Morning levemir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That could just be a late glucose release from his evening meal. What did he have? Do you keep a food diary to check back on to see if the same meal gave similar results last time he ate it. It looks like he had a small rise and drop after his evening meal and then that sudden surge starting about 8pm.
Hey there.
Leo tends to eat the same types of meals just alternates really. Very fussy eater (which i guess for a 10 yo taking lots of tablets and injections before he even eats) to want to be excited with food is very hard .
He had fish fingers, potatoe waffles and peas/carrots.
Followed by yoghurt drink and a mousse.

Tbh these spikes are so Random and through various parts of the day, his consultant just cannot figure out why these are happening so fast and straight up. To the point where they thought that he must had been eating in between...but he has Nothing.

There was a spike earlier when we wr out just playing pool... Luckily i spotted this and corrected early... But again this came from absolutely nothing ‍
Ill see what today brings.

Thank you

Just wanted to say well done for the great work you are putting in to looking after Leo’s diabetes.

It’s such a steep learnung curve, and you are doing brilliantly!

Thank you so much really appreciated.
I've certainly been following this thread with both genuine interest and concern over your huge challenge. It seems I'm not alone, judging by the number of 'views'. I can't help you in any practical way, but I echo the comment about how well you are doing and admire your determination to find a way through this - for Leo. So please accept my "well done", from an otherwise complete outsider.

In his book Think Like a Pancreas, Gary Scheiner said "Diabetes is complicated, confusing and contradictory". For a while after my instant designation as T3c, I used to quote that and add "Frightening". I suspect that still applies to yourself. It would to me if I had a T1 child. More recently I, like you, have tried to understand more about 'what and why'. I was indoctrinated as a young adult to listen and learn, under the mantra that 'Knowledge dispels fear'. Its as true for me today as it ever was.

Good luck, hope things clarify and settle down.

Last edited:
I've certainly been following this thread with both genuine interest and concern over your huge challenge. It seems I'm not alone, judging by the number of 'views'. I can't help you in any practical way, but I echo the comment about how well you are doing and admire your determination to find a way through this - for Leo. So please accept my "well done", from an otherwise complete outsider.

In his book Think Like a Pancreas, Gary Schneider said "Diabetes is complicated, confusing and contradictory". For a while after my instant designation as T3c, I used to quote that and add "Frightening". I suspect that still applies to yourself. It would to me if I had a T1 child. More recently I, like you, have tried to understand more about 'what and why'. I was indoctrinated as a young adult to listen and learn, under the mantra that 'Knowledge dispels fear'. Its as true for me today as it ever was.

Good luck, hope things clarify and settle down.
Thank you so so much... Very much appreciated. It is difficult especially managing two conditions with all of his football too.
We plod on and keep trying

So... After a good few days of in range figures ONE thing STILL happens.
As per the attached pic of the graph... Leos readings are relatively ok we have found a workable routine but every day around 4pm... Or 6pm he just rockets for still.
Still for no reason at all.... Nothing to eat since 1215..... His team are absolutely baffled and have no idea at all... All they say is wait for the pump and it will sort things out.... Well sort it out it may do but i am not having another device yet until i get... And his team get to the bottom of this. There is something going on somewhere in his little body and i need to know why this is happening before connecting yet another device.basically finding the cause before the remedy not just mask over this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220412_163015_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    Screenshot_20220412_163015_org.nativescript.LibreLinkUp.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3
Sorry to hear you are still struggling with this.
Does it always follow a dip into the red on an afternoon as shown on this and other graphs you have posted. If so, it may well be a liver dump as a result of the hypo.
If it happens even when he doesn't have a hypo, then it may still be a liver dump (a bit like Dawn Phenomenon/Foot on the Floor syndrome) but why it is happening right then in the afternoon is difficult to understand unless it is because the bulk of his Levemir which he takes on a night, is running out.... He takes his biggest Levemir dose on an evening doesn't he? Would this tie in with about 16-18 hours after his evening dose? It is still however a very dramatic rise for it to be Levemir running out.
I started to get a liver dump like this about 7pm at the turn of the year but not as severe as that. I brought my evening Levemir dose forward and added corrections to deal with it as it was happening and that fixes mine.
If it is consistent every day then you could perhaps inject some fast acting insulin to deal with it but if it happens after a hypo then that would not be appropriate and the answer would be to prevent the hypo.
Is Leo definitely not over treating the hypo? We all know that feeling of wanting to eat the contents of the fridge during and after a hypo because the hunger is so compelling, so it would be perfectly understandable if he was eating more hypo treatment than he needed. He may also feel guilty about doing so and therefore deny it. I always feel stupid and embarrassed when I over treat so I could understand him not wanting to admit to it, even though it can be uncontrollable sometimes.

