foods the only thing pasta or bread wise I’ve eaten since diagnosis is one portion of brown pasta. i havent had potatoes or anything. Otherwise I’ve been eating tuna fish in lettuce instead of bread and a sandwich etc and I’ve been having eggs and cherry tomatoes for breakfast. I’ve bought rivita but haven’t had that for a lunch as of yet and have only had cup of tea with skimmed milk and lemon water or water with zero added sugar dilute in.

@Drummer when you say hi carb foods the only thing pasta or bread wise I’ve eaten since diagnosis is one portion of brown pasta. i havent had potatoes or anything. Otherwise I’ve been eating tuna fish in lettuce instead of bread and a sandwich etc and I’ve been having eggs and cherry tomatoes for breakfast. I’ve bought rivita but haven’t had that for a lunch as of yet and have only had cup of tea with skimmed milk and lemon water or water with zero added sugar dilute in.
Ah - I was probably misreading what you wrote - you mean you have the food available not that you have eaten them. I seem to be easily confused and getting the wrong end of the stick these days - I'll blame the covid I had just before Christmas for scrambling my brains, but I do apologise
You don't need to use skimmed milk - it isn't the fat which is the problem, just the carbs, and they are still there in skimmed milk.
Ordinary tomatoes are lower in sugar than the cherry ones, which are being bred for sweetness very successfully.
Following the advice From Leadinglights would be good, cutting down gradually - using a blood glucose meter is a good idea so you can see how you are affected by various foods will help with the choices of which foods to reduce first.

Just to encourage you my hba1c was115 on diagnosis on 19th October 21 and by 22nd December 21 it was down to 55 with diet and exercise no meds. Three meals a day at the same time to snacking and eating late at night. Plan to be finished eating by 6:30 if you can and walk after if u can even it’s on 30 mins it will make a big difference. Although it is not advisable to reduce your levels really quickly as others have stated above. Slow and steady wins the race. You can do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back