Motivation Needed

Neens

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi All,
It has been a while since I posted (probably before/around Lockdown) - the whole method of dealing with it for me was to disappear into something else I do, I have shielded and coped with limited income (just about) and now am work ready and waiting for work and hoping some will come.

As far as T2 Diabetes I was doing really well.
I was looking forward to the Education class that I had to wait 6 months for (and understandably) it went online - and not via zoom which was study in your own time and the main reason I wanted to do it was meet other local people with the same condition.
I also lost my foot appointment and any follow up with the Nurse.
So the last time my bloods and everything were taken was before lockdown/early March and nothing since.

I have dealt with depression (already on medication) and MH has been an issue for many people and I have been able to reach out about that. But it has meant that there have been 2 times when I ran out of metformin and messed up my meds (by not taking enough).

I have also fallen into bad eating habits. I have put on 8lbs. I was doing Pilates classes before CO'19 and they have moved online and I have done some and am walking a few times a week. My world is as small as I can make it because whilst I am not working there is no point in taking risks but from MH standpoint this diminishing is not good. Normal things (like picking up prescriptions) seems very dangerous.

I have started to eat sugar and carbs and my last BG was 12.4 (2hr after eating). Usually it is between 3.8 -5.8
I have tried to drink lots and I know my meds were upside down today (I usually take the 1000mg in morning and 500mg in evening) and I had run out of meds.
I am slightly worried as my vision has gone funny and so has my head (as if I have had a few glasses of vodka or something)/fuzzy head.

I have also been diagnosed with another chronic condition that it has taken 5 months to get as far as a Consultant and full meds. Which is a weight ---- but also how I know I have put on 8lbs.

Anyway just seeking advice on getting it lower (other than stop eating cheesecake (it was 1/8 and about 14g carb all counted/tiny piece) and mash potato as a treat (just 1 serving spoon/dollop) I am on the whole sticking to my low carb eating and have got the food diaries out again to try to stay on track. I have slipped and need help getting back up I think.

Hope you are all doing okay and surviving this challenging time.

Neens

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Maybe it might help to look for low carb options - I have found that mashed swede really fills the place of mashed potato of a chilly evening and there are loads of low carb baking recipes around now.

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
You’re half way there @Neens because you’ve identified the problems. I suggest picking one thing at a time to try to improve it. Drummer has made a good suggestion above, and I’d also add could you find non-food treats that you could give yourself for sticking to your regime? A book, a DVD, watching an episode of your favourite programme?

You know you can do it as you’ve had good results before. Remember too that there are always people here to listen when you’re finding things a bit of a struggle.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Have you rang to see if you can get an appointment with your Diabetic Nurse. I did this and had mine last month, initial the receptionist told me it would be a phone one , but when the nurse phoned the first thing she said she would need to see me in person and gave me an appointment for the following week and did my bloods and everything else she would do. Then rang and discussed the results on the phone the following week.

SB2015

Forum Host
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Welcome back @Neens

It sounds like you have made a good start already, and also managed the last few months well. It has been a difficult time so it is no wonder that things have drifted a bit.

Setting small targets is a really good plan.
Also phoning your Practice for an appointment would be useful.
It is often a phone appointment first but then a lot on here have managed to get their regular checks.

Keep in touch. You are not on your own

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Lovely to see you posting again @Neens

Looks like you are doing amazingly well, and have gathered some really useful information about how your BGs react to sugary and carby things - hope that helps you decide how often to choose those in the future.

Sorry to hear you’ve had some appointment and course disappointments - I think they will have to work out a way of sorting these out if we are going to be a whole year under restrictions!

Anyway - lovely to have you back among us :)