Medtronic V Animas 2020- HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sugarbum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hey all!

Had great outcome from my Pump"Pre-Assessment" the other day. Went really well.

However.....!!!! My trust has never had the option of other pumps, contracted until now only with Medtronic. But the Animas 2020 is now on offer as well! (one person has been put on it this year at ours). So I now have the option of either. I was expecting to go with medtronic and was completely happy with that, but this has thrown a real spanner in the works....I am pretty up to date with what medtroinic do, and that Animas main advantage is being waterproof (and a colour screen) but...ARE THERE ANY ANIMAS 2020 USERS OUT THERE WHO CAN TELL ME WHAT THEY THINK OF THEIR PUMP? :confused:#

Also the picture of colours that medtronic offer is crap, does anyone have any other links other than the website please?

I have time to weigh it all up, and have to email my DSN and she will put my pump order and colour in (V.V excited!)

Thanks in advance for any advice offered, greatly appreciated (and another reason why this forum is so great xx)

Last edited:
Just wanted to say congratulations as can't make any comments on pumps as know nothing about them. Hope someone on the forum can help you with info you need

Sugarbum - i have asked on the childrens forum for you - i will go and check if there is an answer! Bev

Hi Bev
Katie has the Medtronic, mainly because she also has sensors. At the moment, Medtronic is the only pump which can be used with sensors, but I think Animas are close to producing one too.
The screen on the Animas is bigger than the medtronic, and the Animas has smaller increments for basal insulin.
There is a difference with the delivery of insulin, which I am not sure about.
A big factor in making the decision should be what sort of support the pump company offers, and what level of support you will receive from the rep.
When we were choosing a pump, I rang all of the companies with questions etc, and got them to send all their booklets.
Karen, mum to Katie, 12, pumping with sensors

Sugarbum i dont know if this helps but i am sure there will be other answers later on the other forum. Sounds like you need to ring the companies up for more detailed advice.🙂 Bev

If you are insulin sensitive and need very small amounts of insulin then the animas delivers the smallest dose.
Animas also has a Luer lock......... which means you can use which ever infusion sets you want. Medtronic has a patent fitting on it's cartridges so you are stuck with medtronic infusion sets :(
Happy choosing pumping is fab 😎

Hi Bev
Katie has the Medtronic, mainly because she also has sensors. At the moment, Medtronic is the only pump which can be used with sensors, but I think Animas are close to producing one too.
The screen on the Animas is bigger than the medtronic, and the Animas has smaller increments for basal insulin.
There is a difference with the delivery of insulin, which I am not sure about.
A big factor in making the decision should be what sort of support the pump company offers, and what level of support you will receive from the rep.
When we were choosing a pump, I rang all of the companies with questions etc, and got them to send all their booklets.
Karen, mum to Katie, 12, pumping with sensors

Sugarbum i dont know if this helps but i am sure there will be other answers later on the other forum. Sounds like you need to ring the companies up for more detailed advice.🙂 Bev

This is great Bev, thank you sooooo much!

I havent been on here all evening becuase I have just discovered You Tube!!! My DSN told me to check out You Tube for vids on changes of infusion sets and use of pumps etc, and oh my goodness, I didnt realise it was after midnight!! I bet Im the last to cotton onto this but there are so many diabetes pumps vids on there! Very, very useful if anyone else is doing this kind of research too.

It is my (you tube!) understanding that animas have something similar to medtronic, called the "Ping" whereby your monitor acts as a remote and gives an programmed dose without pushing buttons (or as the lady in the video said, "rooting around in your bra for your pump"!). Interesting stuff, but Im not going to look too much into that as the ping isnt being offered to me, its the Animas 2020.

Thanks for your help. Im swaying to Medtronic I think becuase of the Bolus Wizzard, but hey- a girl can change her mind! xx

This is great Bev, thank you sooooo much!

I havent been on here all evening becuase I have just discovered You Tube!!! My DSN told me to check out You Tube for vids on changes of infusion sets and use of pumps etc, and oh my goodness, I didnt realise it was after midnight!! I bet Im the last to cotton onto this but there are so many diabetes pumps vids on there! Very, very useful if anyone else is doing this kind of research too.

It is my (you tube!) understanding that animas have something similar to medtronic, called the "Ping" whereby your monitor acts as a remote and gives an programmed dose without pushing buttons (or as the lady in the video said, "rooting around in your bra for your pump"!). Interesting stuff, but Im not going to look too much into that as the ping isnt being offered to me, its the Animas 2020.

