My doctor is a muppet

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did she say? Or are you still waiting on an answer.

I'm not sure that that PIP code isn't just the same as the boring grey ones I have now.

something about she's going to ring him, something about saying i need that many while my sugars are coming under control etc etc. And then she suggested bizaarely that I keep using my onetouch instead of the new meter..........

I will be going to see him on tuesday morning and I will be giving him what for, I swear.

i go out to pick up son and i come back theres a new thread with already 20 replies ...i wonder what it could be....um problem with scripts again! why cant these people realise that this is IMPORTANT !!! they do it all the time! It is their job why cant they get it right ! also receptionists have no medical training so how come they are allowed so much power and are even allowed to pass an opinion in medical matter... also what about confidentially? have you given your GP permission to discuss your strip requirements with the receptionist ....ok rant over
Steff your crab and mash totally cracked me up tho !

It's utterly disgusting. And I hope he is prepared for an argument from me. If not well then I'll change doctors yet AGAIN. I'm sorry but I am fed up to the back teeth of being treated like a second class citizen because I have diabetes. It's not a difficult thing to do really is it - realise that "oh hai, she's a T1 and needs 200 or more at a go" *headdesk* i am actually still shaking in anger at the moment. It's unbelievable.

I'd rather go private instead of relying on the good old NHS any more

I'll also be submitting a formal complaint too

I can't believe the trouble you have in getting your test strips, mind you I only get a 100 at a time but have no problems getting them.. I have a great GP and I am sure if I asked her to up my script she would..

steph love the analogy, excellent.

I can't believe the trouble you have in getting your test strips, mind you I only get a 100 at a time but have no problems getting them.. I have a great GP and I am sure if I asked her to up my script she would..

steph love the analogy, excellent.

2 people have said it now but whats an analogy lol.

2 people have said it now but whats an analogy lol.

The likening of one thing to another even if the other is unlike the first thing, ... so likening the fish and chips to crab and mash.. does that make sense

I think part of the problem is down to comparing patients and expecting them to be equal. I am guessing that most if not all of the other diabetic patients on your GPs books use considerably less strips, makes you stand out. I have come across a lot of Drs nurses who think that a couple of tests a day is sufficient - hence you not needing so many strips.

However, they need to consider the patient and whether their condition is stable. I read somewhere that the testing level should be agreed between the patient and the health professional. As you are trying to get things under control and the DSN has agreed this level of testing with you the GP should defer to them

Thank you both and yes squidge im with you x

I think part of the problem is down to comparing patients and expecting them to be equal. I am guessing that most if not all of the other diabetic patients on your GPs books use considerably less strips, makes you stand out. I have come across a lot of Drs nurses who think that a couple of tests a day is sufficient - hence you not needing so many strips.

However, they need to consider the patient and whether their condition is stable. I read somewhere that the testing level should be agreed between the patient and the health professional. As you are trying to get things under control and the DSN has agreed this level of testing with you the GP should defer to them

The reason I have been refused is because I am only one of two type 1 diabetics in the surgery. My surgery has this thing wherethey only prescribe 50 strips p/m to T2's (which personally is awful, you should be treated the same as us).

As soon as I walk in that door on tuesday he will know who I am. I'm there enough after all. He knows the reasons why I test a lot (nueropathy, changing insulins etc). And I hope to GOD he is prepared for the consequences of messing me around because it will NOT be pretty.

We had the same problem with our GP ,my daughetr is T1 unstable and on a pump.We have had several phone calls saying "there is a perscription limit" (that was for T2 i discovered!!!)
"she will rebel when she is a teenager " and "Are all those tests necessary?",couldn't you just get her to test X4 a day.

The surgery even contacted the DSN to check we weren't abusing the system.
Luckily the very switched on DSN gave them short shift and got the consultant to fax a letter.

What is it with Dr's receptionists?!

I wonder if all the changes in your prescription, lancet, strips, insulin your GP wants to work out what is going on and so wants to see you to sort it out. Hopefully you can come to an understanding.

The thing is some receptionists think they are medically qualified to handle repeat prescription requests.

I'm lucky that at my surgery the receptionist is one who does not judge. She simply adds the request to the repeat and gives the request and the script to the doctor to sign. If the doctor disagrees with the request the doctor will phone to find out more or discuss an alternative.

Can I suggest that when you see the doc ask for 200 strips and a month's worth of other supplies to be put on the repeat?

my mother has just shouted at me down the phone saying i test too much, that i should only be testing 4 times a day. that when i was living at home i tested 4 times a day and never had a hypo or hyper. No, you didn't know how to look after it.

I am so upset. I have tears steaming down my face, i hate this. i thought talking to her about it would make me feel less angry. turns out she has made me even more angry.

The thing is some receptionists think they are medically qualified to handle repeat prescription requests.

I'm lucky that at my surgery the receptionist is one who does not judge. She simply adds the request to the repeat and gives the request and the script to the doctor to sign. If the doctor disagrees with the request the doctor will phone to find out more or discuss an alternative.

Can I suggest that when you see the doc ask for 200 strips and a month's worth of other supplies to be put on the repeat?

That's good to hear! The truth is that most times it is not the doctor or receptionist that questions repeat prescriptions, but the practise manager. As they are working to tight budgets, it is inevitable that they query prescription requests from time to time. Some patients do ask for repeat of medications and insulin without really needing them, these flash up on the system that patients are over -requesting items.

It is different for test strips, as some test 1-2 times daily, others 6-8, so they take this figure over a average, but surgeries should understand this is a personal matter, and testing is a individual choice, and type 1's using insulin need to test when they feel the need, due to the incresed risk of hypo's.
It is unfortunate that folk that request items when not needed and stockpile them, only to later throw away, spoils it for the majority. I can't see a issue with getting 200 strips a month, that is what I use.

Ok, i'm reply to this thread and it kinda goes with what a said on the other. 200 strips a month shouldn't be unreasonable. Once (and i was newly diagnosed, jelous and stupid alright? I know better now) I quiried a 100 strip request for a hospital inpatient with a pharmacist. Bless him, he explained that the patient did test 8 times a day and that two packs of strips would only last her a couple of weeks, when we would expect her to be able to get more from her local chemists.
It's not just testing, it's all the calibration, and the ones you waste coz you haven't got quite enough blood out of your finger (or maybe that's just me...).

To be honest, i think muppet is a rather too flattering term for your doctor, i'm quite fond of the Muppets...especially Fozzie.

Rachel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back