Metformin Side Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the sake of future members who may be mislead by the above advice, here is the list of side effects from Metformin according top the Mayo Clinic where some of the rare ones I have just had.

Side Effects​

Drug information provided by: Merative, Micromedex®

Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:

More common​

1. Abdominal or stomach discomfort
  2. cough or hoarseness
  3. decreased appetite
  4. diarrhea
  5. fast or shallow breathing
  6. fever or chills
  7. general feeling of discomfort
  8. lower back or side pain
  9. muscle pain or cramping
  10. painful or difficult urination
  11. sleepiness

Less common​

1. Anxiety
  2. blurred vision
  3. chest discomfort
  4. cold sweats
  5. coma
  6. confusion
  7. cool, pale skin
  8. depression
  9. difficult or labored breathing
  10. dizziness
  11. fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
  12. feeling of warmth
  13. headache
  14. increased hunger
  15. increased sweating
  16. nausea
  17. nervousness
  18. nightmares
  19. redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
  20. seizures
  21. shakiness
  22. slurred speech
  23. tightness in the chest
  24. unusual tiredness or weakness

Rare​

1. Behavior change similar to being drunk
  2. difficulty with concentrating
  3. drowsiness
  4. lack or loss of strength
  5. restless sleep
  6. unusual sleepiness
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:

More common​

1. Acid or sour stomach
  2. belching
  3. bloated
  4. excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
  5. full feeling
  6. heartburn
  7. indigestion
  8. loss of appetite
  9. metallic taste in the mouth
  10. passing of gas
  11. stomachache
  12. stomach upset or pain
  13. vomiting
  14. weight loss

Less common​

1. Abnormal stools
  2. bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
  3. change in taste
  4. difficulty with moving
  5. discoloration of the fingernails or toenails
  6. flu-like symptoms
  7. joint pain
  8. rash
  9. sneezing
  10. stuffy or runny nose
  11. swollen joints
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.
OMG that's a big list!

I take Sitagliptin which does the same job as Metformin and has very few side effects. I’ve never suffered any of them.

I take Sitagliptin which does the same job as Metformin and has very few side effects. I’ve never suffered any of them.

That drug is very different to Metformin and works in a completely different way.

I don't think it is quite the same as it encourages the pancreas to produce more insulin which metformin doesn't.

That drug is very different to Metformin and works in a completely different way.
I was under the impression it was helping my pancreas to produce its own insulin again. Is that different to Metformin? I’m not being argumentative, just interested and always want to learn.

There should be a patient information leaflet, with the medications people are prescribed!

I was under the impression it was helping my pancreas to produce its own insulin again. Is that different to Metformin? I’m not being argumentative, just interested and always want to learn.
Metformin helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the output of glucose by the liver, it does not make the pancreas produce more insulin which is what medications like gliclazide and the gliptins do.
People may take both medication so that the insulin the pancreas is then able to produce can be used more effectively and reduce insulin resistance.

Metformin helps the body use the insulin it produces more effectively and reduces the output of glucose by the liver, it does not make the pancreas produce more insulin which is what medications like gliclazide and the gliptins do.
People may take both medication so that the insulin the pancreas is then able to produce can be used more effectively and reduce insulin resistance.
Thank you for explaining. It’s good to know where I’ve gone wrong rather than just being told I’m wrong 🙂

I shall gracefully bow out of this conversation.

Yes, totally different. Metformin can make cells more sensitive to insulin, slows down glucose production from the liver and it’s also thought it might affect how carbs are digested.

Sitagliptin basically stops the body from breaking down hormones that suppress sugar release and stimulate insulin release, leading to more insulin being released and less glucose being released. (These hormones don’t last long and are broken down very quickly under normal circumstances, this drug inhibits this breakdown.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back