Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlisonM

Much missed Moderator
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Just out of curiosity, how many of us have been milk addicts? And does anyone know why?

How much is too much? For instance I was getting through two litres a day before I was diagnosed.

Last edited:
I dont like milk, I only have a tiny bit in coffee/tea and just enough to wet my cereal.

I like milk but i drink more water then milk these days, even before diagnosis i was not drinking alot, i find it does not quench my thirst half a glass a day is enough for me and on my weetabix

I don't like to drink milk, I will only have it on cereals occsionally. Milk is not something that we buy when we got shopping as a regular thing, will have a specififc use in mind if we buy it.

I have a splsh of skimmed milk on my tea and some on my cereals. I do sometimes buy a small bottle of whole milk to drink, but it is a treat and only fancy it once in a while. Since hubby has a dairy intolerance I also buy soys for baking and making sauces with.

yes i was drinking way too much milk before diagnosis - 2 litre usually each day.

I was drinking between four and six pints of milk a day before diagnosis. I drank it because it was nice and cool and had flavour rather than water. It still didn't quite quench my thirst though!

Since diagnosis I don't drink it on its own as it would raise my levels :( I still have it in tea and on cereal. I've only drunk skimmed milk for years now - once you get used to it even 1% milk tastes too fatty!😱

I've only drunk skimmed milk for years now - once you get used to it even 1% milk tastes too fatty!😱

I notice that even with a splash of semiskimmed milk in my tea instead of skimmed milk.

In my teens I used to have a pint of cold milk (full fat) after a session of squash (the sport, not the drink!).

These days, I find that it gives me stomach ache if I try and drink that much in one go.

Now, I'm a semi-skimmed type of person usually on porridge and in coffee/tea and get through a pint or so every two or three days.

Don't see the point of skimmed milk! It's just white water as far as I'm concerned!! 😛

Andy

Love milk but never over indulged prior to diagnosis.

Don't drink it at all now, just a dash of semi skimmed for my cereal.

Tap water all the way baby!

I like a glass of semi skinned milk occasionally but like others have said it doesn't quench your thirst x

I have always loved drinking milk nice and cold in the summer.

I don't drink it much any more as it gives me sinus though.

I like a glass of semi skinned milk occasionally but like others have said it doesn't quench your thirst x

Milk is addictive because its main component, casein, breaks down with digestion into an opiate called casomorphine. Stimulates the pleasure centres of the brain. Cheese is addictive for the same reason and so is milk chocolate.

Although it is surprising to hear T1s say they are addicted to milk because exposure to cows milk is thought to be a trigger for T1 diabetes.

Thought it was just me at the time! but yea before diagnosis had a massive craving would drink at least 2 pints a day!!

Milk is addictive because its main component, casein, breaks down with digestion into an opiate called casomorphine. Stimulates the pleasure centres of the brain. Cheese is addictive for the same reason and so is milk chocolate.

Although it is surprising to hear T1s say they are addicted to milk because exposure to cows milk is thought to be a trigger for T1 diabetes.

Now I have justification for my cheese addiction there will be no stopping me. Especially as it is carb free - pity about the calories and cholesterol.

Now I have justification for my cheese addiction there will be no stopping me. Especially as it is carb free - pity about the calories and cholesterol.

Stick to chocolate - it has the same chemical in that is released in the brain during orgasm - may be that's why some women say they would prefer a box of chocolates🙂

I NEVER knew that about milk and cheese!! My son eats TONS of cheese!! And ALWAYS ALWAYS has a glass of milk after eating chocolate. Obviously the chocolate's not enough for him on it's own, lol. :D

xx

I wouldn't say it was a milk addiction but I was drinking more milk prior to diagnosis, but it was deliberate. I was aware I was losing weight and was concerned that could mean calcium loss from my bones - so I was drinking the milk to protect my bones - if that makes sense. At least it was a bette choice than lots of full sugar lemonade.

I wouldn't say it was a milk addiction but I was drinking more milk prior to diagnosis, but it was deliberate. I was aware I was losing weight and was concerned that could mean calcium loss from my bones - so I was drinking the milk to protect my bones - if that makes sense. At least it was a bette choice than lots of full sugar lemonade.

I actually thought along similar lines. A couple of years earlier my right femur snapped during a marathon and I thought that the desire for milk was my body's way of letting me know I needed more calcium to build stronger bones.

It is one of the *5* triggers that they *think* adds to why someone becomes type 1.🙂Bev

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back