Medtronic 780 and simplera sensors

I am using the 2/3 day cannulas. I tried the extended ones for 7 days, but found that I got skanky cannula sites. Happy to change every 2/3 days as necessary. Our hospital is hapoy too take back unopened boxes of stuff. I am about to start on the new Simplera sensors, and have a number of the Guardian 4s which they are happy to take back if unopened.

I hope your sensor start goes well @heathero . Let us know how it goes.

Hi thanks for your response it was very useful. I asked about the 3 day cannula. Apparently 7 day not often used for adults due to higher Basel / boluses needed than children . Which I hadn’t really thought about. Now got Medtronic attached needing usual corrections day and night. Next Wednesday have group training session to add reader . Currently looking for holder re Medtronic especially so far for night time and exercise. Thanks again.
I just let my pump roam free in the night, and now automatically check that it is the same side as my sensor when I turn over. During the day
I have the pump in a pouch that I hook on my bra strap. Or
I have it in a pocket of a dress with the cable coming through a small hole I put in the seam within the pocket. Or
I stuff it in the strap of my bra under my arm if there are no pockets in a dress.

I hope that helps

Hi all, I’ve been an avid follower of the “pumping and technology” but this is my first time putting my head above the parapet.
I recently moved from a Medtronic 670 pump and guardian 3 sensor to the 780 pump and Simplera synch sensors as part of my 4 year cycle. I have now finished my first box of sensors i.e. 5 sensors and this my experience of the new sensor and HCL that it facilitates. Compared to the G3/G4 it’s simple to insert, it’s a one person job, no fiddly tapes, no recharging, if’s almost the same as a Libre but, maybe, the spring gun might not be as crisp as the Libre inserter. I use an op site flexifix cover over it to prevent the rugby jersey doing its worst. It does take a 2 hour warm up but then goes straight into smartguard ( HCL) after that. The first few hours after insertion can give a few shaky readings until the filament “wets”. When you accept a blood sugar from the paired monitor the sensor will start to calibrate. If your BS reading and the sensor reading are not within 45% of each other then the calibration will not be accepted and it will ask you to calibrate again. I think you only get two attempts at this before it will tell you to replace the sensor which might be a pain. I find if you wait a few hours the sensor reading and the BS will be near each other and calibration is easy then. I didn’t have any sensors fail in my first box.
Smartguard, Medtronic’s name for a hybrid closed loop, gives you an option of 3 target blood sugars, 5.5, 6.1 and 6.7. I chose 6.1 initially but found it too aggressive and moved to 6.7 which suits me nicely.
If I am allowed stand on my soapbox, can I recommend the benefits of a HCL. As many have said, you can just let it do the work. I always wake up with a BS between 6.5 and 6.8. I do tell it what I’m eating and I do count carbs but I don’t have to be as accurate as before because it will compensate for my poor assessment of what I’m eating. I’m absolutely sure that this is the future of diabetic management and the sooner the NHS/government step up and offer pumps to diabetics the better.

Back