my Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi all,
Today we went to a lovely place called Stow. Its full of lots of little shops and cafes etc. I was looking for cake baking things for my eldest daughters birthday. We went into a cake/chocolate shop and spent 5 minutes looking around. Suddenly Alex wasnt there. I went outside and he was standing there with tears trickling down his cheeks. I asked what was wrong and he said 'its just that shop - its full of things that everybody loves and i cant have'.
He has never been like this before - he normally makes a joke of these sort of things and pretends he is hypo and needs something.
He then asked if we could go home and started crying properly. I said of course we can if thats what you want etc.. But then he changed his mind and said to me ' mum I am sorry - I didnt mean to make you feel bad - its not your fault I am diabetic and I shouldnt have made you feel sad'.
At this point I wanted to blow up the shop!😱

I hate it that he is so strong at times and he is just a little boy dealing with a horrible condition that puts limits on his lifestyle.

I think perhaps it was the first time that he got a bit carried away seeing all the goodies and he forgot that he was diabetic for just a few seconds...and then reality struck and i think it shocked him.

I hate diabetes.:(Bev

He's a brave boy Bev. Sometimes it can really overwhelm you when you realise you have lost something, and must be particularly hard when you are young and it is a new sensation. I feel that way too, from time to time. But it sometimes helps me to know that not too long ago in history, only a tiny number of people would have ever tasted food like that because it was only for the rich and privileged. Now, we can sample that kind of food and experience its luxury, because it is more special to us as a treat than to people who shovel it down all the time.🙂

Thanks Northey and Carina,
He is 11 and gorgeous!🙂Bev

Bless him. Your Alex seems like such a brave and lovely lad. We all get like that sometimes, i gave up sweets when i was first diagnosed and some days are harder than others. I'm having another one right now. Don't feel bad or sad, either of you for feeling that way, it's ok. If i could give out hugs (or the mythical sugar and carb free sweeties that taste just like the regulars ones!) over the internet i would.
Diabetes is the pits...
Love
Rachel

Bless him. Your Alex seems like such a brave and lovely lad. We all get like that sometimes, i gave up sweets when i was first diagnosed and some days are harder than others. I'm having another one right now. Don't feel bad or sad, either of you for feeling that way, it's ok. If i could give out hugs (or the mythical sugar and carb free sweeties that taste just like the regulars ones!) over the internet i would.
Diabetes is the pits...
Love
Rachel

Thankyou Rachel,
I think I am being a bit pathetic because this is the first time that he hasnt joked about things and he has given in to his real emotion about diabetes. I am glad that he has faced this - because it had to come one day - but he is my boy and he is lovely and I just want to make things right for him. Anyone that meets him thinks he is a happy and interesting little chap and it breaks my heart that he has so much to cope with (like all of you do) and mostly he doesnt complain. Diabetes in whatever form is the pits.:(Bev

Bev, have a look at this website

www.lowcarbmegastore.com

There are lots of dessert type things you can buy, all low carb. I haven't bought anything from it yet but will do at some point, just thought it might be of use to you for Alex

bev,
I have 2 boys of 10 and 12. Only difference is i have diabetes and they don't, luckily - yet.
I'm sure we all sympathise with how he was feeling today. I get the same feeling when i visit a nice bakery or Thorntons sweet shop etc....
It's got to be easier to deal with when you're grown - up.
Did you buy him something nice for when he has his next hypo? There's always an upside.🙂

Hi,

Thats so sad, bless him. My son is just a little older, and that breaks my heart.

However, I dunno if I'm missing something or doing something wrong somewhere, but O eats whatver he wants. Cake, ice-cream, sweets, whatever.
Its just the timing thats different from other kids. O knows that nothing is really off - limits as long as he has an injection for it, or keeps the sweets for after dinner and includes it in his meal injection, and he cant really have that sort of thing between meals, and we should be discouraging all children, diabtic or otherwise, from eating sweets between meals anyway.

We have always been told by the DSN's, dietician, consultants etc that no food is off-limits and everything in moderation, which is normal common sense stuff anyway.
We have made certain adjustments ie using sweetener instead of sugar on cereal, soya milk is nearly carb-free so he'll have that as bedtime drink instead of normal milk etc. But he has never drank full sugar coke and we always had sugar-free juice anyway, so no big changes there.

So I just dont get this thing that people with diabetes (T1) cant eat anything sweet???
In fact if anything, its the T2's that aren't on injections who get the raw deal, as they really have to watch their diet far more carefully to avoid it getting to the insulin dependent stage. Much harder for them, I'd say.

Hi Zozo, for me I think it is the fact that I ALWAYS have to think about it and work things out, and do calculations, and make a decision whether it is worth it. Sometimes it's just that that really strikes home - the complete lack of spontaneity and, sometimes, the deep-seated fear that it will do you harm in some way, however small.

Hi Bev aww I hope Alex is ok now.Its so hard I guess to think of the things you could have that are now suddenly not so good to have , but i guess having those things from time to time are the little treats we still have left in life x Love and hugs to Alex he is a little superstar

Hi,

Thats so sad, bless him. My son is just a little older, and that breaks my heart.

