Naughty person

Dornfield

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi everyone.
So misspent youth of buns and chocolate has caught up with me, aged 58. Hopefully with the help of this forum I can put my T2D into remission. There is certainly a lot of online chatter I see about that, and I've started to read some of the supporting scientific literature (I'm a biochemistry/ molecular biologist by training/ occupation). I'm taking it far more seriously now having thought Metformin would allow me to ease into a monk-like existence.
What I'd like to learn is whether my adopted low calorie diet, meaning a proportional increase in some animal fats/ coconut oil, is doing horrible things to my other blood counts (triglycerides, LDL)? Still much to learn/ put into action.
No more buns, no more chocolate, and my two weeks in France in August is likely to be much lighter on croissants and baguettes than I'd have wanted.
Maybe just the odd croissant, you know, for 'good behaviour'.

Hi everyone.
So misspent youth of buns and chocolate has caught up with me, aged 58. Hopefully with the help of this forum I can put my T2D into remission. There is certainly a lot of online chatter I see about that, and I've started to read some of the supporting scientific literature (I'm a biochemistry/ molecular biologist by training/ occupation). I'm taking it far more seriously now having thought Metformin would allow me to ease into a monk-like existence.
What I'd like to learn is whether my adopted low calorie diet, meaning a proportional increase in some animal fats/ coconut oil, is doing horrible things to my other blood counts (triglycerides, LDL)? Still much to learn/ put into action.
No more buns, no more chocolate, and my two weeks in France in August is likely to be much lighter on croissants and baguettes than I'd have wanted.
Welcome to the forum.
Some people do find a low calorie regime works but many find concentration on carbohydrate intake is successful for them as it is all carbohydrates convert to glucose (as you must know from you biochemistry background) so to that end adopt a low carbohydrate regime.
It is still very possible to eat filling tasty meals just not loaded with carb but based on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, dairy, vegetables, salads and fruit like berries being the lowest carb.
Have a look at this link for some information and menu ideas https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/

Welcome to the forum.
Some people do find a low calorie regime works but many find concentration on carbohydrate intake is successful for them as it is all carbohydrates convert to glucose (as you must know from you biochemistry background) so to that end adopt a low carbohydrate regime.
It is still very possible to eat filling tasty meals just not loaded with carb but based on meat, fish, eggs, cheese, nuts, dairy, vegetables, salads and fruit like berries being the lowest carb.
Have a look at this link for some information and menu ideas https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/
Yup. I meant 'low carb', not 'low calorie'!

Hi everyone.
The odd croissant.........mini one is11g carb, larger is 22g, normal pain au Chocolat is 29g, and half a baguette is 48g sans filling.......food for thought......pun intended. !!!!! Taken from carb and Calorie counter, a very useful book. That's said, cheese and lots of lovely salads and fish. The French have beautiful vegetables in the supermarkets but somehow they don't seem to get on restaurant plates, unless you are self catering

Welcome to the forum
if concerned about cholesterol, just concentrate on unsaturated fats, and minimise the saturated ones.

I went hard on reducing saturated fats while averaging approx 100 g carbs a day and took my total cholesterol from 7.7 to 4.4 mmol/L in 6 months https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/cholesterol-hba1c-egfr-results.113298/

Welcome to the forum @Dornfield

I think the old adage of everything in moderation (except laughter) probably holds true.

Too little of anything, or too much of anything seems to come loaded with unwelcome effects.

Hope you can find a balance that your metabolism, weight, lipids, and glucose levels are happy with 🙂

Artisan croissants, ie properly made ones using butter rather than the more cheaply made and priced ones bought in bags of 10 from the nearest supermarket chain - are very acceptable since the fat content of em balances out the carb. Pains au chocolat sadly are not usually so OK even though the chocolat content is usually excellent and never crap milk choc - always the dark variety, yum. Eating out - well the good thing is 99% of meat and/or fish dishes are automatically served with salad garnish and you can always ask if pommes vapeur (steamed in French, but = plain boiled spuds) are on offer even when not specified on the menu - very often are, if you but ask!) However I defy anyone to enjoy a plate of moules (mariniere or au creme let alone au curry) without about a third of a baguette to mop up the juice. Je suis desolee; ce n'est pas possible, mes amis!!

Welcome to the forum

if concerned about cholesterol, just concentrate on unsaturated fats, and minimise the saturated ones.

I went hard on reducing saturated fats while averaging approx 100 g carbs a day and took my total cholesterol from 7.7 to 4.4 mmol/L in 6 months https://forum.diabetes.org.uk/boards/threads/cholesterol-hba1c-egfr-results.113298/
On a contrary note I lowered my cholesterol levels from over 7. to just over 5 by lowering carbs and upping fat in my diet
Carol

On a contrary note I lowered my cholesterol levels from over 7. to just over 5 by lowering carbs and upping fat in my diet
Carol
Both carbs and saturated fats can increase cholesterol, I just reduced both, and concentrated on eating unsaturated fats
🙂

Back