Thanks for your help. Im swaying to Medtronic I think becuase of the Bolus Wizzard, but hey- a girl can change her mind! xx

Animas has the better bolus wizard so I have been informed by people who have used both.
The ping is not available in the UK that's why it hasn't been offered.
Animas also has a food data base. Which allows you to put in all you fav foods.
Ask you DSN if you can try the infusion set that come with the medtronic. If you can not get on with them then you know which pump to go for.

Animas has the better bolus wizard so I have been informed by people who have used both.
The ping is not available in the UK that's why it hasn't been offered.
Animas also has a food data base. Which allows you to put in all you fav foods.
Ask you DSN if you can try the infusion set that come with the medtronic. If you can not get on with them then you know which pump to go for.

Thanks for your reply Sue,
One of the You tube videos goes through the food database, and to be honest (as clever as it is) that could push my patience.

I didnt think the Ping was avaiable as I hadnt heard of it until yesterday, but what an interesting concept? Shows the advances we are now encountering.

To be honest, if I could combine the medtronic with a lovely flat colour screen (the animas shows 9 lines and therefore less scrolling sounds appealing) and perhaps the look of the animas, I'd be happy!

I think you are a pumper sue arent you? what do you use?

Thanks for your reply Sue,
One of the You tube videos goes through the food database, and to be honest (as clever as it is) that could push my patience.

I didnt think the Ping was avaiable as I hadnt heard of it until yesterday, but what an interesting concept? Shows the advances we are now encountering.

To be honest, if I could combine the medtronic with a lovely flat colour screen (the animas shows 9 lines and therefore less scrolling sounds appealing) and perhaps the look of the animas, I'd be happy!

I think you are a pumper sue arent you? what do you use?

Hi Sugarbum, the animas food list is not available in the uk it's a USA thing!(FDA) odd, as Cozmo has a cracking data base . But with the animas you can add foods to make your own list. Not to sure how many use it though.
Give both companies a ring though I bet they will be happy to send a rep to see you with a pump to look at and handle.

I have a Cozmo pump and love it to bits as it does everything under the sun. It even tell me how many carbs to eat if I am hypo 🙂
Shame Smiths medical have decided to pull out of the diabetes market. So the cozmo will be no more once it's garantee has run out.
I'm awaiting with interest the Freestyle Aviator. This is a new pump just been aproved and has a lot of the Cozmo features.

Sue

Last edited:
ahhh....to answer one of my own questions (!) incase anyone is doing the research like me, I found the colours of the Paradigm Medtronic Minimed pump on the american website (the pink isnt in the UK yet) but much, much better pictures to choose from. This is the link incase anyone is interested http://www.minimed.com/products/insulinpumps/features/colors.html

.....after all that, believe it or not my preference I think is the clear see-through one!

Last edited:
I think the see-through one would be better for an adult as you can 'hide' it a bit better than a bright blue or pink one! No offence to anyone with a pink or blue - just personal preference! When do you 'get' it?🙂 Bev

I think the see-through one would be better for an adult as you can 'hide' it a bit better than a bright blue or pink one! No offence to anyone with a pink or blue - just personal preference! When do you 'get' it?🙂 Bev

I think its a really odd choice of colours, especially given the current competition od the Animas 2020 (which I would chose the green, if I went for that one!), glad to know you think the clear is nice. I nearly did a poll! I can always add one of these "skins" features if I get bored of it's appearance.

I am going to email my DSN tonight so she can put the order in whenever she can this week. I have been doing my diabetes homework she gave me, https://pumpschool.minimed.com/index.tpl and I really enjoyed it! It does picture scenarios etc, shows you the format, sadly very enjoyable for my saturday night in last night!

Unfortunately because my DSN is on leave and also has another DAFNE course to teach I dont start for 6 weeks. Start on saline 29th June, so I can just get used to it and fiddle with the buttons etc, then start on insulin the 8th July.
but hey, I have waited this long so thats ok!

What are your thoughts on it all Bev?

Well sugarbum,as you know we are on MDI so i know nothing! But, when we went to the caravan holiday last weekend we saw first hand the medtronic v the animas v the spirit pumps! I have to say that i thought the medtronic seemed to be the pump of choice with the parents as they preferred the sensors etc..Also it seemed quite small and very easy to use - a little 4 year old gave us the run-down!
The time delay in actually going 'on line' with the pump is irrelevant really as you say you have waited a long time so a few weeks wont make a difference - and you need to give yourself time to get your head around it all dont you? I am very excited for you and hopefully, one day, Alex will be going through the same thing and we will be asking you lots of questions! Let us all know when your receive the pump and what it looks/feels like wont you! 🙂 Bev

