New and scared!!

Jane29

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hi told on 22nd July I was pre diabetic 43moll , it means very little to me told online a few pounds I have read a lot on Facebook found this site this morning am going for repeat blood test next Tuesday at 10am I’ve lost 2 stone in weight almost I’m doing exercise probably not as much as I should but am hoping I am well on the way to reversing it , sadly the doctor wasn’t much help therefore I no very little and am kinda scared, glad to be part of a community

Hello @Jane29 and welcome to the forum. Firstly sorry to hear that you have mot received much support or information from your doctor. I would generally ignore a lot of Facebook or Internet information as much of it is inaccurate or taken out of context. I have found this forum really helpful. Information from people who have been living with diabetes or at risk of diabetes. They are always happy to listen and answer any questions you have. You are at the bottom of the scale doctors use to assess diabetes risk and this can be managed with changes to diet and exercise. You mentioned you have lost weight so if that was intended it will definitely help. You may need medication but see what your doctors say. The Diabetes UK learning zone also has lots of information which should help you understand the impact of raised blood sugars. Wishing you all the best.

Hello there @Jane29 and welcome to the forum....I'm shocked to read that your doctor hasn't been very helpful when it's come to giving you information or support...but as with @silver minion I strongly suggest that you don't pay much attention to what they say on the likes of Facebook...it really isn't worth it.

Last edited:
Hi @Jane29 and welcome to the forum and a huge congratulations, because you are doing all the right things so far in losing the weight and doing more exercise.
I, like you am new to the forum and every thing I have read so far, say's 3 things

1) Diet
2) exercise
3) Weight

Your next blood test will tell you more on how you have done, but I'm guessing you stand every chance of a good result.

Please let us know how you get on

Alan 😉

With an HbA1C of 43mmol/mol you were just on the first rung of the pre diabetic ladder and with your weight loss I would absolutely expect your result in a few days time will show a below 42mmol/mol indicating normal.
However having had that slightly elevated blood glucose it perhaps indicates your body is less tolerant of carbohydrates so keeping a watchful eye on your carb intake and make the carbs you have worth it for flavour and enjoyment rather than empty carbs used as fillers but not really needed.
This link has good guidance and should help you keep on track in the future https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Good luck for your test.

Hiya! Sooooo - can we please pedal back a bit here and ask what it was that led to you having the blood test which showed the result of 43?

Hi, Newish to T2D here myself. At first I was horrified and I heard/read all the horror stories, blindness, amputations, etc.
But, its not all bad news, this might just be the wake up call we sometimes need.
If your GP is not vey good maybe ask to se another one, and read all the good advice on here. ignore faceache, twatter, etc.
If you are looking for good advice then stick to websites like this, where people are actually living with T2D and T1D.
Its hard but try to stay positive, losing weight and more exercise is good, keep at it.
As above let us know how you get on. 😎

Hiya! Sooooo - can we please pedal back a bit here and ask what it was that led to you having the blood test which showed the result of 43?
I was feeling very tired and had put about a stone in weight on also feeling low mood

Hi, Newish to T2D here myself. At first I was horrified and I heard/read all the horror stories, blindness, amputations, etc.
But, its not all bad news, this might just be the wake up call we sometimes need.
If your GP is not vey good maybe ask to se another one, and read all the good advice on here. ignore faceache, twatter, etc.
If you are looking for good advice then stick to websites like this, where people are actually living with T2D and T1D.
Its hard but try to stay positive, losing weight and more exercise is good, keep at it.
As above let us know how you get on. 😎
Awe thanks for the support I’ll keep on keeping on

Hi @Jane29 and welcome to the forum and a huge congratulations, because you are doing all the right things so far in losing the weight and doing more exercise.
I, like you am new to the forum and every thing I have read so far, say's 3 things

1) Diet
2) exercise
3) Weight

Your next blood test will tell you more on how you have done, but I'm guessing you stand every chance of a good result.

Please let us know how you get on

Alan 😉
Oh thanks Alan am hoping that I can reverse it what a wake up call am actually enjoying the much cleaner eating but I often crave a piece of cake

ive been on insulin for 10 days i was scared too, my range was 68, not sure what that ment, now im on 40, lost 3 stone in 10 days, the nurse yesterday said that was good, as i cut down on cake, crisps ect, she took me off insulin but im still wareing the sensor, my level is 11 05, today, still not understanding, that neither, but i join this group and its excellent i love it, welcome from a another newbie,

ive been on insulin for 10 days i was scared too, my range was 68, not sure what that ment, now im on 40, lost 3 stone in 10 days, the nurse yesterday said that was good, as i cut down on cake, crisps ect, she took me off insulin but im still wareing the sensor, my level is 11 05, today, still not understanding, that neither, but i join this group and its excellent i love it, welcome from a another newbie,
On the face of it weight loss of 3 stone in 10 days is worrying, is that during the time you were taking insulin.
Have they considered you may be Type 1 with that sort of weight loss it would put up a red flag unless there is some other explanation.

With an HbA1C of 43mmol/mol you were just on the first rung of the pre diabetic ladder and with your weight loss I would absolutely expect your result in a few days time will show a below 42mmol/mol indicating normal.
However having had that slightly elevated blood glucose it perhaps indicates your body is less tolerant of carbohydrates so keeping a watchful eye on your carb intake and make the carbs you have worth it for flavour and enjoyment rather than empty carbs used as fillers but not really needed.
This link has good guidance and should help you keep on track in the future https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Good luck for your test.
So supportive Thankyou much appreciated

Hello @Jane29 and welcome to the forum. Firstly sorry to hear that you have mot received much support or information from your doctor. I would generally ignore a lot of Facebook or Internet information as much of it is inaccurate or taken out of context. I have found this forum really helpful. Information from people who have been living with diabetes or at risk of diabetes. They are always happy to listen and answer any questions you have. You are at the bottom of the scale doctors use to assess diabetes risk and this can be managed with changes to diet and exercise. You mentioned you have lost weight so if that was intended it will definitely help. You may need medication but see what your doctors say. The Diabetes UK learning zone also has lots of information which should help you understand the impact of raised blood sugars. Wishing you all the best.
Keep on keeping on lovely

On the face of it weight loss of 3 stone in 10 days is worrying, is that during the time you were taking insulin.
Have they considered you may be Type 1 with that sort of weight loss it would put up a red flag unless there is some other explanation.
Hope you get sorted soon am a complete newbie so sorry no advice to offer

Hi told on 22nd July I was pre diabetic 43moll , it means very little to me told online a few pounds I have read a lot on Facebook found this site this morning am going for repeat blood test next Tuesday at 10am I’ve lost 2 stone in weight almost I’m doing exercise probably not as much as I should but am hoping I am well on the way to reversing it , sadly the doctor wasn’t much help therefore I no very little and am kinda scared, glad to be part of a community
Welcome. It's brilliant that you've found yourself here whilst still pre-diabetic range. It gives you a chance to turn things around before you end up being diagnosed with T2.

I was prediabetic for 2 years before I tipped in T2. I wish to goodness I'd been in the headspace to tackle it then but, I can't change it so the best thing I can do is be in that headspace now. So, it's OK to feel scared about a result with the word diabetic in it but do lean on and learn from this lovely community so that you're next hba1c doesn't have the word diabetes (pre or otherwise attached) to it!

If you really did lose three stone in 10 days - I'd strongly advise you to contact your GP as that is just not normal at all.

Back