my new healthy diet, or is it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest having a look at quorn mince too, instead of minced beef. You can find it in the frozen section.

I tend to use it in home-made chilli and make up a huge amount, eat some of it and freeze the rest in meal sized portions (350g of quorn will do me for 5 meals in all). I also tend not to have it just with rice, but with also plenty of veg.

I surprised myself when I used it for the first time recently. I wasn't expecting to like it at all, but it turned out pretty well. But, I suspect that it is a bit like cous cous in that it has no flavour of its own and so needs to be made exciting with some nice strong spices etc.

I'm impressed with your weight loss so far though! Great stuff! 🙂

Andy

thanks andy. i have never had quorn mince before, i like the sound of your homemade chilli, is it complicated to make an would you have it with some rice?

Hi Tracey ...

I can so understand that .. Nathan was exactly the same .. especially as he has a sweet tooth .. a tip that I use with Nathan when he wants some chocolate .. is to but dark chocolate . the higher the cocoa content the better .. pop it in the freezer .. and just have a couple of squares .. it seems to just take the craving away .. and satisfies the urge for chocolate..

Heidi
xx🙂

hi heidi, that is a realy great idea thanks very much. ill be doing that for sure 🙂

So hows the diet been today then tracey? all good I hope :D Ive been bad and aint eaten all day 😱,not much of an appetite these days!! goin to try something tho im starving now 🙄

hey traceycat,
about easter, I wouldn't just try and not eat ANY chocolate, because if you starve yourself of things you like, you'll just end up purging (sp? I think that's the right word 😛) at a later stage and then you'll feel really bad. Remember a taste is as good as a feast 😉
I suppose though you could try and not eat any all easter sunday and then save a small amount straight before you go to bed, so you've had some but you won't be up to go and get any more, if that makes sense. If you're just diet controlled, some diabetic chocolate from thorntons would be good, but it's got sorbitol in it so i wouldn't eat too much 😛
xx

You're better with 70% chocolate. I wouldn't touch diabetic stuff with a barge pole. It's just encouraging them to keep making it...

Is that because of the sorbitol in it? I don't bother with it, but I used to have it when I was younger

Is that because of the sorbitol in it? I don't bother with it, but I used to have it when I was younger

Mostly. Gives me horrid wind. But also if you buy it, it facilitates the idea that manufacturers have that 'diabetic' food is required. And because it's there, people who aren't educated about the fact that we don't need 'special' foods think that they should buy it, and get misinformed ideas. It's a bit of a cycle 🙄

I'm hoping to find a Green & Black's Maya Gold easter egg to treat myself to. MMmm love that chocolate.

So hows the diet been today then tracey? all good I hope :D Ive been bad and aint eaten all day 😱,not much of an appetite these days!! goin to try something tho im starving now 🙄

everything went well yesterday (i think)
breakfast i had boilded egg an toast with just a little low fat spread
snack i had a plum
come lunchtime i wasnt feeling very hungary cause i had an upset tummy with just starting my first metformin tablet so i just had a bowl of weightwatchers soup without bread, had an apple afterwards.
had a bag of tayto advantage crisps around 4pm cause i felt realy hungary
and for tea i just had a veg an chicken stir fry.
my levels before lunch were 9.4 and 2hrs later they were 8 so dont know if its what i was eating or if it was the metformin lowering them.
how you feeling now? did you try and have something to eat? xxx

thanks andy. i have never had quorn mince before, i like the sound of your homemade chilli, is it complicated to make an would you have it with some rice?

I don't think that it is too complicated. The following is not an exact recipe (I don't measure things, it is usually by eye and knowledge of what works!) :-

1 tablespoon of olive oil (extra virgin).
1 onion
1 or 2 cloves of garlic (or more if you like it!)
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 420g tin of red kidney beans in water
1 green pepper
300 - 350g quorn mince (depends on the packet size)
2 oxo cubes
2 or 3 teaspoons mild chilli powder
1, 2 or 3 teaspoons hot chilli powder
2 or 3 teaspoons of caraway seed
A squeeze of tomato paste
100ml boiled water (approx!)

1) Prepare the spices. Crush the oxo cubes and add the chilli powder and caraway seed into a dish (you can just add them directly to the frying pan later, but I find it easier to do it this way). The quantity of chilli powder used depends on how you like your chilli.
2) Dice onion and sliced garlic into the heated olive oil in a frying pan. Cook until onion has softened (just a couple of minutes).
3) Add the quorn (directly from frozen) and the chopped tomatoes and the water.
4) Add the spices and squeeze of tomato paste.
5) Drain and rinse the red kidney beans and add to the pan.
6) Add a diced green pepper to the pan.
7) Stir occassionally and cook on a medium/low heat for atleast 30mins until any liquid has been absorbed.

I do have it with rice (basmati). But only a really small quantity of rice, perhaps 2 or 3 level tablespoons worth (visually the equivalent of 3 - 4 small new potatoes when cooked). The rest of the meal is bulked out with veg.

p.s. I've just remembered one thing. I haven't done it with my quorn chilli yet, but with my beef mince chilli I usually add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to the chilli and cook a few minutes before serving!

Last edited:
I don't think that it is too complicated. The following is not an exact recipe (I don't measure things, it is usually by eye and knowledge of what works!) :-

1 tablespoon of olive oil (extra virgin).
1 onion
1 or 2 cloves of garlic (or more if you like it!)
1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 420g tin of red kidney beans in water
1 green pepper
300 - 350g quorn mince (depends on the packet size)
2 oxo cubes
2 or 3 teaspoons mild chilli powder
1, 2 or 3 teaspoons hot chilli powder
2 or 3 teaspoons of caraway seed
A squeeze of tomato paste
100ml boiled water (approx!)

1) Prepare the spices. Crush the oxo cubes and add the chilli powder and caraway seed into a dish (you can just add them directly to the frying pan later, but I find it easier to do it this way). The quantity of chilli powder used depends on how you like your chilli.
2) Dice onion and sliced garlic into the heated olive oil in a frying pan. Cook until onion has softened (just a couple of minutes).
3) Add the quorn (directly from frozen) and the chopped tomatoes and the water.
4) Add the spices and squeeze of tomato paste.
5) Drain and rinse the red kidney beans and add to the pan.
6) Add a diced green pepper to the pan.
7) Stir occassionally and cook on a medium/low heat for atleast 30mins until any liquid has been absorbed.

I do have it with rice (basmati). But only a really small quantity of rice, perhaps 2 or 3 level tablespoons worth (visually the equivalent of 3 - 4 small new potatoes when cooked). The rest of the meal is bulked out with veg.

p.s. I've just remembered one thing. I haven't done it with my quorn chilli yet, but with my beef mince chilli I usually add a teaspoon of cocoa powder to the chilli and cook a few minutes before serving!

thanks very much for that andy, i realy appreciate you taking the time to write it all out for me. i will give it a try for sure. i will skip the kidney beans though, i dont like them. xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back