My silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
but more because I am curious and want to dispel an out dated myth if that's possible.

When someone has to go onto insulin, are you still taught to inject into an orange first? I was told this yonks and ages ago, and quite a few have gone on to insulin, so I just wondered.

Not an orange in sight when I went in to see nursey for the first time! Which was Nov 08.

Thanks Rossi, I was told that little tit bit a long time ago and I know things change.

Not me either. Insulin, needle, jab

I was diagnosed in June 1999 and no oranges were involved. DSN talked me through doing in it my stomach

Nope. Did it straight into my arm when I came off the big alarming sliding scale plunger thing.

Haha! I was on one of those and had to wheel it about with me whe I went walkabout! 😱

No orange for me, just the DSN watching me do my first injection then showing me how to change cartidges in the pens.

I know! I was desperate to go to the loo at one point, but I didn't want to ask if I could move the thing! Also if I moved even half an inch, it had this huge wailing alarm that went off. I remember them saying they were going to bring me this thing that would hold my arm steady so it didn't go off. It never did turn up! 😱

When I started on insulin back in October 09 the DSN showed me how to inject with a funny little rubber toy.

I was then given an insulin pen without a cartridge in it and asked to try doing a mock injection (ie.pinching up the fat on my stomach and inserting the needle but not pressing the button to inject like you normally would do).

12 March 2007
We were taught to do it into an orange. But the DSN had a rubber duck too. No, I shouldn't say we, as they only taught me!!! I ended up sticking a syringe into my leg at the hospital too. My hubby was too scared to try though. It took another 2/12 years before C injected herself.

12 March 2007
We were taught to do it into an orange. But the DSN had a rubber duck too. No, I shouldn't say we, as they only taught me!!! I ended up sticking a syringe into my leg at the hospital too. My hubby was too scared to try though. It took another 2/12 years before C injected herself.

I guess it is a whole different ball game injecting someone else. If you have to do for the benefit of some one you love, then you learn.

I guess it is a whole different ball game injecting someone else. If you have to do for the benefit of some one you love, then you learn.

Absolutely!! I cried buckets the first time I injected C, but I was also immensely proud of myself, because I never thought I could do it. After sticking the syringe into my own leg, I didn't find it impossible to do it anymore.

Absolutely!! I cried buckets the first time I injected C, but I was also immensely proud of myself, because I never thought I could do it. After sticking the syringe into my own leg, I didn't find it impossible to do it anymore.

My big boy will be 24 this year and is healthy. I hated taking him for injections because I knew it would hurt and it was him hurting and not me. The rubella is now given in two jabs, but he was one who had just the one. I am glad he'd had it as big boy got rubella. Had he not had the jab it would have been far worse!

We do all kinds of things for people we love and care about that we couldn't ordinarily do.

Way back in October 1987 when I was diagnosed, the first injection I did myself was on me, No oranges anywhere.

When I was diagnosed in 1996 as a rather small child I didn't see any oranges anywhere and a year or two later I learned to do things for myself. Without having to be held down!

Straight into me with the hospital nurse/mother/partner watching anxiously!

No oranges were hurt in the practice of injecting!

A drugs rep brought a foam toy dog (keyring size) round the other week for us to teach people to inject with. But he said he found sandbags (of the sort most of us use to postion animals for x-rays) better because you can 'lift' the cover like you do with skin.

But I learned straight into my tummy. With modern insulin pens, you don't have to 'draw back' to make sure you're not in a capillary, so it's 'put it in, press the button' which i guess isn't as complex to teach?

Hi Caroline,

just to say that when I did my Nurse training in the early 70's we were taught to inject into an orange before we were let loose on real people, lol! Apparently the orange hd a similar feel to injecting into flesh, or at least that was what we were told!

Things have obviously moved on since then, shirl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back