Mini med 780G

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aybrice (Blueduck)

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m not using a pump at the mo but saw info about this pump that links to a sensor and it adjust your insulin accordingly

Any one used/got one and how do you get on with this system as it’s sounds too good to be true

Fed up of trying so hard and having rubbish results and dr thinks I have neuropathy in my foot, well, when I told her have a numb heel, she just said that’s what it is

Comments re pump welcome folk

I've been using it for a couple of months now and it is utterly amazing. I've had type 1 for 53 years and I no longer have to constantly worry about my BS and make adjustments. I'm always between 94% an 100% TIR. I'm sure it is different for everyone, but I have nothing but good things to say about my experience. I suspect this is as close to a cure as we'll get to in my lifetime.

I am another one using the closed loop with the 780G and I love it.

It has transformed my life. like @drfaustus I no longer have to be thinking about my diabetes all the time. The pump and sensor check in with each other every 5 min and just get on with their job. I have to get involved around meals/snacks telling the pump what carbs I am eating. For extended exercise I find I need to trickle in a small amount of carbs without telling the pump and I make use of the temporary targets.

There are a few of us on here who have shared tips about the system to make it work for our own circumstance. if you choose this pump have a look at the 780G users.

Any questions do ask.

Fabulous glad to hear it’s so good for you

Hope my local nhs will prescribe as don’t think it’s the same all over the country
There are other pumps which work as a closed loop. The Tslim works with Dexcom sensors and the Ypsomed works with either Libre or Dexcom I believe and the new Omnipod is hopefully soon be available soon with closed loop capability.

As far as getting one is concerned you need to start the process by discussing it with your consultant. If you are not under a consultant at present, then you will need a referral from your GP. If you can convince the consultant that a pump will be beneficial to you then the consultant has to apply for funding for the pump. Many areas only offer one or two pump options so don't specifically set your heart on that pump, but find out which ones are supported by your clinic. I believe some clinics do pump demonstration days where you can go along and see the various options in the flesh and discuss their various features with the staff and perhaps reps. to help you make a decision if more than one pump option is available in your area.
The process can take months or years, so if you are interested, start the ball rolling asap and it would be well worthwhile to compose a list of reasons why you feel the pump would be beneficial to your diabetes management. There is only limited funding, so I believe you usually have to convince them why you would be a good candidate for one. If they say "No" the first time ask them for their reasons in writing and work on getting evidence to dispute those reasons.... in a polite way of course, by doing homework on the pump in question and working out how it's various features will counteract the problems you experience. Those can be psychological problems I believe as well as frequent hypos or persistent highs etc. ie poor time in range results and what you have tried with MDI to overcome those problems.

They might also want you to have completed a DAFNE intensive education course (or similar local alternative) so if you haven't done that it might be worth enquiring. The course educators can sometimes advocate for you with the consultant if they feel a pump would be beneficial, so that can provide a foot in the door.

Personally I don't want or need one at the present time and hope that will always be the case for a variety of reasons but I wish you lots of luck. Just wanted to make you aware that it is rarely a case of simply asking and getting a "Yes" or "No" at that appointment and consultant appointments don't come around too often, so going in prepared with facts and figures and bullet points may be really important to success.

Fed up of trying so hard and having rubbish results and dr thinks I have neuropathy in my foot, well, when I told her have a numb heel, she just said that’s what it is
This doesn't sound right if you have neuropathy it's normally in both limbs, so insist on further investigations.

Says it all really!
IMG_7201.png

There are other pumps which work as a closed loop. The Tslim works with Dexcom sensors and the Ypsomed works with either Libre or Dexcom I believe and the new Omnipod is hopefully soon be available soon with closed loop capability.

As far as getting one is concerned you need to start the process by discussing it with your consultant. If you are not under a consultant at present, then you will need a referral from your GP. If you can convince the consultant that a pump will be beneficial to you then the consultant has to apply for funding for the pump. Many areas only offer one or two pump options so don't specifically set your heart on that pump, but find out which ones are supported by your clinic. I believe some clinics do pump demonstration days where you can go along and see the various options in the flesh and discuss their various features with the staff and perhaps reps. to help you make a decision if more than one pump option is available in your area.
The process can take months or years, so if you are interested, start the ball rolling asap and it would be well worthwhile to compose a list of reasons why you feel the pump would be beneficial to your diabetes management. There is only limited funding, so I believe you usually have to convince them why you would be a good candidate for one. If they say "No" the first time ask them for their reasons in writing and work on getting evidence to dispute those reasons.... in a polite way of course, by doing homework on the pump in question and working out how it's various features will counteract the problems you experience. Those can be psychological problems I believe as well as frequent hypos or persistent highs etc. ie poor time in range results and what you have tried with MDI to overcome those problems.

They might also want you to have completed a DAFNE intensive education course (or similar local alternative) so if you haven't done that it might be worth enquiring. The course educators can sometimes advocate for you with the consultant if they feel a pump would be beneficial, so that can provide a foot in the door.

