my first appointment with nurse today realy shocked me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told by both nurse and dietician to avoid white long grain rice and eat Basmati or wholegrain rice. Anyone else got any info on this? :confused:

Basmati rice is lower GI than ordinary long grain rice - basmati is 58 and white rice 87. It also has a longer grain 🙂

Its the type of rice but also how it's cooked and it's not totally straightforward.
An Uncle Bens Jasmine rice pouch has a fairly low gi, jasmine rice cooked in a rice cooker has a gi higher than glucose.

The glycemic index data base for rice has many records.

The lowest gis are for certain rices from Bangladesh, a Sainsburys Basmati(I don't think there are anyother 'own brands'from UK on the data base) , some brown rices and some of the Uncle Bens precooked pouches of mixed grains produced in the US.( perhaps because the method of processing causes some of the carb to become resistant?). These have gis of less than 50.
This one : Long grain rice quick-cooking variety, white, pre-cooked, microwaved 2 min (Express Rice, plain, Uncle Ben's, Masterfoods, UK) has a gi 52
Rices like Arborio (short grain used for risotto ) have gis of around 69 but so does Sainsburys easycook basmati.

Rice(even Basmati or wholegrain) cooked for a long time, or cooked in a lot of water can have a gi in the 70s or higher
The highest gis at over 100 are for Jasmine (long grain) rice cooked in a rice cooker and an unnamed boiled white rice.

The moral is choose Basmati or wholegrain or a mixture (I like one with basmati, brown and wild but don't use a precooked variety), cook it in the minimum of water, don't cook it to death! test the results on yourself. (if you have the strips)

Last edited:
well i has my first appointment with the nurse toay. she told me im defantly type 2 but also my cholestorol and blood pressure are both high aswel, i have to go back to see her tomorrow to get my blood pressure checked again an get put on tablets for my cholestorol. shes also going to speak to the doctor this evening about being put on tablets for my diabetes as they didnt write anything down about it an she thinks i should be on metaform or something i think she said. she was brilliant in explaining things to me but im still so confuzed about everything an have no idea what im supossed to eat. im also very scared that im going to have a heart attack or stroke, been crying all day an getting myself all worked up. also was told last week that i have b12 defecancy an have to have injections for the rest of my life. sorry for the rant, just needed to get it of my chest. xxx

i thought ther was something on Balance magazine that all diabetic have B12 deficiency this is why you became diabetic and they were suggesting to take this supplement do i recall wrong??

i thought ther was something on Balance magazine that all diabetic have B12 deficiency this is why you became diabetic and they were suggesting to take this supplement do i recall wrong??

There is a possibility that metformin may cause a B12 deficiency in some people, I believe but not sure of details.

Its the type of rice but also how it's cooked and it's not totally straightforward.
An Uncle Bens Jasmine rice pouch has a fairly low gi, jasmine rice cooked in a rice cooker has a gi higher than glucose.

The glycemic index data base for rice has many records.

The lowest gis are for certain rices from Bangladesh, a Sainsburys Basmati(I don't think there are anyother 'own brands'from UK on the data base) , some brown rices and some of the Uncle Bens precooked pouches of mixed grains produced in the US.( perhaps because the method of processing causes some of the carb to become resistant?). These have gis of less than 50.
This one : Long grain rice quick-cooking variety, white, pre-cooked, microwaved 2 min (Express Rice, plain, Uncle Ben's, Masterfoods, UK) has a gi 52
Rices like Arborio (short grain used for risotto ) have gis of around 69 but so does Sainsburys easycook basmati.

Rice(even Basmati or wholegrain) cooked for a long time, or cooked in a lot of water can have a gi in the 70s or higher
The highest gis at over 100 are for Jasmine (long grain) rice cooked in a rice cooker and an unnamed boiled white rice.

The moral is choose Basmati or wholegrain or a mixture (I like one with basmati, brown and wild but don't use a precooked variety), cook it in the minimum of water, don't cook it to death! test the results on yourself. (if you have the strips)

Thanks Helen for that info... obviously gone are the days when rice was well just rice 🙄 :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back