Meter Reading - confused and concerned - would really appreciate advice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
I was diagnosed pre-diabetes in early December and bought myself a meter (initial HbA1c of 42 - so just borderline). I thought I'd get Christmas out way before starting checking but generally have been cutting right down on carbs. I took a test reading yesterday mid afternoon just to get used to it and score was 5.6. Ate normally, small snack before bed. Tested upon waking at 7.00 am and my reading was 2.5! I re-did it just to check. This appears to be to be very, very low on what I have been reading. I ate a bit of breakfast and my level has gone up to 6.5 (9.00 am) and I feel fine. I always feel rubbish on waking up (obviously never tested my sugars before) and wonder if this is why. TBH I didn't feel any more unwell this morning than I always do...…………. (I never really sleep much and guess this doesn't help). Do you think I need to report this to the Dr - fearing he may be cross I bought a meter, as I was only borderline!!

Yes mention it to the doctor. I wouldn't care if he is cross at that. I would say it seems you must be diabetic for a reading so low as it is not normally for a non D person to get that low. And if you are self funding it's up to you.

Also it would explain why you felt rubbish this morning, and possibly every morning. I suggest testing for a few mornings and seeing if theres a pattern.

Do you know how to treat a hypo (that low level result)?

Yes mention it to the doctor. I wouldn't care if he is cross at that. I would say it seems you must be diabetic for a reading so low as it is not normally for a non D person to get that low. And if you are self funding it's up to you.

Also it would explain why you felt rubbish this morning, and possibly every morning. I suggest testing for a few mornings and seeing if theres a pattern.

Do you know how to treat a hypo (that low level result)?
Thanks, Phoebe. Yes, I will keep checking in the mornings. Going back to Dr in Feb, but if it keeps being that low I will make an appointment before. I think I will put a snack by my bed to have in middle night as well. I am going to buy some dextrose tablets, but I thought until then maybe some darkchocolate if I feel bad ( not sure, what do you suggest). This is all very new to me. On reflection there have been so many times over the years when I have felt very fatigued, shaky and sweaty, but I thought it was just my age. I am wondering now if I am actually diabetic and it is all connected. I have no "risk factors" ( am not overweight etc) so had never really considered it

Hi. Chocolate is not a good idea for a hypo treatment as the fat in it slows down the sugar absorption. However it may help keep your levels up. I often have some nuts or a gingernut or two if my levels before bed are not high enough for safety .

It might be a good idea to set your alarm for around 3 am to see what is happening , this is a time when our BG is often at it’s lowest.

Don’t worry about what the Gp says about you testing, , it’s your body you are looking after , your paying for the strips not the practice and I bet that if the Gp developed T2 s/he would test themselves.
Many of us develope the nod and smile technique when dealing with people including medics who tell us not to do what we actually find works for us or is helpful.

This is so helpful. Thank you. I have a lot to learn ! " Nod and smile".... Will practice ! I'm going to check at 3 am for a few mornings and see what it is. Would a snack before bed be a good idea ? I haven't checked me levels at that time yet.

Hello @Talbothays Tess and a slightly belated welcome to the forum 🙂

I wonder whether you might have Reactive Hypoglycaemia - a condition which basically causes hypos in people who are not on insulin (or other meds which might cause them). My partner R has it and he used to wake up hypo (he'd often get up really early - maybe 3am or so - and get breakfast because he was so hungry).

He's found the things which help him manage the conditon best are to a) cut sugary carbs as much as possible (which is something you'd probably want to do anyway, if you want to get your HbA1c down a bit and avoid diabetes); b) eat little and often, not big meals; c) eat extra fibre - he has some inulin every day; and d) eat a fatty snack at bedtime - he has a yogurt and it's made a big difference to his ability to not wake up starving - because the fat slows down the sugar a fatty snack lasts longer than a carby one. He also keeps a biscuit by his bed so if he does wake up in the night he can eat something without having to get up, so that hopefully he can get back to sleep.

So far as treating hypos are concerned, as Lyn says, chocolate is not suitable. R carries dried fruit around with him, and that works for him, or you could try a little fruit juice, or a jelly baby. The main thing, when you're trying to avoid diabetes, is not to overdo it! - it's really easy to get the hypo munchies and end up with your blood sugar going too far in the other direction ... 🙄 Just test again about 15 minutes after treating to make sure your blood sugar's gone up over 4, and then maybe have a small biscuit if you still feel you need something.

I wonder whether you might have Reactive Hypoglycaemia - a condition which basically causes hypos in people who are not on insulin (or other meds which might cause them). My partner R has it and he used to wake up hypo (he'd often get up really early - maybe 3am or so - and get breakfast because he was so hungry).

