Negative for autoantibodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brukkstr

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,
Has anyone had any difficulties with treatment following a negative result for autoantibodies?

Following my initial BG test and being diagnosed as T1, I was setup with insulin treatment 3 weeks ago. I have been having weekly reviews to get my insulin doses right and help me along with talks of getting a libre monitor. Unfortunately there was a delay giving my bloods until 2 weeks ago.

These bloods came back negative last week for autoantibodies and my case needs to go to a consultation. My nurse assured me I am presenting as type 1 so should be treated as such but there seems to be further delays added now.

Just wondered if others have gone through similar really and how you got on?

Thanks

Hi @Brukkstr, I was initially diagnosed as T2 and my GAD test was inconclusive, most likely because it wasn’t done until quite a few years afterwards. Last year my GP referred me to the hospital diabetes team as I asked about how to better tweak my insulin regime. They very quickly changed my diagnosis to T1 (and got me onto the Libre) as that was how I was responding to carbs and insulin etc. So, I would say that if your nurse is saying you are presenting as T1 then they will consider you to be so regardless of the test results.

It’s still something that I periodically have to get my head around, and sometimes feel a bit of a fake and worry that I won’t get the appropriate care, but the reality is if your use of insulin and effect of carbs on your BG is typical of a T1 then that is what you are and therefore how they will treat you. Hopefully you’ll get your Libre which is a real game changer and will give you the opportunity to improve your HbA1c as well as having benefits of much less frequent finger pricking and getting alarms when you are going low or high.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Thanks @Eternal422, that takes a bit of the anxiety off so hopefully things will continue to progress after my next review.

taken from the "other" site

What will the GAD test results show?​

Presence of the GAD antibodies is observed in 75% of people with type 1 diabetes at diagnosis.

If the test shows GAD antibodies are present, this indicates that the patient has type 1 diabetes. If no GAD antibodies are present, however, the test cannot be conclusive in saying that the patient does not have type 1 diabetes.

🙂 hope this further puts your mind to rest x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back