Metformin - Is it slow to start working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did a similar thing - cut carbs to < 50, but I didn't test for 3 months.

I had a free Libre sensor, so I put that one just before the next hba1c and could see everything was normal with the food I was eating.

I have no idea where this 130g figure comes from - probably made up - but the amount of carbs you can eat probably depends on level of insulin resistance and the amount of beta cells still functioning. I suspect if I had 40g of carbs per meal, then my hba1c would shoot back up again. I very rarely go over 20g per meal.

@Kevin Marx
It's often recommended to purchase a glucose meter so that you can test before & after a meal, to see exactly what effect that particular meal has on you. Do this for the same meal at least a couple of times as it's possible to be affected differently at different times. I recently took a free trial of the Libre 2 CGM & that's been quite an eye opener, as it shows the complete glucose rise & fall (including peak), rather than just providing before & after snapshots.

You only get a single sensor that lasts 14 days, two of which will probably be a bit erratic as it settles in. But if you diligently record all meals & levels over that period, it will give you valuable information going forward. Abbott's is probably one of the worst web sites out there & the sign-up is truly painful. I gave up last time I tried but wanted another go as I've just stopped insulin altogether & wanted a better understanding of exactly what was going on since.

I now think all newly diagnosed T2s should try the Libre. For those determined to make the necessary changes it's an invaluable tool. I also suspect some of those less motivated might also be shocked into action by a Time in Range graph, rather than a series on numbers on a meter.

I also suspect some of those less motivated might also be shocked into action by a Time in Range graph, rather than a series on numbers on a meter.
I suspect that even more so for those T1s who have allowed time to overtake their awareness of recent tech and now can't be bothered to take on CGM. I have a cousin (c. 50 yrs T1) who won't adapt, despite lengthy periods of limited managed control.

I did a similar thing - cut carbs to < 50, but I didn't test for 3 months.

I had a free Libre sensor, so I put that one just before the next hba1c and could see everything was normal with the food I was eating.

I have no idea where this 130g figure comes from - probably made up - but the amount of carbs you can eat probably depends on level of insulin resistance and the amount of beta cells still functioning. I suspect if I had 40g of carbs per meal, then my hba1c would shoot back up again. I very rarely go over 20g per meal.
It is thought that the adult Human brain requires 130gm of glucose a day to function - but of course, recommending that we eat that amount of carbohydrate every single day without fail is how to flag up ignorance of Human metabolism.

Just had metformin slow release added to my prescription and has taken over a week to get the benefit of it.

I suspect that even more so for those T1s who have allowed time to overtake their awareness of recent tech and now can't be bothered to take on CGM. I have a cousin (c. 50 yrs T1) who won't adapt, despite lengthy periods of limited managed control.
I am delighted to adjust this observation - my cousin has now got Libre 2 and my concern for his former stance is removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back