My MP and There is no such thing as a Diabetic diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny105

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
My MP visited Diabetes UK conference before Xmas 2022. She was very interested . She took up something I wrote to her and took up an idea with the Health Ministry. However it seems a lot of ideas are scuppered by the words ' there is no such thing aas a Dibetic Diet.
An aquaintence has Type 2 . He has come across a useful source of food which is now no more because it was labelled Diabetic Friendly. He and his wife, like me is becoming annoyed at having to items, upside down , fold it back then endeavour to read the label. We both feel like not bothering anymore.

My MP visited Diabetes UK conference before Xmas 2022. She was very interested . She took up something I wrote to her and took up an idea with the Health Ministry. However it seems a lot of ideas are scuppered by the words ' there is no such thing aas a Dibetic Diet.
An aquaintence has Type 2 . He has come across a useful source of food which is now no more because it was labelled Diabetic Friendly. He and his wife, like me is becoming annoyed at having to items, upside down , fold it back then endeavour to read the label. We both feel like not bothering anymore.
Sorry to hear about your frustration but actually it's correct that there is no such thing as a "diabetic diet". In fact the Diabetes UK webpage about diet says as much:-

I also get tired of checking the nutrition panel on items, and more often than not putting the item back on the shelf, (who doesn't?) The groceries pages of supermarket websites show nutrition information exactly as it appears on the packaging and is much easier to read, with the added advantage that it includes this for loose product too.

It's been the case for some years that labelling food as suitable for diabetics, or diabetic friendly, is no longer allowed so that might explain why your acquaintance can't find it any more.

He and his wife, like me is becoming annoyed at having to items, upside down , fold it back then endeavour to read the label. We both feel like not bothering anymore.
...It's the only thing you can be sure of by reading the labels unfortunately...I actually enjoy reading the labels - especially when I then chuckle when I find out it's not that good for me after all, then promptly place it back on the shelf!

...I've observed the lunchtime sandwich sections and many people doing exactly what I do...read the label!

It's like when a packet says 'High in Protein' or 'High in Fibre'- what's that in relation to? - how high is it etc etc... - it's all marketing to seduce you to buy now...

i'll keep reading the label on the back..no matter how much my eyes squint trying to read it!

We all get frustrated about having to read the tiny print on the back or side of food labels but surely you must have realised by now that diabetes is very individual and much more complicated than simply cutting down on sugar and replacing it with artificial sweetener which is what most of those "Diabetic Friendly" products did. Added to that most of those manufactured products then have lots of other artificial ingredients/additives which could make them less good for you than a small amount of the normal version. People will often eat more of a "diabetic" food simply because they think it is OK for them to eat it. The manufacturer makes a nice fat profit selling something that is probably not good for people in the long run and may not even be diabetic friendly anyway, because they have just cut down on the sugar but not other carbs and they will usually charge a marked up price for a product that may even be cheaper to make.

Certainly those of us who are insulin dependent would still have to scour labels for total carb content and of course those people can actually eat the full sugar/high carb products and just inject insulin to cover them, so calling something Diabetic Friendly is nonsensical. Added to that, well meaning relatives are often conned into buying what they think are "Diabetic" treats for their loved ones, when in reality they may not be diabetic friends or a treat because it is the total carb content and not just the sugar, and the manufacturer is making a quick buck out of the marketing of them.

I would certainly appreciate the carb content of foods being clearly marked on the front of the packaging in larger lettering than the usual tiny print in the nutritional info box that you have to try to find on the back or side, and to be honest I would be happy if they did away with the traffic light info on the front altogether and just gave the total carbs, as I personally think the traffic light system is flawed in lots of respects... but that is another issue. I would certainly not support a move to label foods "Diabetic Friendly" and how anyone would agree on the parameters for such labelling is beyond my comprehension. The NHS can't even agree on a suitable diet for diabetics let alone parliament or the food industry, buy you can bet your pension that the food industry would find a way to profiteer from it.

The basic problem is that there is no such thing as 'a diabetic'.
We are all different in that there are foods which affect some more than others, some have medication which would make my diet downright dangerous but it put me back into normal numbers very quickly.
I used to work in the food industry, and all that really matters is the profit.

We both feel like not bothering anymore.

Sorry to hear you are feeling so frustrated and almost don’t want to bother any more @Jenny105 :(

I suppose the other option is simply not to worry so much about the nutritional info panels, and just use a BG meter to check how you respond to the food instead?

Are there particular things you are checking labels and fine print for? Fat and salt content will probably be shown on the traffic light labelling, much larger on the front?

My MP was very keen to avoid people having to look on the back of packets and for someone to change the labels to better alert diabetics, people seeking to diet, folk wanting to eat healthily.
BUT also to alert the nation to reduced sugar items ; lower fat; fibre - the things we should all as a nation be alerted to.
In the past 2yrs Ive re realised how diabolical most of our is.
Like climate change 30yrs ago, the signs, the beliefs, the theories were all pooh poohed ;
Sorry I'm not able to express in words what Im trying to say but we are being hoodwinked by manufacturers about foods just as the energy producers did 30yrs ago.

