Need advice..

Holly94

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
Hiya new here.
Type 1 since 2002
I'm due to get a pump on the nhs...I'm looking for some advice as to what pump I should choose...
I've had a tubed pump years ago but alots changed in technology since then! Any advice would be helpful.

Welcome @Holly94 🙂 I’ve been pumping for 20+ years and have had various different pumps. My current pump is the Dana i which is great😎 It’s loopable too.

But the first thing you need to do is find out what pumps are on offer at your clinic. My clinic offers 6 different pumps (the Dana i is the most popular of those) but some clinics only offer two or three, and some have no choice at all.

Welcome @Holly94 🙂 I’ve been pumping for 20+ years and have had various different pumps. My current pump is the Dana i which is great😎 It’s loopable too.

But the first thing you need to do is find out what pumps are on offer at your clinic. My clinic offers 6 different pumps (the Dana i is the most popular of those) but some clinics only offer two or three, and some have no choice at all.
Hello, I think the ones available to me are omnipod, medtronic, tandem and I can't remember what else. I'll ask again when I go for my bloods. I'm just looking for advice on the different ones and if the tubed or tubeless is better.
When I had one it was tubed and kept getting caught on everything..but with tubeless I hear things about it getting blocked and then releasing the insulin all at once

I’d go for tubed every time @Holly94 They’re better quality IMO and have a choice of cannulas so you can find what suits you rather than being stuck with one size fits all. I also don’t like the egg-likeness of patch pumps and I’d be knocking them all the time, as well as struggling to put them in places that don’t interfere with my clothes.

I just wear my pump in a Hid-in belt or bra bag. The tube is inside my clothes and I’ve never caught it on anything. The quality of the tubing matters. The Dana tubing is soft and kind of stays against my body.

Will you be looping with the pump?

At my last DSN appt there was talk of a pump and potentially HCL (my HbA1C is not high enough though - only 53, and the cut off is 58) - can you give me any insight as to whether this is better or not than MDI and your experiences - am interested to know?

I’d go for tubed every time @Holly94 They’re better quality IMO and have a choice of cannulas so you can find what suits you rather than being stuck with one size fits all. I also don’t like the egg-likeness of patch pumps and I’d be knocking them all the time, as well as struggling to put them in places that don’t interfere with my clothes.

I just wear my pump in a Hid-in belt or bra bag. The tube is inside my clothes and I’ve never caught it on anything. The quality of the tubing matters. The Dana tubing is soft and kind of stays against my body.

Will you be looping with the pump?
I was thinking the same with the tubeless pumps..if the stickiness is the same as my libre then it's a pain! Nearly hangs off after a week yes will be looping.

At my last DSN appt there was talk of a pump and potentially HCL (my HbA1C is not high enough though - only 53, and the cut off is 58) - can you give me any insight as to whether this is better or not than MDI and your experiences - am interested to know?
Imo the pump would be better working with a sensor as it works like your pancreas does, obviously you've got to put in food and Inject if needed but I still think it's easier than MDI. The fact it works with a sensor and gives insulin when needed puts my mind at ease hoping there won't be as many high readings! I've heard it changed peoples lives and made coping with diabetes abit easier. My HBA1c is estimated to be 72! And I can get low bloods during the night and sometimes no warning feelings..that's some of the reasons I'm being put on a pump.

I was thinking the same with the tubeless pumps..if the stickiness is the same as my libre then it's a pain! Nearly hangs off after a week yes will be looping.

Been Omnipod user for very long time & not had any issues with adhesion, always prep skin first before application by cleaning with surgical spirit or alcohol wipes then allow to dry.

Good luck with your chosen pump.

Been Omnipod user for very long time & not had any issues with adhesion, always prep skin first before application by cleaning with surgical spirit or alcohol wipes then allow to dry.

Good luck with your chosen pump.
Thanks! Have you had any issues with it? Any cons for the omnipod?

Switching from MDI to a pump took a bit of getting used to, but was well worth it. Since I can match my basal insulin hour by hour to what I need I found that I was able to remove virtually all night hypos. It also made my days more flexible as I can change the basal using temporary basal rates, for example if I decide to go for a walk, I could change the basal insulin an hour before (2 hours is better but …) and then go off.