He's found the things which help him manage the conditon best are to a) cut sugary carbs as much as possible (which is something you'd probably want to do anyway, if you want to get your HbA1c down a bit and avoid diabetes); b) eat little and often, not big meals; c) eat extra fibre - he has some inulin every day; and d) eat a fatty snack at bedtime - he has a yogurt and it's made a big difference to his ability to not wake up starving - because the fat slows down the sugar a fatty snack lasts longer than a carby one. He also keeps a biscuit by his bed so if he does wake up in the night he can eat something without having to get up, so that hopefully he can get back to sleep.

So far as treating hypos are concerned, as Lyn says, chocolate is not suitable. R carries dried fruit around with him, and that works for him, or you could try a little fruit juice, or a jelly baby. The main thing, when you're trying to avoid diabetes, is not to overdo it! - it's really easy to get the hypo munchies and end up with your blood sugar going too far in the other direction ... 🙄 Just test again about 15 minutes after treating to make sure your blood sugar's gone up over 4, and then maybe have a small biscuit if you still feel you need something.

This is brilliant, thank you ! I will try all these suggestions. Strange thing, but my Nana always told me I should eat little and often. She always carried a sweet in her pocket, just in case needed. Thus was back in the 60 s( perhaps she was right, way back then ). Thank you once again

Yes chocolate is too slow for hypos so either glucose tabs which arnt the nicest or a few sweets you like. Most people go with jelly babies but I like wine guns ha!

With Diabetes, perfecting the ‘nod and smile’ is an essential part of our training, as GPS and othe HCPs are often not as clued up as we would like.

Having said that I ended up at out of hours GP services on Sunday and was very pleased with the GP who on finding mild ketones in a urine sample simply said, well that is not a surprise if you have been battling an infection today. She also commented that it will be a lot harder managing levels whilst the infection settles. There are some who really do understand. My nod and smile was very genuine on that occasion!

Nod and smile is fine if that's the service you expect back.
But a word of warning to temper the advice.
It is a double edged sword.
A HCP will soon realise you don't want to hear anything you don't want to, and soon move onto patients they can help.
They are hard enough pressed for time already.

So, it may be very good if you already have everything you need, and know everything you need to manage your diabetes personally, and don't believe the NHS can help you.

I found my care was excellent, they gave me the correct advice, which doesn't always agree with the internet, they gave me the tools I needed, including a meter, and I worked with them to lose weight with their dieticians, and reverse my type 2.
I did discuss maybe things with them, and I did ask for more information, and I did ask what their reasons for deciding things were.
Equally they reacted on the same way, and asked me questions back.
The NHS is a very good tool, personally I think it's one worth using.

I think it depends on the HCPs attitude though.

When last in hospital they took my hba1c which had dropped from 88 to 64 and told me that I was disgusting, going to lose my limbs and die because I must be stuffing my face "with sweeties and cake all the time" and the reduction in numbers was the metformin only and I should have been diabetes free by then if I really tried.

It had been less than two months since I was diagnosed.

They refused to accept the difficulties I have due to other disabilities with preparing food and needing to eat with meds expecting me to eat a cracker to line my stomach (not enough to line the stomach for 400mg of Ibruprofen, doing that was why I ended up in hospital with a hole in my stomach) and to start going for long walks/jogging/swimming/the gym (I can't even physically get out of my clothes never mind do those things, which I loved doing and have been forced to give up). It was really upsetting and I left ready to give up.

What was worse was being in a bay with an older lady whose hba1c was over 100 being told she was doing fine and not to worry - she was only worried because she'd heard what had been said to me! (She was type 2 as well).

I was lucky that people here were able to support me and help me to understand that actually getting my numbers down at all was an achievement. I've conditions which I've only really begun to understand effect my blood sugar, sometimes in wierd ways, I'm unwell at the moment mentally and physically and that's effecting my blood sugars a lot for example.

I've met no one here who hasn't viewed type 2 as self inflicted and a waste of their time. My whole family have type 2, including my marathon running sister.

Im currently walking around with my monitor testing at times I don't feel well in case it's my blood sugar and yes sometimes it's showing as high, others very low. I can then look at diet/other factors when looking at results. It does help. I've had times when I've panicked doing it like when I spiked at 10 this morning and someone explained that probably happens naturally so soon after having something to eat, sooner than I've tested before (they're right, two hours after eating my levels are fine, and before they were a little low but not hypo low).

