More paranoid now..

Status
Not open for further replies.

elwoodlpool

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

ive been living last few weeks since i was diagnosed type 2 like well i feel a prisoner to food. I was not put on tablets or insulin by the nurse. So ive been eating things like, Brown bread,salads,chicken breast, fruit. All things like that no sweets or anything also been drinking lots of water. I have had the odd glasses of wine too. But always feel guilty and also i had a KFC with my family and felt guilty after. At the moment im so paranoid every ache and pain i get i think the worst and now i have 2 patches of dry skin between my toes one has healed and the other has a small split in it. I do work in a band and part of the act is me dancing alot so i get sweaty feet. But now im thinking thats gonna get infected and im gonna loose my foot. Im so scared and paranoid about everyhing. Evenn my eyes ive had bad vision in the right eye for years but now im thinking im going blind. This is really effecting me and my relationship as im always locked in my own mind with things...

Im so paranoid i dont know what to do.......

Ive even experianced pins and needles in my feet and think a matter of time and ill loose both my legs i cant stand all this really..

Mark

Hi Mark,

Do you ever test your bg levels? If that shows that you are consistently running high levels then you need go back to your GP. Alternatively, if it shows that you are well controlled, then stop worrying (I know that is easier said than done initially though!).

Meanwhile, you will not lose any toes or legs if you ensure that any cuts or splits on your feet/legs are cleaned and dealt with promptly. But if you feel that something isn't clearing up, then, you've guessed it, go and see your GP 🙂

The tingling in your feet and legs can be expected if your diabetes had been undiagnosed for a little while. I experienced that too, but now that my bg levels have been fairly well controlled I can actually report that my symptoms have improved. I don't see why you shouldn't be the same.

STOP WORRYING :D

Andy

Ok, saying "don't worry" might not help much, so here are a few practical suggestions:
Food - the odd glass of wine or KFC with your family is fine; most fast food outlets provide nutritional information, in shops / online / both, so you can choose the less fatty, less carbohydrate options.
Feet - cracked skin sounds very like athletes foot / tinea pedis; best get a doctor / nurse / pharmacist / podiatrist to look at your feet and suggest treatment - probably ant-fungal cream and or talcum powder; wearing cotton socks, changing socks frequently (perhaps during a performance, if needed), wearing sandals when possible to let feet air.
Eye sight, pins and needles etc - these symptoms may start to improve with your new improved diet and lifestyle. Best to talk to your health professional(s) about your situation - they know the whole story and can advise about treatment. They might be able to refer you to a dietician or a diabetes diet course to give you more detailed information. Access to dieticians and courses eg XPERT, BERTIE for type 2 or local equivalents is patchy, but they're even less to refer you if you don't ask.

Hi Mark, I was diagnosed in February and no-one should under estimate how over whelming the feelings are in the first few weeks. There is so much to learn and take in and diabetes being what it is, doesn't do logical :D just when you think you are getting to gripes with it, something else happens! I too was worrying constantly in the beginning and I still do to a certain extent but as you gain better control you will feel better and worry less. Best of all is this forum where you will learn so much with people who understand where you are coming from.

I didn't see Andy HB's post, as he was typing at the same time as me; perhaps I would be fairer to say, "saying don't worry isn't enough by itself, so here are some practical suggestions" - my post wasn't meant to criticise Andy HB.

I didn't see Andy HB's post, as he was typing at the same time as me; perhaps I would be fairer to say, "saying don't worry isn't enough by itself, so here are some practical suggestions" - my post wasn't meant to criticise Andy HB.

Phew! I hoped that was the case 😉

Andy 🙂

Yeah thanks everyone. My problem is i spoke to the nurse a few weeks back and she said to eat health so ie been looking at packets and stuff and keeping to things with low sugar and keeping off alcohol and stuff. But when i saw her she told me things in moderation. Then that was about it really no mention of tablets or things like that. I was just told to come and see her in another month, which is the 1st of September and im having another test to see what my body has done with the sugar in the last few months if i have that right??? Just feel so misrable and low all the time. And again i feel in the dark am i eating right or wrong ???? My average day is eating wise is this....