Well sugarbum,as you know we are on MDI so i know nothing! But, when we went to the caravan holiday last weekend we saw first hand the medtronic v the animas v the spirit pumps! I have to say that i thought the medtronic seemed to be the pump of choice with the parents as they preferred the sensors etc..Also it seemed quite small and very easy to use - a little 4 year old gave us the run-down!
The time delay in actually going 'on line' with the pump is irrelevant really as you say you have waited a long time so a few weeks wont make a difference - and you need to give yourself time to get your head around it all dont you? I am very excited for you and hopefully, one day, Alex will be going through the same thing and we will be asking you lots of questions! Let us all know when your receive the pump and what it looks/feels like wont you! 🙂 Bev

Thats really kind Bev, thanks for those thoughts. I certainly hope its something alex does in the end. Im so excited about it so it must be even better for a younger person than me! I would be happy to tell alex all about it one day!

All very exciting for you. I've watched some of the youtube videos (i love youtube for diabetes videos), and watching someone bolus seemed to take forever, but I've also seem someone test their blood sugar and inject and that took ages too, when in reality that takes less than a minute for me. it takes longer explaining slowly and showing what is happening.

I would choose the animias pump if I was able to get a pump, because of the small delivery and I like the look better.

Will look forward to hear how things are going

Congratulations Sugarbum - I too am to become a pumper and cannot wait! I just have to wat until bump has arrived! But hopefully won't be too long after you!

I cannot wait to get pumping...haven't checked out all the pumps yet - but I do not think I particularly want one with all the bells and whistles - as I trust my self more(!) - just want the least obtrusive that does the best increments! I really couldn't be bothered with one with all foods in - what a hassle - and I can react differently to the same food at different times and in different circumstance as I am sure a lot of people do!

My PCT favours the spirit at the moment. All PCT's do tie-ins for a certain length of time on a rotational basis with different pump supliers so I think a lot of it (unless you are buying your own) is to do with who your PCT has a current tie in with...! You are lucky you have a choice!

All systems GO!

Congratulations Sugarbum - I too am to become a pumper and cannot wait! I just have to wat until bump has arrived! But hopefully won't be too long after you!

I cannot wait to get pumping...haven't checked out all the pumps yet - but I do not think I particularly want one with all the bells and whistles - as I trust my self more(!) - just want the least obtrusive that does the best increments! I really couldn't be bothered with one with all foods in - what a hassle - and I can react differently to the same food at different times and in different circumstance as I am sure a lot of people do!

My PCT favours the spirit at the moment. All PCT's do tie-ins for a certain length of time on a rotational basis with different pump supliers so I think a lot of it (unless you are buying your own) is to do with who your PCT has a current tie in with...! You are lucky you have a choice!

Its funny admin, because I didnt think I had a choice, and then when I was I opted for what I thought I had no choice of in the first place!!

Its very exciting, I really feel like a small child. Now this REALLY is happening aafter all this time not only do I feel very grateful, I feel a little bit hesitant. I picked up some more lantus oweing on prescription yesterday and suddeny realised I wont need it, I have much more than the 6 week supply until the pump starts. Strange to think about not injecting- something it took me probably 3 years (if Im honest) to get my head in an ok place about. Weird. It almost brings me to address things in my life again that I hadnt considered an issue. Its all change! But I am feeling incredabily upbeat and positive about it, and whatever happens I will just deal with it. Ho-hum!

THE ORDER IS IN!!!! Medtronic in the CLEAR colour! I decided I liked the fact you could see the mechanics of it!

I am trying to get Diabetes UK to add this on to my contents insurrance- something that is proving harder than one would have anticipated!!!

Bev- I think this is something you guys will love, if you decide this is what suits you both best. I am blown away this week by the technology and science, but yet the ease and useability of these pumps for a technophobe like me! Will keep you posted. xx

Might be a silly question, but don't you need to have some lantus and NR on standby, in case the pump develops a fault? I hope it never does, of course!🙂

I've come into this way late but just to say a) Sugarbum: we've now *got* E's clear medtronic, and it is pretty fab. So tiny and suave. b) yes Northerner you do have to have supplies around; indeed one hassle of pumping that I can gather is that you always have to have an extra infusion set and a pen with you just in case, rather than just the pens on MDI. c) so many congratulations!

I think you are right about re-assessing things. Even only six months (in one week) in, I can see that pumping will change the way we think about things, and how we've had to adjust ourselves. It will be an entirely different kind of adjustment. We haven't had the chance yet to do the pump school, though I have looked at the book, and found myself rather swimming in it all..it's the jargon. Another language. But I know it'll settle.

Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back