Nod and smile is fine if that's the service you expect back.
But a word of warning to temper the advice.
It is a double edged sword.
A HCP will soon realise you don't want to hear anything you don't want to, and soon move onto patients they can help.
They are hard enough pressed for time already.

So, it may be very good if you already have everything you need, and know everything you need to manage your diabetes personally, and don't believe the NHS can help you.

I found my care was excellent, they gave me the correct advice, which doesn't always agree with the internet, they gave me the tools I needed, including a meter, and I worked with them to lose weight with their dieticians, and reverse my type 2.
I did discuss maybe things with them, and I did ask for more information, and I did ask what their reasons for deciding things were.
Equally they reacted on the same way, and asked me questions back.
The NHS is a very good tool, personally I think it's one worth using.

The only involvement I have regarding my Diabetes at the GP is to have my feet checked and annual blood and urine checks done. They are happy to do these as they get points and you know what points mean. It also ups their standing on the National Diabetes Audit. For all of this they are great and keep a watchful eye over me. They say themselves that they cannot advise me on my pump management, and that is done at the hospital.

My negative experiences are from when I see HCPs for other reasons and in the process I get given ‘advice about my diabetes’. That is when my smile and nod comes in useful.

Like you I am keen to avoid wasting any time available with the NHS, which is an excellent and valuable service, and do so on all occasions, managing my condition myself wherever possible.

Low BG levels aren't associated with the classic forms of diabetes - high blood glucose is the diagnostic feature.
Low BG is certainly something to be investigated, and your situation really does flag up just how wrong not testing can be. Your Hba1c reading can look better than it might, as you have such low levels they have to be 'balanced' by high ones.

Low BG levels aren't associated with the classic forms of diabetes - high blood glucose is the diagnostic feature.
Low BG is certainly something to be investigated, and your situation really does flag up just how wrong not testing can be. Your Hba1c reading can look better than it might, as you have such low levels they have to be 'balanced' by high ones.
Thank you, Drummer. This is all new to me, but that was my first thought when I realised the Hba1c was an "average". I haven't had anything higher than 7 come up at all yet, but am still in early days of testing. I have, however, already changed my diet and cut right down on carbs. Thank you for your comments

I had the shakes and low feeling for decades before being diagnosed type 2. I didn't look after myself though and wouldn't eat or drink all day then come home after work shaking and wobbly before starting a binge of eating that would last till I went to bed. Crazy. I still find it hard to drink, I have to make myself. I also sometimes can go all day without going to the loo. You just wouldn't know I was diabetic I don't think. I must have had low bg like you.

Thank you, Drummer. This is all new to me, but that was my first thought when I realised the Hba1c was an "average". I haven't had anything higher than 7 come up at all yet, but am still in early days of testing. I have, however, already changed my diet and cut right down on carbs. Thank you for your comments

Have you had your iron level and B12 level checked?

I've met no one here who hasn't viewed type 2 as self inflicted and a waste of their time. My whole family have type 2, including my marathon running sister.

Well, whilst I'd class my own T2 diabetes as self-inflicted (over-weight, atrocious diet full of sugary drinks and chocolate - often an entire large Aero bar in an afternoon...), I'd never _ever_ make that claim of anyone else. Having read a couple of your other posts, it seems obvious to me that your T2 is way more complicated than most people's - and if your whole family has it, that does rather strongly point towards a genetic thing.

As others have said - the NHS does seem to be a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to T2 diabetes; conflicting advice, or little/no support (I've not had a HbA1c test - or ANY contact with the doctor or diabetic nurse, other than a foot exam - since my initial test in March 2018). I've no idea if this is because they're run off their feet around here (? Wirral area), or whether my point blank refusal to be prescribed medication makes me a "problem case: to be avoided". I also got the standard "eat the NHS approved balanced diet (the one with plenty of rice, potatoes and bread in it), and don't bother with a blood meter" advice... so I've pretty much ignored everything I got told... maybe that's it...

I'm sorry, I can't offer you any practical advice for your condition, my knowledge is but a scratch on the surface of the subject, but I'll wish you the very best of luck anyway, and keep posting, especially the little triumphs.

Well done on changing your diet and your testing is showing you the benefits already.
Have you had further hypos, or is the evening snack sorting that?

Have you had your iron level and B12 level checked?
Yes, iron was low and an now taking a multivitamin with iron. Not sure b12 will check (is it covered in a standard blood test). Last two morning readings 5.6, and I checked in middle of night and was fine. I am so glad I got the meter... It is putting my mind at rest if nothing else. And thanks to all on this forum. I am learning so much v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back