However, I dunno if I'm missing something or doing something wrong somewhere, but O eats whatver he wants. Cake, ice-cream, sweets, whatever.
Its just the timing thats different from other kids. O knows that nothing is really off - limits as long as he has an injection for it, or keeps the sweets for after dinner and includes it in his meal injection, and he cant really have that sort of thing between meals, and we should be discouraging all children, diabtic or otherwise, from eating sweets between meals anyway.

We have always been told by the DSN's, dietician, consultants etc that no food is off-limits and everything in moderation, which is normal common sense stuff anyway.
We have made certain adjustments ie using sweetener instead of sugar on cereal, soya milk is nearly carb-free so he'll have that as bedtime drink instead of normal milk etc. But he has never drank full sugar coke and we always had sugar-free juice anyway, so no big changes there.

So I just dont get this thing that people with diabetes (T1) cant eat anything sweet???
In fact if anything, its the T2's that aren't on injections who get the raw deal, as they really have to watch their diet far more carefully to avoid it getting to the insulin dependent stage. Much harder for them, I'd say.

Hi Zozo,
Alex can eat what he wants - when he wants - within reason. But the problem at the moment is that he has an infection from his sensor and is on antibiotics - so its not a question about whether he eats a sweety or not - I think it was just that he suddenly realised that he cant be spontaneous and not have to think about levels and insulin and carbs etc.. He saw me and his sister oggling everything and I think this made him realise that although he can actually eat some of the stuff - he cant do it in a way that doesnt require a huge amount of thought and planning.

Until he was 10 he had a 'normal' childs life and could pick and choose what he ate and now he has to stop and think and make decisions about whether its a good idea or not..and he has to think about dual waves and corrections and ketones etc. No little boy wants to have to think about these things do they... its just too much effort.:(Bev

I agree with ZOZO AND Northerner. Today, for example, i've eaten 2 chocolate bars. A Yorkie and A flake. Sounds horrendous but my sugar levels haven't been above 6.5 all day. It's trying to keep a close eye on the levels and getting used to what you can get away with and when. Still a pain in the backside though.

Hi Zozo, for me I think it is the fact that I ALWAYS have to think about it and work things out, and do calculations, and make a decision whether it is worth it. Sometimes it's just that that really strikes home - the complete lack of spontaneity and, sometimes, the deep-seated fear that it will do you harm in some way, however small.

Absolutely agree. Thats the thing with O, he cant just stick stuff in his mouth without a thought, like his friends can. I think that bothers him sometimes, but he does know that these things aren't totally out of bounds to him.
To be honest,since his diagnosis its made me think about my eating habits too, and maybe us non-diabetic people could learn something....one of the best tips for leading a healthy life and keeping weight down, is whenever you go to snack- have a biscuit or a choc bar - is take a second to think ' Do I actually NEED to eat this?' Most of the time the answer will be no, and just by taking that second to think about it will stop us eating it.
So being diabetic is like that everyday, and while D is a horrible condition to live with, it certainly makes you think that all the time....and surely that can be a good thing? I have heard of many people with diabetes who definitely have a healthier lifestyle than non-diabetics because they have to consider what they eat.

I should work for the Government...I swear I could put a positive spin on anything!!😉

A deep one for sure, the problem us guys have (even if only 11) is we often joke about stuff (I pretty much always have/do) then when we think about STUFF and crack up it's pretty rotten. I forgot about it all for a wee while the other day then "woke up" and thought bother! (to say it nicely!) not good, I know "I" have it easy at present and feel bad for those that don't and feel so strongly. But I haven't had a sweet tooth really, had some cheese cake today but didn't really fancy any. I cannot imagine dealing with this whilst dealing with life as a kid growing up. Y ou are both doing really well, respect. Not sure I've said much. Take care Alex & Bev. Rossi 🙂

Alex

Dear Bev,

Your story bought a lump to my throat, it must tear you apart at times like this. Still he showed what a wonderful caring son he is and this must give you great joy.

Warmest Regards Dodger

Bev I really feel for Alex. I remember once shortly after I was diagnosed having to run out of a restaurant when everyone was ordering desset as I knew I was going to burst into tears. It must be so hard trying to deal with this along with all the normal growing up issues. He is a strong boy though and has a wonderful supportive family around him.

Personally I try and avoid sweet things most of the time. I know that in theory I can inject for them, but the insulin seems to take ages to kick in with me and I know they will send me sky high and slowly return back to normal. Puddings are yoghurts most of the time.

Oh Bev, as a Mum I do feel for you watching Alex being so sad and he has been SO strong - antibiotics too sometimes make you weepy so it was probably just the last straw when he realised he couldn't ever "be normal" again as he was before diagnosis.

Having said that - I bought myself a bar of choccie yesterday - first time for ages - bit off 2 squares and now I've broken the side off one of my back teeth - retribution or what !? Dentist tomorrow and it will cost me dearly as he's not an NHS chap. I wish I'd never bought that choccie !

Hugs to you both,:(

Bev, I read your post and wanted to give Alex a great big hug and make him better. If it's any consolation I hate the diabetes too and wish I could make it all go away.

It is difficult for adults, it must be doubly difficult for children and their parents as it is difficult not to give the children all the yummy things other children enjoy.

To Alex, I think you are very brave and very grown up and I know your mum is very proud of you.

Hi,

i am a type 2 and on injections 4 times a day i find this strange any other person on this site type 2 are not got any answers for me dont understand this😱

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back