Sometimes with diabetes you have to accept that bodies are complex systems and they don't always work the way you expect or the experts can explain and can be totally different to how someone else's works. We need however much insulin we need and when we need it. Sometimes we can figure out a reason as to why that is more or less than at other times but often we can't. You can tie yourself in knots trying to figure it out and just when you think you might have sussed it out, the body changes and that problem disappears and a new one surfaces to boggle your mind all over again.

For me the two things to work on would be..... is it a liver dump due to the hypo in which case work on preventing the hypo.

Is it due to the bulk of his Levemir dose running out. If so, adjusting the time he takes his evening Levemir should also adjust the time that spike happens. So if he takes his evening Levemir at 9pm, try bringing it forward by 3 hours and see if that brings the spike forward the next day.

Could it be excitement at the end of the school day or stress of being bullied as he leaves school for example? Does it happen just the same at weekends as weekdays which would rule out a school factor and be more to do with everyday routine? Those are the sort of things I would be working on in your situation.

Sorry to hear you are still struggling with this.
Does it always follow a dip into the red on an afternoon as shown on this and other graphs you have posted. If so, it may well be a liver dump as a result of the hypo.
If it happens even when he doesn't have a hypo, then it may still be a liver dump (a bit like Dawn Phenomenon/Foot on the Floor syndrome) but why it is happening right then in the afternoon is difficult to understand unless it is because the bulk of his Levemir which he takes on a night, is running out.... He takes his biggest Levemir dose on an evening doesn't he? Would this tie in with about 16-18 hours after his evening dose? It is still however a very dramatic rise for it to be Levemir running out.
I started to get a liver dump like this about 7pm at the turn of the year but not as severe as that. I brought my evening Levemir dose forward and added corrections to deal with it as it was happening and that fixes mine.
If it is consistent every day then you could perhaps inject some fast acting insulin to deal with it but if it happens after a hypo then that would not be appropriate and the answer would be to prevent the hypo.
Is Leo definitely not over treating the hypo? We all know that feeling of wanting to eat the contents of the fridge during and after a hypo because the hunger is so compelling, so it would be perfectly understandable if he was eating more hypo treatment than he needed. He may also feel guilty about doing so and therefore deny it. I always feel stupid and embarrassed when I over treat so I could understand him not wanting to admit to it, even though it can be uncontrollable sometimes.

Sometimes with diabetes you have to accept that bodies are complex systems and they don't always work the way you expect or the experts can explain and can be totally different to how someone else's works. We need however much insulin we need and when we need it. Sometimes we can figure out a reason as to why that is more or less than at other times but often we can't. You can tie yourself in knots trying to figure it out and just when you think you might have sussed it out, the body changes and that problem disappears and a new one surfaces to boggle your mind all over again.

For me the two things to work on would be..... is it a liver dump due to the hypo in which case work on preventing the hypo.

Is it due to the bulk of his Levemir dose running out. If so, adjusting the time he takes his evening Levemir should also adjust the time that spike happens. So if he takes his evening Levemir at 9pm, try bringing it forward by 3 hours and see if that brings the spike forward the next day.

Could it be excitement at the end of the school day or stress of being bullied as he leaves school for example? Does it happen just the same at weekends as weekdays which would rule out a school factor and be more to do with everyday routine? Those are the sort of things I would be working on in your situation.
Thank you for your thoughts once again very much appreciated.
Leo definitely only had the one glucose tablet and nothing else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back