My blood pressure is dreadful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Ellowyne 🙂 I just tried the wrist BP monitor and it came up with 112/74 which would be pretty much perfect except I no longer trust it!

Did they try both arms ? Sometimes the BP can be higher in one arm than the other.

Hope its just a case of white-coat hypertension.

At least they took your BP. I saw a GP once who was going to take mine but his meter had vanished, he said it doesn't matter your always fine .......

How is your BP level now? have you got to go back and get it re-checked? I was on the verge of being put on medication last October at diagnosis but with my 2 stone weight loss it came down quite a bit but i am on statins for cholesterol - will find out what situation is with everything when i next go back for my 2nd review in June.

Did they try both arms ? Sometimes the BP can be higher in one arm than the other. ...

I wasn't aware of that - she always does my right arm because the meter is on the right side where I sit.

How is your BP level now? have you got to go back and get it re-checked? I was on the verge of being put on medication last October at diagnosis but with my 2 stone weight loss it came down quite a bit but i am on statins for cholesterol - will find out what situation is with everything when i next go back for my 2nd review in June.

According to my wrist BP meter it's practically normal, but I have lost all faith in that. I'm going back to the doctor's a week on Tuesday to have it tested again. I have been on a very small dose of medication for it, but have increased this last night so hopefully that will make a difference. I was on statins too but I stopped taking them when my cholesterol fell to 2.4, which I considered was too low. I will be having it tested again in a month or so, so it will be interesting to see what it is - hope I don't end up in a fight with the doctor as I really don't want to start taking them again.

When you go Alan can you take your own monitor with you so that she can do a reading and at the same time you can try on yours and see how similar they are. that should give you an idea how accurate your is. If they both read high, and you are fine at home then it's probably a white coat thing.

When you go Alan can you take your own monitor with you so that she can do a reading and at the same time you can try on yours and see how similar they are. that should give you an idea how accurate your is. If they both read high, and you are fine at home then it's probably a white coat thing.

Funnily enough, I was going to do that the last time! I know these home monitors are not very accurate, especially the wrist ones - although my consultant did suggest I get one at my last clinic! It would be intersting to know if it consistently reads, for example, 30 points below the professional meters.

Bring your Blood Pressure meter to Guildford and we can do a comparison of readings if you like.

Bring your Blood Pressure meter to Guildford and we can do a comparison of readings if you like.

Might as well - I carry enough gubbins around with me these days!

bag.jpg

I can't see the kitchen sink Northe. Did you forget it?:D

Northerner-The wrist bands are not that reliable, I was told to buy one that took your bp on the upper arm, as the results are more accurate and precise. I use a Omron model, they ain't to expensive at around ?25-30, put these models are the ones used in gp surgeries and hospitals. Try googling foods that help lower blood presure, some foodstuff like oats and bran, garlic and onions are proven to help in reducing bp, sometimes simple changes in lifestyle and diet is all that is needed. All the best.

Wristbands ... grrrrr 😡 I bought one of those the other day. The readings were dreadful I went from hardly any pressure at all to thinking I was about to have a heart attack in the space of 5 mins. Three of us tried and the readings were all over the place. So I took it back to the nearest chemist (same branch as where I bought it) who refused to take it, insisting that I took it back to where I got it from some 20 miles away. Anyway OH kicked off a bit and after phoning the other branch she reluctantly gave a refund and then said 'the wrist ones aren't reliable anyway!' and Oh kicked off again then telling her they shouldn't be sold if they are no good!!

I've got one of those Tez and I took a reading before I went to the doctors so I could have some comparison of how near it was - it was nowhere near!

The ones that take your BP on your wrist tend to read low in the over 40's. One of my GPs said they were not fit for purpose. Hopefully yours goes on the upper arm. Worth taking it along to the DSN for x-reference.

The ones that take your BP on your wrist tend to read low in the over 40's. One of my GPs said they were not fit for purpose. Hopefully yours goes on the upper arm. Worth taking it along to the DSN for x-reference.

No, it's a wrist one and I'm definitely over 40. If I knew what the discrepancy was and if it was fairly constant I'd know how to calibrate it and it would be useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back