Sensors then became available, and that improved things even more, as I was then able to head off hypos and hypers, as well as addressing post meal spikes by tweaking diet and portion size

Hello, I think the ones available to me are omnipod, medtronic, tandem and I can't remember what else. I'll ask again when I go for my bloods. I'm just looking for advice on the different ones and if the tubed or tubeless is better.
When I had one it was tubed and kept getting caught on everything..but with tubeless I hear things about it getting blocked and then releasing the insulin all at once
I use a Medtronic 780 in a closed loop and find it works brilliantly for me. Happy to answer any questions

Thanks! Have you had any issues with it? Any cons for the omnipod?

None really, controller can be difficult to read on bright sunny day, just same as mobile phone I suppose.

Like Omnipod as its tube free, but reading posts by other experienced pumpers like @SB2015 @Inka @helli really don't think tubing would be much of a issue anyway.

Switching from MDI to a pump took a bit of getting used to, but was well worth it. Since I can match my basal insulin hour by hour to what I need I found that I was able to remove virtually all night hypos. It also made my days more flexible as I can change the basal using temporary basal rates, for example if I decide to go for a walk, I could change the basal insulin an hour before (2 hours is better but …) and then go off.

Sensors then became available, and that improved things even more, as I was then able to head off hypos and hypers, as well as addressing post meal spikes by tweaking diet and portion size
The sensor changed my diabetes massively! Helped so much!
I've been watching videos on different pumps and have seen you can change basal if need to which will come in handy!

I use a Medtronic 780 in a closed loop and find it works brilliantly for me. Happy to answer any questions
I saw a video on that pump...the women did say it can pull trousers slightly I do also wonder how things like dresses are worn as I'm guessing it doesn't hang well on underwear?

None really, controller can be difficult to read on bright sunny day, just same as mobile phone I suppose.

Like Omnipod as its tube free, but reading posts by other experienced pumpers like @SB2015 @Inka @helli really don't think tubing would be much of a issue anyway.
Can it be controlled with your phone? And does the pod stick out quite abit?

I saw a video on that pump...the women did say it can pull trousers slightly I do also wonder how things like dresses are worn as I'm guessing it doesn't hang well on underwear?
If I am wearing dresses and they have a pocket, I make a small hole in the seam inside the pocket, and put the tubing through that and have the pump in my pocket. If there are no pockets I tuck my pump under the strap of my bra. When wearing trousers I can easily access the pump which I keep tucked under the side of my bra, or in a pouch that I hang from my bra.

I can put the cannulas wherever I want, so I tend to make sure that it is not just under the waistband of my trousers. If it is I put in a different pair of trousers.

If I am wearing dresses and they have a pocket, I make a small hole in the seam inside the pocket, and put the tubing through that and have the pump in my pocket. If there are no pockets I tuck my pump under the strap of my bra. When wearing trousers I can easily access the pump which I keep tucked under the side of my bra, or in a pouch that I hang from my bra.

I can put the cannulas wherever I want, so I tend to make sure that it is not just under the waistband of my trousers. If it is I put in a different pair of trousers.
I suppose that's a good idea with the tiny holes in dresses! Does the cannula still have to be just on your tummy?

I use a Hid-in belt round my waist @Holly94 If I’m wearing a tight dress, I often just put my pump in a Tubigrip on my thigh. No, you don’t have to put the cannula in your tummy. You can use your thigh or bum too.

I’ve been on the Omnipod Dash for almost a year now. Depending on what I’m doing the adhesive is brilliant. For me wearing the pod on the back of my arm works best. As of yet not caught it sufficiently hard enough to knock it off. When I say depends what you’re doing, if active you may have a problem. I placed in on my stomach/belly and twice when out running had an issue. First time it fell off completely. I had been running a while so was a sweaty mess. Similar on another run I noticed it was getting loose so walked home holding pod in place. Never had an issue with pods on either arm. Have to really pull to remove pods from my arms, they stick really well there for me. Much stronger than the Libre adhesive. I go to Aqua Fitness twice a week for an hour each time and never had an issue whether on tummy or arm.

Another thought is looping with Dash and Libre. I’ve been use the DIY Loop app since January. My control has continued to improve. My Diabetes team are fully aware. Initially a little sceptical. Now with my blood results further improved, they said I’m now one of the better controlled under their team they are increasingly supportive. Though DIY Looping is not for everyone.

I use a Hid-in belt round my waist @Holly94 If I’m wearing a tight dress, I often just put my pump in a Tubigrip on my thigh. No, you don’t have to put the cannula in your tummy. You can use your thigh or bum too.
In your bum? That's gotta be annoying when you sit? That's a good idea to do a belt!

Back