Metformin Side Effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

She Is Complicated

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Pronouns
She/Her
I've been on Metformin now for about 1.5 weeks or so. Just doubled the dose as was recommended.

Before diagnosis, though I already have several fatigue and pain conditions, the fatigue from the raised blood sugar was extreme and my hope was that this symptom of diabetes (type 2) would be alleviated somewhat by the medication and lifestyle changes.

It's way too early for any lifestyle changes to kick in and I am make them gradually.

I'm going to make a couple of posts in the next days about concerns, but right now I feel so ill on the Metformin.

Currently I take the following medications:

• Dihydrocodeine
  • Naproxen
  • Diazepam
  • Lansoprazole
  • Sandrena (Estrogen)
The symptoms I have are a different kind of fatigue - since being on the medication I am perhaps passing out on the sofa less, but I have much greater weakness in my body which was already very weak due to comorbidities.

I also have this strange headache like I have a flu, but it's unlikely I have a flu because I hardly see anyone due to isolation.

I just feel so generally unwell.

From what I have read, the normal side effects are GI, like nausea and though I do have some of that, it's the brain fog, headache and fatigue that are doing me in.

Is this normal? I have an appointment with my GP on Wednesday and will discuss, but have to return to work (working from home due to disability) the next Monday. Scared I'll be like this then.

People do get various side effects from the metformin when they increase the dose but it can settle down but for others a different medication might be better. So definitely speak to your GP asap
In the meantime keep well hydrated and try to reduce your carbs as that is needed with metformin.

Hi. Metformin has very few side effects other than bowel upset if not on the Slow Release (SR) version. You can also have taste upset. I suspect the other meds you are taking would be the main suspects. Do review them with the GP and see whether any could have reduced dosage.

Hi. Metformin has very few side effects other than bowel upset if not on the Slow Release (SR) version. You can also have taste upset. I suspect the other meds you are taking would be the main suspects. Do review them with the GP and see whether any could have reduced dosage.
What is a taste upset?

Just to reply to you with the same link showing that there are a lot of side effects according the the Mayo clinic, but that they are rare. https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements/metformin-oral-route/side-effects/drg-20067074

People do get various side effects from the metformin when they increase the dose but it can settle down but for others a different medication might be better. So definitely speak to your GP asap
In the meantime keep well hydrated and try to reduce your carbs as that is needed with metformin.

Sorry to message again. When you say reduce carbs as this is needed with Metformin, isn't it the case that reducing carbs is needed to control blood sugar rather than anything to do with side effects or complications with the medication?

I am still talking to 111 and a Doctor there was concerned that I might be hypo from the Metformin, so said I needed to be seen to check it and other vitals.

Sorry to message again. When you say reduce carbs as this is needed with Metformin, isn't it the case that reducing carbs is needed to control blood sugar rather than anything to do with side effects or complications with the medication?

I am still talking to 111 and a Doctor there was concerned that I might be hypo from the Metformin, so said I needed to be seen to check it and other vitals.
I meant that even though you were taking metformin you would still need to be reducing carbohydrates to have much impact on blood glucose.
Taste upset can refer to the fact that some people find they get a metallic taste and foods can taste different.

So the Doctor came and agreed with me that the symptoms I have been experiencing are likely side effects from Metformin.

Further, after telling him that I had high ALT in my liver (very high right now at 190), Metformin should not be prescribed in the first place!

This may leave me without the option of the only medication on the market that doesn't have the potential to induce weight gain and hypoglycaemia.

Scared and angry. Mainly scared.

So the Doctor came and agreed with me that the symptoms I have been experiencing are likely side effects from Metformin.

Further, after telling him that I had high ALT in my liver (very high right now at 190), Metformin should not be prescribed in the first place!

This may leave me without the option of the only medication on the market that doesn't have the potential to induce weight gain and hypoglycaemia.

Scared and angry. Mainly scared.
At least you now have an explanation but I'm not sure where you get the idea that other medications cause weight gain. Yes some of the other medication options have 'the potential' to cause low blood glucose but following the appropriate dietary regime in conjunction with the meds then hypos would be not usual especially when you still have high blood glucose.
It is something to discuss with your GP, they would normally get the report from the 111 call.
I assume they told you not to take any more metformin and that will help you to start to feel better.

At least you now have an explanation but I'm not sure where you get the idea that other medications cause weight gain. Yes some of the other medication options have 'the potential' to cause low blood glucose but following the appropriate dietary regime in conjunction with the meds then hypos would be not usual especially when you still have high blood glucose.
It is something to discuss with your GP, they would normally get the report from the 111 call.
I assume they told you not to take any more metformin and that will help you to start to feel better.
That's right the Doctor told me not to take any more Metformin.

As for how I have the idea that other medications can cause weight gain and induce hypos, it's the Doctor who came to visit me this evening.

He also said that they never should have prescribed it to me due to my liver condition, so that was a shock too.

Not having access to what is for most, the first line and least complicating treatment is a shock and the extent of the potential is unclear to me. If you are saying the potential is low (as indicated by your inverted commas), the Doctor did not say that to me.

I am already managing a huge amount with regards to my health and am disabled by a pain condition and have complications with other medications, so more complexity is also a shock.

You mention diet and its importance in managing diabetes, which is of course very true.

If now, I have to be extra careful due to not being able to take Metformin, then that is also a shock.

My GP surgery have been cruel and incompetent since joining them this year, so having to rely on them for nuanced care is also a shock. I haven't even seen a Doctor at the surgery yet, only a clinical Pharmacist.