And it also is harder as all month ive been on the road with the band and im steering clear of take aways.. Ill eat breakfast usually all bran, lunch is usually chicken sandwiches on brown bread 4 slices of bread... Then a peice of fruit and some water.. then dinner is usually the same or a salad. I dont eat crisps much sweets dont drink pop. And if i do have a drink pop wise its no added sugar dilute orange with sparkling water in it..

But all i keep thinking is ill be the person diagnosed and everything will go down from there loosing limbs and blindness and then i think ill be dead before my son is 1 as he's due in September.. My partner has said to me my paranoia is effecting me worse than the diabetes.. As i type this i could cry...

Mark

Hi Mark, it's not much help to you for us all to say "don't worry" and we all recall how we felt when first diagnosed - it's a massive shock - but at least you realise you have to be aware of the things you do which affect your diabetes.

Re your feet - yes, get someone from your diabetic care team, or Dr if necessary, to have a look and give you some cream to clear up any athletes foot probs (I get that too, especially in the hot weather, and it goes very quickly with treatment). The tingling can be due to diabetes and should go as you get your levels under control - but it all takes time to get to grips with things.

Go easy on yourself - your feet aren't going to fall off just because you have an odd glass of wine or treat, honestly ! Even now (as you can see from other topics on this Forum) we all get things which worry us about Diabetes but with the advice/support on here from some of those who've dealt with Diabetes for longer than I have (only 2 years for me) you can keep things more in proportion and know when it's necessary to ask for help from your Diabetic Care Team.

Post any questions, rants or problems on here and someone will always be able to chat back to you.

All the very best on joining the club no-one wants to be in. 🙂

Mark,

I'm assuming that you don't have a personal blood glucose meter. You can buy them from any chemist quite cheaply (or sometimes for free direct from the manufacturers - others can advise how because I don't have the info to hand).

The problem is that the test strips used by the meters are very expensive (mine cost ?25 for a pack of 50). But it may be possible to get them on prescription (but that seems highly variable depending on where you live it seems).

Anyway, meters usually come with some test strips as part of the package (mine had 25, which was good to be getting on with).

Also, have a read of the sticky in the newly diagnosed forum. That will give you lots of additional useful information.

Andy

Last edited:
im steering clear of take aways.. Ill eat breakfast usually all bran, lunch is usually chicken sandwiches on brown bread 4 slices of bread... Then a peice of fruit and some water.. then dinner is usually the same or a salad. I dont eat crisps much sweets dont drink pop. And if i do have a drink pop wise its no added sugar dilute orange with sparkling water in it..

Until the 1st September, when you see the nurse again, I'd say that what you're eating is perfectly fine. But, I would avoid all crisps and sweets completely (but not necessarily indefinitely - once you know how foods affect you, it will be possible to judge when you can let the leash off).

But all i keep thinking is ill be the person diagnosed and everything will go down from there loosing limbs and blindness and then i think ill be dead before my son is 1 as he's due in September

I think that someone has a signature on this forum which answers this worry quite well. It goes something like "Controlled diabetes is the cause of .... absolutely nothing". Continue to do what you're doing now until 1st September (but have a read of that sticky and judge whether you can do anything better). Then, ask the nurse about going on a course (e.g. Diabetes X-Pert course that Copepod mentioned) and, if you're still unsure about diet, get an appointment to see a dietician.

Andy 🙂

Thanks again all for this.. Its wierd its like i cant control my mind anymore and enjoy my life cos all i keep thinking is im dying. And even sometimes i think im this broken thing thats no good to anyone at all. Its like im that full of fear everyone else round me now dont get my attention my kids my partner. Im off to me nieces christening today and all i want to do is go to bed and cry. Im a 31 year old bloke how pathetic..

Mark

Hey Mark,

I think you're being a bit hard on yourself there 🙂 It's not pathetic to find something like this a huge adjustment. I think everyone finds it hard to start with, because it seems big, scary, and it's the unknown. But you want the good news? You're facing up to the fact that you can't just ignore it straight from the get go! That's a huge advantage already, because it means that you're going to adapt.

The other good news is that it's ok to be upset, and it's even ok to cry about it. I managed between 30 seconds and 1 minute after being told that I had to go to the hospital before I burst into tears! You're not broken, this is not the end of things for you, it's just part of you now, and once you start knowing what's what, it WILL get easier. It won't be easy, but it won't be this terrifying thing that paralyses.