We are all different in that there are foods which affect some more than others, some have medication which would make my diet downright dangerous but it put me back into normal numbers very quickly.
@Drummer Hi, Im not asking for a ''diabetic '' diet . But a better way to alert to ingredients on the FRONT of foods, all foods. My MP wanted the same . Sorry I have a brain that thinks far further than most. My MP thought the same and wrote to the Health Dept .

@Drummer Thats is what I'm trying to say. Theres so much more that manufacturers could do , but dont because it means sourcing other more expensive ingredients. 30yrs ago so much more could have been done about climate change but the energy producers stalled our belief. Now time is short and we are still not doing enough. We are not doing enough about food . Vegans did it , why cant general eaters do it.

Sadly the obsession with Calories means that they are listed on the front of food packs rather than the more useful and scientific Carbs.

When so very many people are so utterly skint the main thing they want to see is the price, I'm really not certain anyone CAN actually prevent people eating crap. Many haven't even tasted better (hence more expensive) cuts of meat or even imagined cooking or eating fish at home or without batter on it - and 'oily' fish ain't OMO white anyway so they'd turn their noses up at it! I know that applies to most of our own grandchildren, some of whom are adults and whose mum still is a professional chef so certainly tried to feed em with whatever. Other daughters kids dislike high meat content sausage cos they were brought up on Richmond sausage, simply because it's cheaper and their (single) mum has always struggled for money and when you have to feed yourself and 3 or 4 kids and their dog every day .......

Total carbs per portion on the front rather than just sugar content would be very helpful. @trophywench don’t get me started on Richmond sausages, my hubby loves them, on the odd occasion I have had them they reap eat on me for hours.

They used to be perfectly OK - when OH #2 and I got together (in 1998) they were both of our 'go to' sausages then some time after that, they deteriorated and started causing me violent heartburn every time we had them so I swapped, and at the time not much difference in price. One day last year we said, Let's see what they're like now - and Oh yuck! o_O

My wife would never buy anything but Richmond but after trying some sausages from our local butcher I would never go back to Richmond. Our two boys prefer the butcher's sausages too.

Total carbs per portion on the front rather than just sugar content would be very helpful. @trophywench don’t get me started on Richmond sausages, my hubby loves them, on the odd occasion I have had them they reap eat on me for hours.
@Grannylorraine. My point and my MPs point exactly, PLUS sugar is a cheap ingredient ,with taste, We are allowing companies to fill their items with it. Vegans have done a marvellous job on educating the public on their products. Where are the heroes producing foods with far less sugar. Something to substitute it as a filler would be expensive but as it takes off the price would lower (market forces). Where are the heroes making us all aware of the terrors of sugar (not just in diabetes)

I have a feeling that in 10years time, the consumption of all these highly manufactured vegetarian products will be an issue for people's health too so I am not sure that they are necessarily a good example. To me, the best we can do for ourselves is to cook from scratch as much as possible and stop buying these industrially produced foods.

I’m not a fan of reducing sugar. It’s usually replaced with artificial sweeteners. In addition, the misguided sugar tax has messed up things like Lucozade and other hypo treatments. It doesn’t work. I’ve seen families push round a trolley with 6 two litre bottles of sugar-free fizzy drinks, piles of processed foods and not a vegetable in sight.

I have a feeling that in 10years time, the consumption of all these highly manufactured vegetarian products will be an issue for people's health too so I am not sure that they are necessarily a good example. To me, the best we can do for ourselves is to cook from scratch as much as possible and stop buying these industrially produced foods.
I agree. Many of these plant-based substitutes are classified as UPFs, having undergone heavy processing to improve their perishability and taste. Consequently they are often high in salt, sugar and saturated fat, with additional colourings, preservatives and additives.

As someone who primarily eats a vegetarian diet, I put these convenient meat alternatives in a similar category to processed meat. However, my SIL was looking at the nutritional contents of my veggie sausages and commented that they are lower salt and lower fat than the meat sausages she usually buys for her family. So, I am not convinced they will fe gone in 10 years. Richmond sausages have been around for longer already.
Eating these processed vegetarian foods should be eaten in a similar way to processed meat. However, my gut feel is that they are eaten less often.
.I known we are a small sample but when I am away, my meat eating partner will put prepared chicken Kyevs and chips in the oven whereas, when he is away, I stir frya large bowl of veggies. Most people who consciously eat a diet are more aware of the ingredients than those who eat anything.
In other words, if you are going to discuss UP veggie foods, please do so in context of all UPFs. You are likely to find the veggie ones are not as high in salt sugar and saturated fat as you think.

In other words, if you are going to discuss UP veggie foods, please do so in context of all UPFs. You are likely to find the veggie ones are not as high in salt sugar and saturated fat as you think.
I was quoting from an article I read recently. Take a look:-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back