My first "hypo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with @Inka that your Lantus is likely having to do the work of basal and bolus ie cover the food you eat as well as your liver output, so the dose is likely higher than you actually need for just your basal needs, which means you might end up with more insulin in your system at some times of the day than you need and less at others. It is not ideal, but it depends on how you feel about adding in another 3 injections a day which definitely does complicate things, especially when you need to carb count and adjust your own doses, although you will likely eventually need to embrace that reality anyway, so sometimes starting that sooner gives you a chance of learning the ropes whilst still on very low doses.
I can kind of see both sides of the coin. I started on both straight away and I was happy with that. How do you feel about introducing bolus insulin and calculating carbs and adjusting your doses for each meal. Have you given this any thought? Have you started learning about counting carbs in the food you eat in preparation for starting meal time insulin?

@rebrascora Benjamin might not even need bolus insulin for every meal. It just irks and worries me a lot when they do this to adults with Type 1. It always causes issues - because basal insulin isn’t supposed to be used like that. I think there’s this obsession with ‘less injections is better’ but actually particularly when you only need small amounts, it’s not.

I know you might agree with me - I’m just having a bit of a rant!

@Inka Yes, I agree with you and in some respects I worry that it lures people into a false sense of diabetes reality and then when they come to have to introduce bolus insulin, they may well get more hypos because the basal dose is too high (because it was covering both... and no one thought to reduce it) and that can be an extra stress on top of having to come to terms with meal time insulin and dose adjustment.
I couldn't care less about how many injections I have a day and it is often 8 or 9, but there is a lot of extra head space involved with those extra meal time injections, it isn't just the physical act of injecting but the assessing carbs and calculating doses that can be challenging for someone who has just been on a once a day basal dose (set by a nurse) for several months. However, sooner or later that is going to become the new reality and for me, like yourself, sooner seems to be the better option. I do however think it comes down to the mentality of the patient and whether they are keen to take he reins and manage their diabetes themselves or let someone else take the responsibility and rely on others to set doses and make the decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back