Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Following a suggestion by a member @Josh DUK has asked me to gather feedback about the possibility of extending the ‘like’ function with a few more options, a bit like the smilies.

1635194459804.jpeg

So that it would be easier to offer, for example, sympathy or surprise.

Let us know what you think 🙂

I’ve often thought it would be useful to have something that conveyed solidarity, or 'I feel your pain' when someone is having a bad time, and 'like' just isn’t appropriate. I know it’s always possible to reply, but if the person has already had several replies, so there’s not much more to be said, and you just want to add something to show you’re thinking of them too, then it would be useful.

Maybe exclude the angry one? Something like the Facebook ones of like, love, care, surprise, sad perhaps.

I’ve often thought it would be useful to have something that conveyed solidarity, or 'I feel your pain' when someone is having a bad time, and 'like' just isn’t appropriate. I know it’s always possible to reply, but if the person has already had several replies, so there’s not much more to be said, and you just want to add something to show you’re thinking of them too, then it would be useful.
Maybe a fist - like Citizen Smith

Yeah the like button is all well and good but it would be nice to see a bit more variety because as people have already said, a like can mean anything. I think ‘like’ ‘love’ and ‘support’ would be perfect 🙂

A ‘laugh’ reaction would also be welcome as long as it’s not misused to be like ‘I don’t agree with you’ (not that I think anyone would do that here, but I have seen it elsewhere)

More buttons would be better just as long as there is a mixture of Pro and Con ones.
That way a balanced view point would be given and not one rose-shaded from a viewpoint through rose tinted glasses. Everything in life is not rosy.

Another option should be to have none at all, words say more than emojis.

FInd emojis can be used in negative effect where little cliques can form, see it everywhere on social media, particularly on contentious subjects like diet politics health is being discussed, can be off putting & make people feel isolated for having different opinions.

I've often thought the "like" button is inadequate to reflect the variety of emotions a post can generate. Would definitely appreciate having a range of options as suggested.

Personally, I think there is a place for a few more, like Agree, Informative, Optimistic, and maybe Hug, or something indicative positive support.

Sometimes folks seem to use the Like icon to signify they have read a post, so it rather dilutes that one. Don't know if that could be clearer. Sometimes we see the Like used, then an explanation having to be added for why Like could be positive in response to a tricky post. (OK, that's a baaaaaaaaad description, but hopefully might mean something to someone.)

I feel uncomfortable using “like” when someone has described a problem/bad occurrence in their life, but at present it’s the only way to say “I acknowledge you” without making a post repeating all the other posts. I like the FB ones which include a hug.

The 'thumbs up like' response button seems to provide adequate encouragement to fellow posters. I notice that the majority of posts don't use any emojis. That may be because the emoji selection is so slim compared with other chat options like WhatsApp or Facebook Messenger. I use emojis when chatting with pals, but with strangers less emotion is often the best option.
View attachment 18928
I can't get the emoji on my kindle fire tablet on this forum !

I don't have the smilies one or the plain text one maybe mine is an older version but the smilies on the keypad work on other forums but not here
Carol

I don't have the smilies one or the plain text one maybe mine is an older version but the smilies on the keypad work on other forums but not here
Carol
When I have a smaller screen, I don't always see the emoji icon that @Benny G has highlighted.
I have to click on the ":" to get the "More options" which includes the Smiles/Emojis.

When replying to a post I think something more than just the like button would be brilliant - the facebook ones are good

I tend to agree with @nonethewiser, if you can't say it in words, it's a bit glib doing it with an emoji. I do use them occasionally, but largely the wink and the smile. One useful addition would be the champagne emoji.

I would like more emojis, particularly those that show some form of emotion, a LIKE is often not suitable if someone is having a tough time so the more the better for me.

@everydayupsanddowns @Josh DUK can we have a "hug" or "care" one added too? I like the selection you've added at the moment but quite a few posts often need a "hug" or "care" reaction xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back