Minor update…

In general the guidance is that if finger prick readings are consistently 4-7mmol/l fasting and before meals and no more than 8mmol/l at the 2 hour point for the 3 months prior to the test then the HbA1C is likely to be normal. This of course may not apply to everyone and may depend on age and other factors.
I do seem to like being the exception to the rule... sigh. I mean, 49 is still totally fine (GP said he wanted it under 53 in general), but I'd like it a bit closer to normal if possible.

Out of curiosity - is the 1 hour or 2 hour point more important, do we know? I tend to get back down to only slightly elevated at the two hour mark. My current running level seems to be between 5.4-5.9, and usually my 2 hour tests are around 6.5, with the odd exception. Cause obviously even those who are metabolically normal may rise well beyond 8.5 if they've had (say) a carbonara and a huge cake while out for dinner or such. Is it simply that people with diabetes can't clear those onslaughts of glucose as quickly (due to insulin resistance/no insulin), and so the glucose gets stuck to red blood cells while circulating in the bloodstream and therefore shows up in the a1c? Sorry, trying to make sense of the background science, as it looks as if the finger tests and the big lab test look at somewhat different things and it's slightly confusing me.

I've picked this post up late, but would like to add roasted squash to the potato alternatives. A dusting of paprika adds flavour.
I loooove roasted squash. My main replacement for chips is roasted courgettes (cut into eights lengthwise, olive oil, some southern fried seasoning to taste, 15 mins at 200 fan, let out the condensation quickly, and then 2 mins whacked all the way up. You can pop on some parmesan cheese if desired but I find it makes them a soggy and greasy).

Back