You're doing the right thing, and you're in the right place 🙂

Spend some time over the next week or so to decide what you want out of your next meeting with the nurse. If necessary, write down a list and don't forget to mention how you are feeling.

Hopefully, a lot of what you're feeling is just because you lack the knowledge and experience of the condition. But, if instinctively you feel that it isn't just that, then getting the advice and help that you need is better done sooner rather than later.

Good luck Mark! Try and forget everything for a bit and go and enjoy your niece's christening.

Andy 🙂

Its crazy isnt it.. Even as a kid ive had problems with hypocandria and stuff but all this has bought it all back. Im off again to have that blood test and all i keep thinking is what will it be next ???? Oh sorry we have found something else and you have a few months to live.. It really is destroying me and my partner we hardly speak as all i can think about is being ill or dying and i sit quiet and every little thing i think is your ill thats it.

I wish i could get my head together and i carry on eating well and stuff but last night at a show i had 3 beers then today i feel guilty and think ah well your dying anyway sod it.. But then i look at my family and kids and think i want to be here for them im a mess totally. All these things are doing my nut in,

Mark

...But all i keep thinking is ill be the person diagnosed and everything will go down from there loosing limbs and blindness and then i think ill be dead before my son is 1 as he's due in September.. My partner has said to me my paranoia is effecting me worse than the diabetes.. As i type this i could cry...

Mark

Hi Mark, I can't add much to what has already been said, but do think on this: there are thousands of members on this forum, some of whom have had diabetes for decades, yet the incidence of diabetic complications they report is thankfully very low and often can be related to periods of poor control like teenage rebellion etc. A lot of the dire consequences of diabetes can be attributed to lack of knowledge, understanding or poor care, or stem from a time when treatments were nowhere near as good and advanced as they are now - and getting better all the time! If you follow good advice and learn to manage your diabetes (which you are more than capable of, I'm sure!), then you will see your son grow into a young man, a father and probably a grandfather (hey -I'm a great uncle and I'm only 51!) 🙂

I am at the moment using some guess work too with diet.. I will eat things like ham and stuff on my sandwiches and check if there is sugar in it ive picked up propper ham that says trace were the sugar is.. Ive also had chicken that has about 1.2g of sugar in and i always try to keep it low.. But everythime i eat too i think have i done right? At the moment my diet is boring and dull and im even getting fed up of eating to be honest. But again im on the road alot this month so have not been able to cook at home.. Im also having bad cravings now for things like and indian meal of a chinese meal as i love all that. Im really gonna have to speak to the nurse when i go back because im so down and paranoid and the diet too i feel like saying is this really life from now on ?

All i want to do is have a night our with my partner too after the baby is born but again i think if i have to go out drinking water thats rubbish too,

Ah im sorry to go on all tell me to shut up..

Mark

Mark, I predict that within a few months you will be enjoying your food again, and also those special celebrations with your family with a few drinks involved! You don't have to be a saint or a monk - you will be able to eat a tasty, varied diet. I think we all react very strongly at first, but in time you will become more relaxed - but not complacent! - about what you eat and drink.

Have a look at the link below - it contains a slideshow of a whole bunch of us meeting up in London for the first Forum Meet. Observe the big plate of profiteroles that Shelley, Amy and Viki are tucking into and the pints of beer we are enjoying! We all survived! No reason why you shouldn't be able to enjoy similar occasions in the not too distant future! 🙂

http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/2009/11/blog-post.html

Hi Mark.

Never shut up about it. That way you'll just bottle it up and worry more. Best thing is to talk as much as you can until you know all there is to know about it. You'll find in reality, there's more positives than negatives and the negs don't get many of us as long as we do more or less what we should.

Have you considere counselling of some sort for your fear of all this ?

It could be you have something from way back that might help you to get it all out.

Keep talking.

Rob

ps. I was in tears the other night when I woke up and thought I was going to slip into a coma from my hypo. It scares the **** out of me and the mind can play some nasty tricks. Needless to say, I'm still here and slept well enough after. 🙄

hi Mark ..not going to add any more to what the others have said but just wanted to say nice to see you posting and maybe some councilling will help xxx keep dancing x🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back