Personally I don't want or need one at the present time and hope that will always be the case for a variety of reasons but I wish you lots of luck. Just wanted to make you aware that it is rarely a case of simply asking and getting a "Yes" or "No" at that appointment and consultant appointments don't come around too often, so going in prepared with facts and figures and bullet points may be really important to success.
Thanks you for that comprehensive reply

My dsn said I need to go on a dafne before I can see a consultant, so is referring me

Never have seen a consultant

There is a waiting list for consultant and for pumps, so I have started the ball rolling

I’m not sure really about a pump, I have looked into it a few times over the last years and always am put off. But the results seem to improve bs levels

I have asked the dsn to check out for me, if I self funded if then the nhs support with insulin and other items do she is checking g that out

This doesn't sound right if you have neuropathy it's normally in both limbs, so insist on further investigations.
Thank you. I must admit I was never sure about the diagnosis, but they did blood tests, that showed nothing, so neuropathy was her conclusion. I always presumed it would start in your toes. It’s been a year now, it’s so hard to get appointments at our surgery. I’ll speak to my dsn about it, luckily I am able to email her, if not see her face to face

I am another one using the closed loop with the 780G and I love it.

It has transformed my life. like @drfaustus I no longer have to be thinking about my diabetes all the time. The pump and sensor check in with each other every 5 min and just get on with their job. I have to get involved around meals/snacks telling the pump what carbs I am eating. For extended exercise I find I need to trickle in a small amount of carbs without telling the pump and I make use of the temporary targets.

There are a few of us on here who have shared tips about the system to make it work for our own circumstance. if you choose this pump have a look at the 780G users.

Any questions do ask.
Thank you, I think it all sounds like a slow process so I’ll keep you posted

Thank you. I must admit I was never sure about the diagnosis, but they did blood tests, that showed nothing, so neuropathy was her conclusion. I always presumed it would start in your toes. It’s been a year now, it’s so hard to get appointments at our surgery. I’ll speak to my dsn about it, luckily I am able to email her, if not see her face to face
Sounds like a lazy GP to me, giving a bog standard diagnoses of it's your diabetes. When I had problems with numbness and pins and needles on one side only I was sent for a scan, which showed I had lesions on my spinal cord (MS)

Pumps can be a lot of hard work, but if you are prepared to put the effort in then they usually bring rewards. My daughter has had pumps since a week after she was diagnosed (there was a trial going on comparing MDI with pumps in newly diagnosed children). For the first 8 years she had a standalone pump (and no sensors at all for the first 4 years) and we liked that and did OK with it. 3 years ago she started using the T-Slim with Dexcom, although it was only switching basal off for lows and doing nothing for highs at first. That in itself was amazing for us. We finally switched to fully looping in December, and the difference has been incredible, hardly any Dexcom alerts at all and the last HbA1c was 41 and time in range 92%, neither of which I thought was possible. However, since June we have been having hypo after hypo and I’ve had to keep dropping basal down, tweaking ratios, dropping basal down again, etc etc and just this week we seem to be finally getting there and are back to hardly any alerts. I’m probably a bit too cautious, I think our DSN would be much more gung ho and drop it down in much bigger chunks!

So please don’t expect pumping to be a magic fix, you do still have to enter your carbs at mealtimes to enable it to calculate the bolus dose, and it won’t be perfect all the time, but if you do your research and go into it with your eyes open then you should be able to expect good things. Very few people who have switched to pumps ever want to change back. Good luck 🙂

Pumps can be a lot of hard work, but if you are prepared to put the effort in then they usually bring rewards. My daughter has had pumps since a week after she was diagnosed (there was a trial going on comparing MDI with pumps in newly diagnosed children). For the first 8 years she had a standalone pump (and no sensors at all for the first 4 years) and we liked that and did OK with it. 3 years ago she started using the T-Slim with Dexcom, although it was only switching basal off for lows and doing nothing for highs at first. That in itself was amazing for us. We finally switched to fully looping in December, and the difference has been incredible, hardly any Dexcom alerts at all and the last HbA1c was 41 and time in range 92%, neither of which I thought was possible. However, since June we have been having hypo after hypo and I’ve had to keep dropping basal down, tweaking ratios, dropping basal down again, etc etc and just this week we seem to be finally getting there and are back to hardly any alerts. I’m probably a bit too cautious, I think our DSN would be much more gung ho and drop it down in much bigger chunks!

So please don’t expect pumping to be a magic fix, you do still have to enter your carbs at mealtimes to enable it to calculate the bolus dose, and it won’t be perfect all the time, but if you do your research and go into it with your eyes open then you should be able to expect good things. Very few people who have switched to pumps ever want to change back. Good luck 🙂
Thank you

So good to hear people’s experiences hope all stays on track for your daughter. Believe me, I go into this with eyes wide open. I’ve been carb counting for 11 years and still having trouble carbs and Cals app is brilliant and at home I weigh everything, but I know things don’t stay constant, that’s a lot of my problem a few months of good numbers then my bs goes crazy. Has been doing this since I was menopausal, but I just want to be on an even keel. Have suspected beginnings of glaucoma, so need to be as close to perfect as I can. I know this is not going to be a quick fix but am a bit ocd, I record everything I eat. Am prepared to put in the work. Life if just too short, husband was seriously ill last year- very serious- so you have to make the most of every day, and I feel that includes my bs! sure dafne will be fun and sure I will learn things even after all these years

Sounds like a lazy GP to me, giving a bog standard diagnoses of it's your diabetes. When I had problems with numbness and pins and needles on one side only I was sent for a scan, which showed I had lesions on my spinal cord (MS)
She is actually one of the better ones, maybe not as experience in diabetes as she needs to be. As OH was ill last year I probably have not been so concerned with myself. Wishing you well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back