Last edited:
I felt really ill taking Metformin and Atorvastatin, I gave up taking them after about 5 weeks, but I was able to manage my blood glucose very easily, lost weight and felt a lot better than I had for years simply by not eating the high carb foods I had been pushed to eat for ages, despite me explaining that they made me feel unwell.
Now 7 years later I am still just at the top end of normal HbA1c and enjoying the up to 40 gm of carbs a day. I eat twice a day at 12 hour intervals, approximately, and I believe that at first I was actually producing too much insulin - it was just being ignored, so I have never needed medication, just the right diet.

I felt really ill taking Metformin and Atorvastatin, I gave up taking them after about 5 weeks, but I was able to manage my blood glucose very easily, lost weight and felt a lot better than I had for years simply by not eating the high carb foods I had been pushed to eat for ages, despite me explaining that they made me feel unwell.
Now 7 years later I am still just at the top end of normal HbA1c and enjoying the up to 40 gm of carbs a day. I eat twice a day at 12 hour intervals, approximately, and I believe that at first I was actually producing too much insulin - it was just being ignored, so I have never needed medication, just the right diet.
I read your approach to managing Type 2 diabetes without medication with interest. It's insightful to see the range of strategies different people use in their diabetes management.

In my situation, however, managing Type 2 diabetes is significantly more complex due to my concurrent health issues. I am grappling with chronic pain that has led to a disability, primarily stemming from spondylolisthesis, along with other conditions. This interplay of health challenges profoundly influences my diabetes management strategy.

Diet and lifestyle changes are undoubtedly important, but in my case, they are just one piece of a larger puzzle. My health scenario necessitates a careful balancing of various medications and their interactions, especially considering their overall impact on my health and disability.

I want to highlight that while some may find managing diabetes without medication feasible, for others like me, with a backdrop of multiple severe health issues, medication becomes an essential part of the treatment plan. Unfortunately, typical treatments such as Metformin aren't suitable for me due to my liver condition, adding to the complexity.

Managing diabetes is not a one-size-fits-all scenario, especially in more complicated health contexts like mine. While I respect your method and find it valuable, it's crucial to acknowledge that what may be straightforward for one can be a significant challenge for another. Our shared experiences in this forum are important as they emphasise the need for personalised healthcare approaches that take into account the full spectrum of an individual's health challenges.

@She Is Complicated I'd like to emphasise that the sum total of my strategy is to stop consuming high carb foods.
That is it.

It seems so simple to me.

@She Is Complicated I'd like to emphasise that the sum total of my strategy is to stop consuming high carb foods.
That is it.

It seems so simple to me.
Thank you for sharing more about your strategy. It's great that you've found a simple and effective approach that works well for you.

I want to reiterate, however, that managing diabetes, especially in the context of multiple health issues like chronic pain, disability from spondylolisthesis, and a significant liver condition, can be incredibly complex. While reducing high-carb foods is beneficial and part of my strategy too, the impact of diabetes and its management on my overall health involves many more considerations.

Each person's health journey is unique, with different challenges and solutions. What might seem straightforward for one can be intricate and multi-layered for another. This is particularly true in cases where a condition like diabetes intersects with other serious health issues.

I appreciate your input and the simplicity of your approach. It's a valuable reminder of the power of dietary changes in diabetes management. However, in complex health scenarios like mine, a multifaceted approach that goes beyond diet is often necessary to adequately address all health concerns.

It's important for all of us in this community to acknowledge and respect the diversity in our health experiences and the approaches we take to manage them.

For the sake of future members who may be mislead by the above advice, here is the list of side effects from Metformin according top the Mayo Clinic where some of the rare ones I have just had.

Side Effects​

Drug information provided by: Merative, Micromedex®

Along with its needed effects, a medicine may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.

Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur:

More common​

1. Abdominal or stomach discomfort
  2. cough or hoarseness
  3. decreased appetite
  4. diarrhea
  5. fast or shallow breathing
  6. fever or chills
  7. general feeling of discomfort
  8. lower back or side pain
  9. muscle pain or cramping
  10. painful or difficult urination
  11. sleepiness

Less common​

1. Anxiety
  2. blurred vision
  3. chest discomfort
  4. cold sweats
  5. coma
  6. confusion
  7. cool, pale skin
  8. depression
  9. difficult or labored breathing
  10. dizziness
  11. fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
  12. feeling of warmth
  13. headache
  14. increased hunger
  15. increased sweating
  16. nausea
  17. nervousness
  18. nightmares
  19. redness of the face, neck, arms, and occasionally, upper chest
  20. seizures
  21. shakiness
  22. slurred speech
  23. tightness in the chest
  24. unusual tiredness or weakness

Rare​

1. Behavior change similar to being drunk
  2. difficulty with concentrating
  3. drowsiness
  4. lack or loss of strength
  5. restless sleep
  6. unusual sleepiness
Some side effects may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:

More common​

1. Acid or sour stomach
  2. belching
  3. bloated
  4. excess air or gas in the stomach or intestines
  5. full feeling
  6. heartburn
  7. indigestion
  8. loss of appetite
  9. metallic taste in the mouth
  10. passing of gas
  11. stomachache
  12. stomach upset or pain
  13. vomiting
  14. weight loss

Less common​

1. Abnormal stools
  2. bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
  3. change in taste
  4. difficulty with moving
  5. discoloration of the fingernails or toenails
  6. flu-like symptoms
  7. joint pain
  8. rash
  9. sneezing
  10. stuffy or runny nose
  11. swollen joints
Other side effects not listed may also occur in some patients. If you notice any other effects, check with your healthcare professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back