Medic Alert Bling :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddie99

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hello all,

I myself wear a medic alert dog tag style thing to let people know what I have if I can't tell them myself. Out of curiosity what does everyone else choose to (or not to) use?

Tom H

I have a bracelet which has a meditag on it, looks like a tiffany bracelet so its really nice, you would only notice close up as it is engraved with all my details!

Haven't got one yet. Suppose I should. Still umming and ahing over having stainless steel or silver. 😛

When I decide I'll probably have the fact that I've got type 1 diabetes and that I'm on insulin. Probably also my blood type on there and my name. Wouldn't want to bother with a phone number or address in case it changes!

If I get the stainless steel bracelet it is a bit cheaper but the bracelet would be just a little too big for me whereas the silver one would be almost spot on in terms of size. :D

That sounds like a promising conversation in the future!

"So Marc, why did you get the silver bracelet and not the stainless steel one?"

"Well I'm glad you asked, the silver one was a better fit."

"Riiiiight"

😎

Ize got de solid gold bling from Medic Alert - got it years ago and its worn very well.

I like it a the critical conditions are engraved on the disc, you then have a unique number a medical professional can call to get other medical information and current medication etc.

There are various other schemes including a USB dongle with all your details in a proprietory format, not much use to an ambulance crew when they forgot their laptop 😱

Regarding materials, a lot of it comes down to you skin type, I am fairly acidic and find gold wears better than other materials. But then the price tag reflects this, I think I've had mine 8 years now and its still perfectly clear - I provided my own chain, spent ?50 over the years repairing it - wear and tear and the odd enthusiastic dog!

I have a double dog tag one just has my basic details such as name, type 1 diabetes and insulin dependant.
The other has a usb and has all details which can be changed whenever I need to

Hello all,

I myself wear a medic alert dog tag style thing to let people know what I have if I can't tell them myself. Out of curiosity what does everyone else choose to (or not to) use?

Tom H

Hi tom ive got a medic alert dog tag with all my details , that i'm on insulin etc. thinking about maybe getting a bracelet though :D Although i have been thinking about getting a medic alert tattoo..:confused: just abit worried about infection/ not healing etc Last time i had a tattoo i wasn't diabetic 🙂

I have a Medic Alert bracelet, but may go to a dog tag style when I get round to updating my details. Never had a problem with it and would recommend Medic Alert to anyone.

I've got a friend who has a jewellery making business and makes her own glass beads so she made me a lovely beaded bracelet and we added a silver tag to it which has all the information on it. I really like it as it looks like a normal bracelet but is still quite clear that it has information on it, I'll try to put a pic on here, it's quite new and I'm really pleased with it...!!!

Last edited:
Used to use a "Talisman" bracelet (had both stainless steel and siver) now have one on a watchstrap which is much safer and more unintrusive.

now have one on a watchstrap which is much safer and more unintrusive.

That's why I've dispensed with the old bracelet/watch strap thing. I was always asked by people who don't know me why I wear two watches. It's a bit annoying and my bracelet is a bit minging so it had to go basically.

Tom H

I've got a friend who has a jewellery making business and makes her own glass beads so she made me a lovely beaded bracelet and we added a silver tag to it which has all the information on it. I really like it as it looks like a normal bracelet but is still quite clear that it has information on it, I'll try to put a pic on here, it's quite new and I'm really pleased with it...!!!

Hi Aymes, your bracelet is gorgeous!!!! I love it. Is your friend selling them??? Would love one, i have looked at bracelets but haven't found one i liked.:(

Hi Aymes, your bracelet is gorgeous!!!! I love it. Is your friend selling them??? Would love one, i have looked at bracelets but haven't found one i liked.:(

lol, really wasn't trying to get her customers! She makes everything to order, think mine is the only medical one she's done so far! If you did want to look into it pm me and I'll send you website details.

i haz da medic alert bling roundz ma neck homz and it safe like!!!!

lol i have a gold medic alert pendant on a chain which was bought for me when i became a diabetic. i in turn have now bought both my mum and aunty one each as they are now type 2. they are so easy to wear and very unobtrusive too.

ok just to prove im a bad diabetic once more... I wear nothing. I had one of those keyrings with glucose tablets in it, but I dont use it anymore. And I used to have a card in my wallet but that has dissapeared too. tut. I go out and get hidiously drunk so i really should have something.

lol i have a card in my wallet but very very rarely take my wallet anywhere with me. so im not that much better katie 😉

lol yeah i do haz me bling!!!!!

so whats your fave tipple then katie??

ok just to prove im a bad diabetic once more... I wear nothing...

Surely, that's a nudist not a bad diabetic? Sorry, I'll get me coat...:D

I just carry a card with me, but not always, especially if out for a run as it doesn't fit in those little pockets and I hate wearing 'bumbags'

lol and he's quick with the replies again tonight 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back