Neighbours mocking needle phobia

Status
Not open for further replies.
😱terrifying!! I would hate that too! I really am scared of everything :D

Can I add another - cotton wool. My late husband couldn't go to the dentist for ages bcause of a phobia developed from when he was a child and had those cotton wool ball-type things put into his mouth when he had fillings - he would literally start "gagging" and couldn't touch the stuff.

My present husband has a fear of birds, especially pigeons and it is sort of amusing to watch him avoiding the birds in public squares etc as he's over 6ft and not exactly small in build. That fear came about from his having to inspect a building (he was a surveyor) which had dead pigeons all over the place and every step he took he swidged one under his feet.

I'm bad at being a passenger in cars - but that could be because I've driven with some daft people and feared for my safety !

I read on the website about it because I thought they would want to know,

The staff at Go Ape are not medically qualified and so are not in a position to assess the capacity of participants to undertake a course. It remains your responsibility to undertake such an assessment prior to use of the course. We advise you to visit the course prior to booking to undertake your own risk assessment. You may also wish to contact your doctor for further advice.

So it seems they leave it up to the individual to make their own assessment as after all we do know ourselves best.

I did GoApe at Whinlatter forrest in Cumbria. Got a voucher for it as part of my first fathers day present and I loved it. It does take a while to complete the course, and some of it is physically demanding (mainly the walking and climbing to get to the swings and bridges) so keeping your hypo treatment handy would be a good idea, although you can leave the course at any time when you've completed the section you are on (think there were 5 sections with around 8 swings and bridges in each section)

I don't think I mentioned my diabetes to them on the day, but think my wife asked when she ordered it and they said it was fine.

NiVZ

Last edited:
My present husband has a fear of birds, especially pigeons and it is sort of amusing to watch him avoiding the birds in public squares etc

I too have a fear of birds, it comes from a few years ago i was about 19 and a duck attacked me, flew directly at the back of my head with it's wings flapping, I ran for my life and have been scared of them ever since.

I too have a fear of birds, it comes from a few years ago i was about 19 and a duck attacked me, flew directly at the back of my head with it's wings flapping, I ran for my life and have been scared of them ever since.

O o o o me to. Mine though is about birds indoors. You know if they swoop inside by mistake that absolutely terrifies me. One flew in to my office years ago and I stood on the nearest chair. Mmm silly move, my secretary swivel chair but I didn't fall off, just screamed and kept my eyes on the bird ! :D

One of our ducks - the large male Aylesbury - attacks me everytime I go into the garden, so that I have to wear wellington boots to protect my feet & shins. No phobia of him, just irritation that he can't do something useful like lay eggs and behave like the friendly female Muscovies.

Fascinating thread. I'm not afraid of heights at all, in fact I quite like them! But confined spaces - ooooooooooooh dear no!! And that includes, bizarrely, being in between 2 people, in my (narrow) kitchen, or on a sofa, or such like.

I had to have a MRI scan recently and I thought I would freak, but luckily only my head had to go in, don't think I could've coped with my whole body going into such a confined space. Okay, I'll be honest, there's every chance my whole body wouldn't have even FIT in that confined space, but that's another story..................... 🙄

xx

ps Neighbours, Northerner?? Really??? :D

Angles in high up spaces like stairwells - eek!! Go all dizzy...yuk! No so much the height as the darn angle - I also hate edges (cliff tops etc)...

Spiral staircases do me in! The ones you have to go up to get into towers etc...Can make me *totally* lose it. I get so disoriented and dizzy that I'm about ready to bite someone's head off to get out. Even after only a round or two, my husband 'knows' -- and will lead me to one of those archery windows so I can see out. Won't do tall ones anymore though...

Weirdly I get something very similar feeling in Ikea type places -- big spaces with no clear entrance or exit...I feel *enormously* panicky, and find myself squeezing my own hands to try to concentrate enough to find a way out...

Re Go Ape: thanks for that info. I'm pleased we weren't being *too* remiss. It was an important experience for him, to do it again after diagnosis. This was before the control of the pump, but of course he took hypo treatment etc, and my husband was with him. This did not prevent his sister and I standing underneath trying hard not to panic for him -- esp when he was alone on the platforms. Completely unfounded fears, of course...

Katie: I'm at one with you! I'm not actively actively afraid of heights, but I too get that funny feeling in my feet! I have never known anyone who has the same thing. It's like my feet might come off the ground, somehow, tingly, lose their grip...

And finally: go ape. E did this for the second time over Easter. When we arrived, we had a blind panic about his diabetes, afraid they wouldn't let him do it. So we did not reveal it to them on the form. Did you? And would they have let him do it or kick him off, does anyone know, if we had?

Oops I missed this. I assumed everyone got that funny feeling in their feet until recently when my brother looked at me funny when I mentioned it :D It is a strange feeling!

I didnt even really think about Diabetes when I went to go ape, just made sure I had glucose in my pocket in case I started to feel funny. I'm pretty sure I wrote type 1 diabetes on the form and that was it, no questions asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back